Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC Children In Need... Feels wrong to me

Should the BBC have pulled Children in need at least for this year...

• Yes

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • No

Votes: 57 77.0%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 12 16.2%

• Total voters

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I totally disagree with the OP. The need to raise funds hasn't changed with the advent of the Savile case, and these scandals occurred in very different times at the BBC.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I am enjoying the Children in Need Olympic Bargain Hunt Special.... and Kate Bliss is one of my favourites :blush:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
"The Gay Deceiver" what a brilliant Bonus Buy from David Harper :laugh:

gaydecvr_1.jpg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Let's turn the question around. Can you imagine the outrage if the BBC DID pull the plug, thereby NOT raising c.£20 million for various needy causes? These terrible things happened, but there's nothing that can be done to change the past. Why should that affect what happens now?

I see what you're saying about "why not go and donate money anyway?", but I'm afraid people need a prompt to put their hands in their pockets. For me, it's pretty similar to advertising to make people buy products and services.

As someone that has seen, first hand, the benefits that Children in Need money has had on those nearest and dearest, I say let it carry on. Also, and this may not be the right way to view it, because child abuse is in the public eye in a big way at the moment, it may mean that more people donate more money.

If you don't to watch, donate any money, or, dare I say, enjoy the evening's viewing, then don't. But don't deprive those that do the opportunity to get involved.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I am concerned that donations will be down this year because of the problems the BBC have had, but none of those problems are to do with CIN, and if people don't give as much, it's the children that will suffer.
I see your point but I genuinely don't think that will happen, I think most people are intelligent enough to make the seperation between the current problems and the children who need support.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The majority of which knew of what was going on and covered it up.

intersting comment...have you specific evidence of this?

i am sure the police would like names of teh "majority", you accuse.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I see your point but I genuinely don't think that will happen, I think most people are intelligent enough to make the seperation between the current problems and the children who need support.
I hope you're right, we'll know tonight.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
I'm all for it however...

It does grate slightly when you hear Terry thank One Direction for 'appearing for nothing to help Children in Need'. So generous if them to publicise their Xmas single infront on a tv audience of ten million. Good lads!!

...or am I just getting old and crotchety?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I'm all for it however...

It does grate slightly when you hear Terry thank One Direction for 'appearing for nothing to help Children in Need'. So generous if them to publicise their Xmas single infront on a tv audience of ten million. Good lads!!

...or am I just getting old and crotchety?

If you are, so am I - seems to be more amd more the nmorm now though (weren't Little Mix also on?). Although I suppose you could say if they had people on who had nothing to promote you'd just end up with a load of people who nobody wanted to see in the first place :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Why no just give the money to worthy causes anyway, and scrap the evening of embarassing so-called "entertainment" by talentless z-listers.
It was quite funny watching the Strictly Come Dancing segment with Widdicombe and Grant wobbling round the floor, both are incredibly scary to grown ups let alone kids. But, the real laugh was the fact that Brucie said they had packed the audience with kids as it was for Children in Need but they had neglected to use a children's backing tape for the crowd " Reaction sounds " and so I noticed the usual screaming and whooping but at the wrong octave to be the kids.....who were sat still and stony faced in the audience. OOPS !

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
If you are, so am I - seems to be more amd more the nmorm now though (weren't Little Mix also on?). Although I suppose you could say if they had people on who had nothing to promote you'd just end up with a load of people who nobody wanted to see in the first place :thumbsup:

Promoting the single and then donating 5p from every download would seem better...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Witney offa eastenders has the voice of a diva.....that was incredible

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Don't watch any... Don't think we should have to pay a tv licence...

And here we hit the nail on the head. You don't want to have to pay for things and therefore any excuse to bash an institution that makes you part with money is being taken. Let me guess, you're also against speed cameras and "wasting my taxpayers money on those bloody immigrants and dole scroungers" You have with just 10 words, invalidated any argument you may have previously had or could have had in the future of this thread. Well done.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
And here we hit the nail on the head. You don't want to have to pay for things and therefore any excuse to bash an institution that makes you part with money is being taken. Let me guess, you're also against speed cameras and "wasting my taxpayers money on those bloody immigrants and dole scroungers" You have with just 10 words, invalidated any argument you may have previously had or could have had in the future of this thread. Well done.
well said :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here