Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC Children In Need... Feels wrong to me

Should the BBC have pulled Children in need at least for this year...

• Yes

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • No

Votes: 57 77.0%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 12 16.2%

• Total voters

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
It's awkward, but this is fairly strait forward. Should the BBC try and raise money to help disadvantage children in the UK, or say f*** it, let's not bother. I'm amazed that the most sensible answer isn't obvious to you.

I am simply playing devils advocate and airing the views of quite a few people....

I agree it should maybe go ahead but not the same big party smootzy shit... make it a little more serious... Just an idea... At least just drop the 'BBC' out of the title.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What should be stopped is people doing "crazy" things to collect money. Such as the fully grown men in girl's pyjamas that just passed my desk. The mentallists.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I am simply playing devils advocate and airing the views of quite a few people....

I agree it should maybe go ahead but not the same big party smootzy shit... make it a little more serious... Just an idea... At least just drop the 'BBC' out of the title.

what a spectacular u-turn.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What should be stopped is people doing "crazy" things to collect money. Such as the fully grown men in girl's pyjamas that just passed my desk. The mentallists.
I would be willing to donate money to prevent people doing the 'crazy' things. Maybe that's the idea...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Let them air their own views, and we can stone them.

The simple point is, they raise a lot of money and that money does a lot of good. Yes, some brilliant people on NSC would donate even if there wasn't a show, but the fact is (and this is not debatable) less money would be donated without the show, so the show must go on.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
To be fair "the powers that be" around Children in Need wanted Savile NOWHERE near it. Thank god.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Agree on the craziness.

I had a bacon and sausage bap delivered to my desk in the name of Children in Need this morning. Smothered in brown sauce. I'm all for it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Which of course makes you wonder if they knew...

I think it's fairly clear that many had, at the very least, suspicions about Savile, and many probably knew that he was untrustworthy around minors. However you cannot make public allegations without evidence. At the time there was no evidence, not least because no-one had come forward.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I bet you were LITERALLY laughing out loud at the crazy JAPES.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
By the OPs logic, should ALL organisations that help children that also have been implicated by the Savile case also be stopped from raising money/giving care to children?

For example, the NHS (at least all the hospitals involved in any sort of cover up) and the church (of whichever denomination, load of child abuse history there!)

Ridiculous thread. OP, are you rather young? Many of your posts appear to be that of someone who is rather naive/ignorant/immature. Not saying you ARE that but that's how your posts come across.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think it's fairly clear that many had, at the very least, suspicions about Savile, and many probably knew that he was untrustworthy around minors. However you cannot make public allegations without evidence. At the time there was no evidence, not least because no-one had come forward.

Yep indeed there were suspicions and I remember the chairman or whatever they are called of CIN saying they didnt feel comfortable with Savile. It could only be BECAUSE of the suspicions beause back in the day he was a huge fundraiser for Stoke Mandeville etc etc

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yep indeed there were suspicions and I remember the chairman or whatever they are called of CIN saying they didnt feel comfortable with Savile. It could only be BECAUSE of the suspicions beause back in the day he was a huge fundraiser for Stoke Mandeville etc etc

Indeed - he threatened the Sunday Mirror, who were going to go live with a (fairly flimsy, but now almost certainly true) story about his behaviour, and he responded with something along the lines of 'if you publish this, that's the fundraising for Stoke Mandeville gone. Is that what you want...?'

Different times, different attitudes - appalling outcomes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here