Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC Pronunciation

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
What is the difference between an 'Islamist' militant, and an 'Islamic' militant? :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What is the difference between an 'Islamist' militant, and an 'Islamic' militant? :shrug:

I don't know, what is the difference between an 'Islamist' militant, and an 'Islamic' militant?

(I hope the punch line is good)

A few years back, during the conflict in Lebanon, the BBC had a problem with "Shiite guerrillas" constantly being mispronounced. So they decreed that the term would be changed to "Lesbianese terrorists".

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I hate the way we word change nowadays. Wouldn't it be a shame if my favourite pot noodle became a Mumbai bad boy ???

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
The standard of English language usage has somewhat declined over the years on the BBC. Recently I heard a newsreader say "half nine" when it should have been nine thirty of course. They also mix up who and whom. I won't start on the subject of prepositions as that rule seems to have gone out of favour everywhere.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Islamist is a noun, and islamic is an adjective, so one is just a name and the other is a describing word.

Whilst we are on the subject of grammar, you may have noticed that the tabloids describe a person as an 'English' striker, whislt the broadsheets would write 'England' striker. Again, one is an adjective, the other a name.

All very interesting stuff! :yawn:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Ist and Ic

I feel sick

Maybe stici

Maybe cisti

Perhaps its CI

Or maybe I is CT

Giraffe head about to fall off, goodbye.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
A few years back, during the conflict in Lebanon, the BBC had a problem with "Shiite guerrillas" constantly being mispronounced. So they decreed that the term would be changed to "Lesbianese terrorists".

"Lesbianese terrorists" - do they shave their heads and run around in dungarees forcing women to have sex with them? - I'll have to look into this :p

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's political correctness gone mad.

I blame the Socialites.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Whilst we are on the subject of grammar, you may have noticed that the tabloids describe a person as an 'English' striker, whislt the broadsheets would write 'England' striker. Again, one is an adjective, the other a name.
They're not the same thing though: an England striker is a striker who plays for England (eg Wayne Rooney) while an English striker is a striker who's English (eg Will Hoskins). Not all English strikers play for England (very few do) and not all England players are English (Matt Le Tiss, Owen Hargreaves etc)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Whilst we're on the subject has anyone noticed the demise of the definite and indefinite articles? This is especially true in tabloid journalism. For example the sentence: "The actor Tom Cruise and his former wife Nicole Kidman" is often written/said as "Actor Tom Cruise and former wife Nicole Kidman."

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Could an 'Islamist' militant be someone who was militant due to their Islamic beliefs, and an 'Islamic' militant is a militant who happens to have Islamic beliefs?
That's my guess

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I wasn't asleep; I was just resting my eyes.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
A while back Auntie Beeb also stopped saying 'next of kin have been informed', instead saying 'family have been told', as apparently we are all too thick to understand the former. :sigh:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Islamist is as in Islamism, essentially an Islamic political ideology.

Islamic is just to used describe anything or anyone Muslim

Spot on.

The standard of English language usage has somewhat declined over the years on the BBC. Recently I heard a newsreader say "half nine" when it should have been nine thirty of course. They also mix up who and whom. I won't start on the subject of prepositions as that rule seems to have gone out of favour everywhere.

I rather hope newsreaders don't mix up who and whom on the Beeb. They don't when I write their scripts, anyway. But what's wrong with "half nine"? Everyone says it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
A while back Auntie Beeb also stopped saying 'next of kin have been informed', instead saying 'family have been told', as apparently we are all too thick to understand the former. :sigh:

That makes perfect sense though. Far better to speak in plain English than the type of language that would only ever be used in official statements or by the tax man/council/government ministers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here