Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC Pronunciation

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
That makes perfect sense though. Far better to speak in plain English than the type of language that would only ever be used in official statements or by the tax man/council/government ministers.

It's also probably better as a descriptive. If someone died and it was about to be a big news story you hope they tell all of his immediate family not just his next of kin

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A few years back, during the conflict in Lebanon, the BBC had a problem with "Shiite guerrillas" constantly being mispronounced. So they decreed that the term would be changed to "Lesbianese terrorists".

18 stone women built like a brick shithouse wearing a strap-on would terrorise us all.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Has anyone noticed a gradual move toward the Americanisation of team sports whereby we would say "Brighton ARE doing well this year". American commentators tend to treat teams as a single entity and would say "Brighton IS doing well this year" I've heard this sort of thing a few times recently.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Has anyone noticed a gradual move toward the Americanisation of team sports whereby we would say "Brighton ARE doing well this year". American commentators tend to treat teams as a single entity and would say "Brighton IS doing well this year" I've heard this sort of thing a few times recently.
Yes! Peter Roebuck was a bugger for that. Annoys the f*** out of me! Just waiting now for some oh-so-trendy and with-it football commentator to say something like "And Chelsea HAS the ball at the edge of IT'S penalty area" and I shall explode with petulant frustration.

Last edited:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
If I were a Muslim, I would object to the term Islamist in connection with terrorists and political rebels...They are not representative of normal Islam. The media long ago stopped referring to the Republicans of Northern Ireland by their religion (Catholic)

If I were a Muslim, that is........

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
About a year ago, listening to Radio 4 and the 10pm news and the newsreader mentioned 'the Taliban in Afghanistan' or as she said it 'the Tarleybarn in Arfgharneestarn'. :angry:

They're not the same thing though: an England striker is a striker who plays for England (eg Wayne Rooney) while an English striker is a striker who's English (eg Will Hoskins). Not all English strikers play for England (very few do) and not all England players are English (Matt Le Tiss, Owen Hargreaves etc)

This. It's really irritating when certain commentators use the former when meaning the latter!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here