Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] BBC Radio 6 Music

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well worth a listen, it lasted about 45 minutes. Bizarrely with a couple of contempory, unrelated songs in the middle to keep the hip-hop listeners on board.

I like Paul Morley, he evoked a feeling of real change musically in that era.

ZZT, Art of Noise, 'Moments in love', and once married to the lovely Claudia Brücken of the even lovelier Propaganda and the very bonkers 'Act'. But I digress.

Have some music :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux3u31SAeEM

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
R6 is the only music station I listen to, but I'm not as regular as many on here. What I have noticed of late, however, is the wonderful music that Tom Ravenscroft plays.
I hadn't previously given him enough time which might be because (I think) he tends to fill in for others, but he contrives to introduce stuff I'm unfamiliar with, from a diversity of different genres -- is he the most 'eclectic' in what he plays on R6?
I like Marc Riley, Huey, Cerys, Craig Charles and, especially, Gilles Peterson, but they all remain largely wedded to certain particular styles whereas TR is trickier to pigeonhole

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
R6 is the only music station I listen to, but I'm not as regular as many on here. What I have noticed of late, however, is the wonderful music that Tom Ravenscroft plays.
I hadn't previously given him enough time which might be because (I think) he tends to fill in for others, but he contrives to introduce stuff I'm unfamiliar with, from a diversity of different genres -- is he the most 'eclectic' in what he plays on R6?
I like Marc Riley, Huey, Cerys, Craig Charles and, especially, Gilles Peterson, but they all remain largely wedded to certain particular styles whereas TR is trickier to pigeonhole

Nemone is amazing and she’s a really interesting person besides her R6 career, so talented. I don’t know if she has a regular show, she seems to sit in when others are on leave. She builds a mini meditation into the show, related to her other career in wellbeing.

I didn’t try R6 for years, wrongly presuming it was created for teens and 20’s, playing just Hip-Hop, Drill and Rap.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Tom Ravenscroft is a chip off the old block .... (hope that's how the saying goes :rolleyes:)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
TR is good, Gideon Coe is also another not afraid to play what he wants.

Both have plaid the Dials on more than one occasion so always in my good books!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
TR is just fantastic all round, love his dry, self-deprecating delivery, very much in the mould of his pa as pearl says.

I should love Hooo Stevens but I can't abide his very Welsh accent :)

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I maintain a love/hate relationship with R6 and listen to it a lot less these days.

Don't really like the daytime presenters between Lauren Laverne and Marc Riley, or the Sunday stuff that follows Cerys.

Tom Ravenscroft is excellent, as others have said. At the other end of the spectrum we have Mary Ann Hobbes and Jamz Supernova (I can forgive the latter though – I appreciate the schedule needs to accommodate people younger and cooler than I am).

My main beef is the playlist behind the playlist, if you like. So predictable and boring to play the same three Ramones and Bow Wow Wow songs on rotation when so much other great stuff from the past 40 years is overlooked.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
^ the stupid name Jamz Supernova makes me switch off every single :amex:
Similarly, I can't cope with Gemma Cairney dropping her T's all the frickin time. Grrrrr. Lauren Laverne does it to a lesser extent, but I can forgive LL anything.
:)

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
^ the stupid name Jamz Supernova makes me switch off every single :amex:
Similarly, I can't cope with Gemma Cairney dropping her T's all the frickin time. Grrrrr. Lauren Laverne does it to a lesser extent, but I can forgive LL anything.
:)

Forgot about Gemma Cairney. I'm sure she's lovely in real life but I don't listen to R6 to be bombarded with "how ya DOIN?? Whatchoo WEARIN? I wanna hear all about it!!!"

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I maintain a love/hate relationship with R6 and listen to it a lot less these days.

Don't really like the daytime presenters between Lauren Laverne and Marc Riley, or the Sunday stuff that follows Cerys.

Tom Ravenscroft is excellent, as others have said. At the other end of the spectrum we have Mary Ann Hobbes and Jamz Supernova (I can forgive the latter though – I appreciate the schedule needs to accommodate people younger and cooler than I am).

My main beef is the playlist behind the playlist, if you like. So predictable and boring to play the same three Ramones and Bow Wow Wow songs on rotation when so much other great stuff from the past 40 years is overlooked.

Iggy has moved to Sundays now (4pm to 6pm)

I loved the 4 weeks Ezra Furman covered Family Guy Garvey. They played some amazing stuff.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here