Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC news about the gay chants.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I give a shit, and it is completely different to what scousers are called.

Are you a parent, do you take your kids to the game?

How would you feel if a group of fans asked if you 'passed your son around'

How would you explain to your son or daughter that you are not 'aids ridden scum'

Do you just laugh it off when you're asked 'if you take it up the arse' in front of your children?

Think of it through the eyes and ears of a parent and tell me it's just harmless banter.

As per my answer in another thread -

Lets take the homophobia out of football chants. What are we left with? F**k, c**k, c**t, w****r, t****r, a******e, k**b etc etc, is that any better for little Johnny's tender ears? If you don't like the language used in football stadia don't go there, dont bang on about homophobia which neither you are your child really understand.

What are they singing about? As a parent there are many questions that have to be answered, or ignored, until a more suitable time arises, this is just another one.

_mark_

Aug 24, 2011
What about when almost the whole of the NS were singing "We just ###### up the arse" to Palace when we were 3 nil up? Doesn't this smack of double standards?

Sticks and stones and all that.

Premiership Dream

Nov 16, 2011
I've taken my niece and nephew to football......... 11 and 9 years old ( in the family stand)......they have asked whats being sung by fans, as they are in the right area (family stand) they cant make it out and if I think the might of heard I just tell them they heard wrong......they look confused, but never question it.

D

Deleted member 22389

What about when almost the whole of the NS were singing "We just ###### up the arse" to Palace when we were 3 nil up? Doesn't this smack of double standards?

Sticks and stones and all that.

lol. Homophobic chanting will never ever stop inside grounds, that part of the battle is lost in my opinion. How are you going to stop it.

Where it does have to stop is outside the grounds. When the game is over and finished this is where it crosses the line in my opinion.
Away supporters should understand that children go to football too, and they should be setting an example if they have any brains.
They certainly wouldn't like it in front of their own kids.

Homophobic abuse will never be considered as bad as racism and that's why people to do it, they know they can get away with it. Seems to me the FA really don't care about it either. I think they are scared of being called nancy boys.

Scroll to the end of the PDF you will see what chants have been recorded and where.
http://gallery.mailchimp.com/38d8d5e8ac4afcc7ebb76a252/files/Report_into_abuse_at_BHA_games_March_2013.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
these BHA fans who reported this to the FA are idiots.

1) its banter.
2) each club gets mocked for something - its a laugh.
3) its things like this that make political correctness go too far.
4) soon we wont even be able to sing "1-0 to the albion" as it hurts the away fans feelings.
5) made the whole club and fans look like idiots, needing to tell the teacher.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
lol. Homophobic chanting will never ever stop inside grounds, that part of the battle is lost in my opinion. How are you going to stop it.

Where it does have to stop is outside the grounds. When the game is over and finished this is where it crosses the line in my opinion.
Away supporters should understand that children go to football too, and they should be setting an example if they have any brains.
They certainly wouldn't like it in front of their own kids.

Homophobic abuse will never be considered as bad as racism and that's why people to do it, they know they can get away with it. Seems to me the FA really don't care about it either. I think they are scared of being called nancy boys.

Scroll to the end of the PDF you will see what chants have been recorded and where.
http://gallery.mailchimp.com/38d8d5e8ac4afcc7ebb76a252/files/Report_into_abuse_at_BHA_games_March_2013.pdf

If internet forums were around in the 1970's 1980's would you not have found the same arguments saying Racism would never be removed from football chants.

Football has changed drastically in my lifetime and most for the better, the atmosphere at the AMEX has been brilliant and I would say 95% of it is not offensive to anyone.

If the FA are not bothered why do they get involved with campaigns like this

[yt]1270cn0YxSo[/yt]

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
See I think some are fine.The 'does your boyfriend know your here' and 'we can see you holding hands' aren't really that homophobic. It's when it gets over the top is where it needs to stop.

Hmmm. Interesting. Surely chants are either homophobic or they're not? If 'mild' homophobia is ok can we apply the same rules to racism? We'll allow away fans to sing "Touch of the tarbrush, you've got a touch of the tarbrush!" to Liam Bridcutt as it isn't really THAT racist compared to what he could be called.

Sorry I'm not picking on you I just think there are quite a lot of people who haven't thought the issue through fully. Don't bother answering, no one else has answered my questions on the other threads!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I heard the BBC Five Live feature about this on the morning show and found the whole thing cringeworthy. We're not that far away from an Albion fan being arrested for singing "You're Too Ugly To Be Gay".

supergeorge

Sep 7, 2009
As per my answer in another thread -

Lets take the homophobia out of football chants. What are we left with? F**k, c**k, c**t, w****r, t****r, a******e, k**b etc etc, is that any better for little Johnny's tender ears? If you don't like the language used in football stadia don't go there, dont bang on about homophobia which neither you are your child really understand.

What are they singing about? As a parent there are many questions that have to be answered, or ignored, until a more suitable time arises, this is just another one.

You my friend are missing the point entirely, is it not you that fails to understand the situiation.

Your solution just seems to be 'well don't go then' is that really the answer, what does that achieve? Talk about burying you head in the sand, "if I cant hear it, it's not happening".

The list of swear words you have written are unfortunately part of everyday life and although you can't protect children from it you can make them aware of them and educate them accordingly. The use of these words is completely different to the abuse dished out.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Hmmm. Interesting. Surely chants are either homophobic or they're not? If 'mild' homophobia is ok can we apply the same rules to racism? We'll allow away fans to sing "Touch of the tarbrush, you've got a touch of the tarbrush!" to Liam Bridcutt as it isn't really THAT racist compared to what he could be called.

Sorry I'm not picking on you I just think there are quite a lot of people who haven't thought the issue through fully. Don't bother answering, no one else has answered my questions on the other threads!

I see where you're coming from, I'm not gay so to be fair I can't say how it feels.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You my friend are missing the point entirely, is it not you that fails to understand the situiation.

Your solution just seems to be 'well don't go then' is that really the answer, what does that achieve? Talk about burying you head in the sand, "if I cant hear it, it's not happening".

The list of swear words you have written are unfortunately part of everyday life and although you can't protect children from it you can make them aware of them and educate them accordingly. The use of these words is completely different to the abuse dished out.

Firstly, please try not to patronise with the 'you my friend' if you don't mind.

What would it achieve? It might stop football being destroyed as a passionate, tribal sporting spectacle by those who are so mock offended by real life rather than the sanitised version they would like us all to live in. As you rightly point out, it is for parents to make their children aware and educate them accordingly, not try to pretend that these things do not exist. If parents really cannot do that, then don't bring Johnny into any arena of life where he/or she might hear something naughty.

Southstandfaithful

Oct 22, 2010
H Heath
See I think some are fine. The 'does your boyfriend know your here' and 'we can see you holding hands' aren't really that homophobic. It's when it gets over the top is where it needs to stop.

I agree with this - there are a few chants that can be classed as banter.......... but the more offensive chants about diseases and the treatment the poster above has alluded to in front of he;s kids is not acceptable.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's also on sky sports news as part of the rotation. Interviews with fans and Liz costa (?). The report seemed to highlight more of the individuals hurling more graphic abuse, showing some undercover footage they had recoded last season.

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
Brighton fans sung: "We've just ****ed you up the arse". Is that acceptable because Brighton fans were singing it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here