Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC Football Website Again

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Highlights are a nightmare as well. Only way of getting through all the games in one league is to select the league, look at the results, and then USUALLY the highlights are embedded in the match report. Compared to the old site when they were simply listed on the right hand side. Absolute garbage, and the live text is shit too.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Sorry, but if you can't find the fixtures or the tables I can assure you the problem is with you NOT the site.

Can I suggest that you read that statement again and when you have done so you have the good grace to apologise for your unforgivable arrogance.

My second suggestion is that having done that, you should strongly consider an immediate career change

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sorry, but if you can't find the fixtures or the tables I can assure you the problem is with you NOT the site. There is no doubt that, if anything, finding these things is easier now than it was on the old site.

The site is MUCH better now with some nice new features thrown in too. Sure there are problems, but it's a new launch and they'll get ironed out.

06.jpg

Couldn't work it out before, got it now!

"It's done when it's done."

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I think you are wrong and the OP is right - you now have to know which league games were played in and then update that specific competition. If I want to know who is playing tonight I now have to go through every league to find out - the drop down menu used to pre-select only those where games were being played but no longer does so.

It is way way more clumsy and less helpful than it was and I regularly tweet them on football, cricket and rugby hashtags to that effect - strangely they never publish the criticism.

Yes, I didn't realise they meant across all leagues.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's not just the football, they have messed up the whole site ! It used to be my first port of call for all sorts of information and now its just not worth the effort to try to hunt down what you want. Its easier to get a more succinct service on the Android BBC app and that's saying something !

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
As a professional web developer that has gone through the cycle of a website revamp on many occasions, I have to say that they don't seem to have taken any unwritten (or written) rules into consideration. I do wonder what their user testing base is and how big it is, because I can't think for one moment that many of those testers would have been happy with this complete change. Changes to a major website should be taken in bite size chunks to allow the user to gradually get the feeling of what is going on, the navigation, ease of use, finding the information important to that person, etc. With an institution like the BBC this revamp will have cost a small fortune (many thousands) as it is public money paying for it, and we all know how public money is wasted. It will have gone through various stages and taken many months, if not running into the year to plan it. The planning meetings would have seen various templates to choose from, the web architect(s) would have been responsible for the navigation issues. The look and feel would probably have been a joint team decision along with the users that were testing.

I personally cannot for the life of me understand how they were happy with this complete change and were happy to 'press the button' from old to new. The yellow contrast is an absolute mess on accessibility standards straight away and will not fulfil any standards for people with bad sight or colour blindness. The yellow actually hurts my eyes, although my sight isn't the best in the world. The complete change in navigation and browsing is a shambles. It is actually alienating its reading base. I think they have made a huge cock up on this whole project, but get used to it, they won't be able to make major changes now, the budget will have been spent.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
They have responded to some of the criticisms here:

BBC - Sport Editors: Our new website - next steps

Well done to the designers - you've made me convert to Yahoo!s Eurosport site, which is far superior for score updates etc. Bye bye, BBC Football.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
If you look at the Championship page it shows just a few of next Saturdays games. So you click on more games to expand it and what do you get? Hundreds of games for the forseeable future. Not what is wanted and clearly a non-footballing person.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Just read that blog. "Showing all the matches on a given day is technically difficult but we are working on it"

What the !!!!!

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
The BBC have had to "cut costs" on many fronts so it seems totally unnecessary to spend money on things like the website that
didn't need fixing. Another waste was revamping the BBC7 website, (also annoying many of the users), only for it to then to be
changed again to BBC Radio 4 Extra. I also find it strange that you can't find a link to the videprinter on the football pages but if
you know the link (somebody put it up during a live match thread a couple of weeks ago) it still works, so they must have
someone working it, what's that all about? On the subject of clicks, it used to be 1. click on football, 2. click on the league you
wanted on the menu on the left. Now it's 1. click on football, 2. click on the drop down menu on the right 3. then click on league
you want, or scroll down to find links further down. That doesn't seem to be an improvement to me.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's very accessible unfriendly which given Govt. guidelines regarding publicly owned sites does surprise me.

Just read that blog. "Showing all the matches on a given day is technically difficult but we are working on it"

What the !!!!!

This suggests that the way the entire website has been designed is to segregate the leagues entirely from one another with no commonality (i.e. no one consolidated database of fixtures from which you could simply pick all fixtures with a given date, but instead a separate one for each league). Absolutely mental, whoever signed off that structure has surely received a severe bollocking. It will be interesting to see what they do with the other sports with multiple leagues (e.g. rugby union); I assume the plan was to adopt the same separation but they surely won't be able to in the face of all this criticism.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
I think the beeb have shot themselves in the foot with this one. It looks appalling. It's cluttered with far too much information on one page and the yellow is hard on the eyes. It wasn't broken and didn't need fixing.
The only good thing about it right at this minute is the glorious football headline " Mackail-Smith to start for Scots " and even that'll disappear after tomorrow

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here