[Politics] BBC Sports Personality of the Year Official Thread

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Here we go. People who have left us

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Alex Scott looks like she put on quite a few extra pounds. Still she looks better than Claire Baldwin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That was very well done

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Unbelievable.
Award to someone who coached a team that came runner up.

This is why the England team never win anything. Over criticised when they fail, over praised when they lose in a final or semi.

The wonderful thing for the rest of the world is that statistically, the more you lose penalty shootouts, the worse you get. The teams that pull in all the international trophies have amazing penalty shoot-out stats. For that reason, I don’t follow international football or England anymore, they can never win because they will always eventually face a team like Portugal, Germany, Argentina, Brazil or Italy who can then just play for a draw, knowing England will collapse in the shoot-out.

And what better manager of England to face if you are just trying to get a draw? Step forward Gareth Southgate.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Nope. She won 1 tournament

Poor Sarah

British public turning this into yet another farce of a result. All the wimbledon luvvies voting for a young woman who has won one major tennis tournament. Probable the same people who voted buffoon Johnson into power.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
British public turning this into yet another farce of a result. All the wimbledon luvvies voting for a young woman who has won one major tennis tournament. Probable the same people who voted buffoon Johnson into power.
Completely ignoring the circumstances she won in. It was one of the biggest moments in British sport in the last 10 years.

Bizarre comment about voting for Johnson. There's no link there whatsoever.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Tom Daley second, before Adam Peatty, wow, what are people thinking!
Emma Raducanu is probably right.

Adam has won more than both. But that means nothing compared to a pretty 18 year old.
She is lovely but did not deserve that title.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I used to love SPOTY as a kid as it meant that Christmas was just around the corner. Can understand why people don't like it, but it has produced some heartwarming and emotional moments over the years, like the lifetime achievement award given to the sadly terminally ill Seve Ballasteros. Tear-jerking stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZRf4jlhsqY

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

Absolutely. Personally, I hate absolutely everyone who disagrees with my views on any subject. It could be sport, politics, Brexit - it doesn't matter. What I like to do is just dismiss everyone who dissents from my opinion, usually calling them "idiots" and the like.

You make an outstandingly astute point, which I must agree with. It seems blatantly obvious to me that anybody who voted Emma Raducanu SPOTY clearly also voted Conservative. That is just quality, crystal-clear logic.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Tories actually secretly plotted, conspiring with a shady cabal of "Wimbledon luvvies" in order to fix this competition in favour of Ms. Raducanu. It's the only possible solution that makes any sense.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Adam has won more than both. But that means nothing compared to a pretty 18 year old.
She is lovely but did not deserve that title.

Strictly on sporting achievement maybe, but in terms of exposure and popularity, tennis is on another stratosphere to swimming. I imagine that Emma has won more prize money than Adam ever has, in just her first year. She is a global superstar. This is a ‘personality’ award rather than best achievement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here