Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC news about the gay chants.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Straight people like a**l sex, too!
Exactly. Ergo none of the sexual references can be classed as homophobic. If an away fan is collared by a steward because he's singing about 'that' sort of sexual congress (I'm trying to stay onside with google here) a legitimate defence (against homophobia) would be "I was singing it to one of the female Brighton fans in an attempt to fix up a date!"

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
What about when almost the whole of the NS were singing "We just ###### up the arse" to Palace when we were 3 nil up? Doesn't this smack of double standards?

Sticks and stones and all that.

It's called biting satire. Football supporters use it occassionally. :)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What a waste of time, perhaps when we chant you dirty northern *******s we are just as bad.

LAMBRETTA MAN

Feb 5, 2012
Brighton supporters club ....well done .....NOT IN MY NAME...without banter the game is nothing, don't destroy it even further ffs. :tosser:

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Exactly. Ergo none of the sexual references can be classed as homophobic. If an away fan is collared by a steward because he's singing about 'that' sort of sexual congress (I'm trying to stay onside with google here) a legitimate defence (against homophobia) would be "I was singing it to one of the female Brighton fans in an attempt to fix up a date!"

Come on Brovian, you ol' advocate of Beelzebub. You're just being daft now. Still, makes a refreshing change from the host of Divs on here who think it's an affront to their proppa football credentials if certain insulting language/behaviour are taken out of the game. You'd think the sound of Monkey-noises & racist chants should never have been eradicated the way some folk go on...

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I think this is just us preparing for the Premiership. You cant go up there unless you are whining about something wrong in football.

On a serious note, I'm not really that bothered, sticks and stones and all that. My Dad used to flick me in the back of the ear if someone called me a name and I let it get to me.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
What a waste of time, perhaps when we chant you dirty northern *******s we are just as bad.

Exactly. Where do you draw the line? Where will terrace banter be in 10/20 years time? I dread to think. You can't call Ipswich the tractor boys!! That's discrimination.

Liz Costa you do NOT speak for me that is certain

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I recall singing a few years ago at Blundell Park

"You can't read and You can't write, but that don't really matter, You support Grimsby Town, and you can drive a trawler"

Does that mean I discriminate against people who have reading difficulties, or who get seasick easily?

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Exactly. Where do you draw the line? Where will terrace banter be in 10/20 years time? I dread to think. You can't call Ipswich the tractor boys!! That's discrimination.

Liz Costa you do NOT speak for me that is certain

Too right! I mean, the fact that they proudly refer to themselves as such is neither here nor there. :facepalm:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'd have thought the key thing about 'banter' is that it should be in some way amusing and not hateful. Sadly, that no longer seems to be the case (or, more accurately, some people are unable to distinguish where that line is). Most people are going to swear at football at some point, maybe even quite a lot. That won't change and I don't think anyone's trying to change it. But there's a big difference between shouting 'oh f*** off' at a bad decision and calling someone, for instance, a "f***ing rent boy".

That's not banter. It's abuse and getting rid of it won't harm the atmosphere at all.

Besides, on the law of averages, a fair proportion of our supporters are gay (and, if not, we should wonder why considering the football club represents our city). If they find the abuse unacceptable, then as a fellow Albion fan, I'm with them all the way. We wouldn't put up with monkey gestures and this is no different.

supergeorge

Sep 7, 2009
Firstly, please try not to patronise with the 'you my friend' if you don't mind.

What would it achieve? It might stop football being destroyed as a passionate, tribal sporting spectacle by those who are so mock offended by real life rather than the sanitised version they would like us all to live in. As you rightly point out, it is for parents to make their children aware and educate them accordingly, not try to pretend that these things do not exist. If parents really cannot do that, then don't bring Johnny into any arena of life where he/or she might hear something naughty.

I'm not patronising you in any way. Your views are wholly different to mine, I disagree with your opinions of football being destroyed entirely. Your ideas seem to suggest we go back to the 80's where people didn't go to football for fear of violence and just ignore the issues in the hope they go away. For football to progress it has to move forward, if you dont like the sanatised version you deem it to be then why not take your own advice and not bother going.

As for mock offended by real life, really? Where else do you go outside of football and get the abuse that is aimed at us as Brighton fans?

I for one want to be able to take my family to football without fear of violence and abuse, what is so wrong with that?

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I recall singing a few years ago at Blundell Park

"You can't read and You can't write, but that don't really matter, You support Grimsby Town, and you can drive a trawler"

Does that mean I discriminate against people who have reading difficulties, or who get seasick easily?

No, it means that you joined in with a rubbish chant: started by a numpty who evidently knew nothing about acceptable seafaring lingo. :thumbsup:

ps Did you give it the 'Sing when you're fishing ditty' perchance? I'm sure they'd have rejoiced in the originality of it all. Marvelous.

LAMBRETTA MAN

Feb 5, 2012
Find it really odd that it is not the gay fans that are actually making the complaint....so if it don't bother them then why let it bother all the so called political correctness brigade ...get a life....

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Find it really odd that it is not the gay fans that are actually making the complaint....so if it don't bother them then why let it bother all the so called political correctness brigade ...get a life....

According to ssn, a gay supporters group is one of the ones complaining along with Liz costa's group

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've seen it twice and both times it did mention a gay supporters group.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here