Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC Sports personality of the year 2012.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
It's a bit of a shame really that this year there are so many to choose from, and so many who deserve it.
Most years you struggle to find just one person who deserves it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
After Wiggins won his Gold, I'd have said that the book was closed.

However, Mo's TWO Golds may just have reopened it.

Personally, I'd still go for Wiggo.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
Which horsey one, won Gold for the FOURTH SUCCESSIVE Games?

Nay! (sorry couldn't resist it!). I know he did, and in his chosen field he is a legend. Total respect for the guy, but, SPOY is voted for by the public, so I don't think he will come too high in the rankings. Only my opinion, and I'm not bullying you.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
The rowers?

They were amazing, but not sure any individual one beats the others mentioned. Kath Grainger comes closest, but even though one gold following lots of silvers is incredible it doesn't match up with Ainslie's fourth straight gold, Farah's double gold or Wiggins' Tour/Gold double.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
women will vote Ennis. i'd have said it was a two horse race between Wiggins and Ennis, but Farah is an other contender. Wiggins to edge it i reckon.

nice to actually have competition for this, with sportmen who have actual personalities

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Anyone even thinking about wasting money elsewhere, needs to consider the power and numbers of the fanatical cycling lobby.

They managed to vote Cavendish to win SPOTY for winning a few TdF stages. What Wiggins has done, WAY surpasses that.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a separate set of awards for the Olympics, as well as the overall prize. In my opinion, Wiggins should win it for his TdF victory and the other races earlier in the year, regardless of his time trial gold medal. If this was the case, then I reckon Mo would win the 'Olympic' SPOTY, with Ennis second, and Hoy/Ainslie/Trott third.

Whatever happens, you know the BBC are going to go large on the whole affair. Special achievement award for Lord Coe?

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
What's wrong with the horsey ones??!!

Nothing at all, great respect for them and what they've achieved at the Olympics, but, as SPOY is voted for by the public, and I don't think equestrian sports have the same wide-ranging appeal as some others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here