Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bastard Speed Cameras

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
On the Left Wing said:

Police could be better employed catching the muggers, car thieves, rapists and burglars who run rife in this part of the country!

I thought that's exactly why they use cameras instead to catch law-breaking motorists.

I remember a few years back when the police had to catch speeding motorists in person, everyone used to moan that they 'should be spending their time catching real criminals'. Now that they do that - and leave the cameras to catch the speeders and traffic-light jumpers - everyone moans about that instead. The cops can't win, can they?

Sadly, because of the way they have been shafted by successive governments, the police have to use cameras for a lot of things in order to free up more time for all the forms they have to fill in.

The real problem is speed cameras on motorways - why don't they keep the cameras in place but up the limit to, say, 80mph?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
because we do 90 spiros :lolol:

I sort of agree with you spiros, but locally I've never had a good word to say for them . . .the station is always closed, they dont turn up or give a shit about, theft, burglary, vandalism and graffiti, and I 've suffered the lot in the last 5 years, all they seem to do is fly around in their massively expensive helicopter and stick up speed cameras. and speed up our road at more than twice the speed limit on a daily basis :angry:

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
On the Left Wing said:
Know how you feel .... been done twice

But spare a thought for a 75 year old lady here in Sunderland who had never had a speeding conviction in her life ... then she was done 3 times at the same spot in just over an hour in February by a mobile camera.
She was taking her dogs in the back of her car for a walk on the beach. From memory she was doing 35mph, 38mph and 37pmh (or something like that) in a 30mph zone, where there were no visible speed signs.
She now has 9 points on her licence!
It has caused an outrage here and the story is continuingt to run in the local press.
Police could be better employed catching the muggers, car thieves, rapists and burglars who run rife in this part of the country!

I think speeding in a 30mph limit is the worst kind (worse than on a motorway). Its in these residential areas where there are more likely to be kids and the elderly that speed does need to be slower.

I'm not saying that I don't speed, but she got caught breaking the law, so tough shit.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was caught 12 months ago in Coldean Lane. Didn't even notice the flash. First I knew about it was the envelope dropping through my letterbox. £60 AND 3 Points!

Must say, I'm more careful now.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Highfields Seagull said:
I think speeding in a 30mph limit is the worst kind (worse than on a motorway). Its in these residential areas where there are more likely to be kids and the elderly that speed does need to be slower.

I'm not saying that I don't speed, but she got caught breaking the law, so tough shit.

It was the seafront road from Roker to Whitburn ...no schools, no residential area and poorly signed for 30mph.
It was a police mobile camera which caught her.
Until her case was in the press I didn't even know it was 30mph along that stretch of the road and swear I must have travelled it at 40mph plus many times.
Just feel that to do the woman 3 TIMES (9 points) was OTT. One penalty would have been reasonable and made her aware that she had exceeded the limit.
Having worked for local authorities (in PR and press) and sat through tedious planning committees many times when councillors determine speed restrictions for roads, I know they are often abitrary and sometimes based on ONE councillor's prejudices.
I also agree with the above that an 80mph speed limit on motorways is reasonable.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I guess it's annoying when you get done, but surely complaining about it is like shooting someone and then moaning to the judge about how unfair your subsequent life sentence is?

I find it all a bit tedious when the media get in a frenzy about "stealth taxes" on motorists for things like speeding or parking fines.

They're not stealth taxes, frankly they're completely avoidable: if you dont' want to pay a fine, don't speed! Park in a proper space, rather than on double yellow lines or in disabled spaces.

I freely admit I break the limit on a fairly regular basis (ahem, not that regularly, officer). But if i get caught, I'll hold my hands up. I'll be annoyed, but only with myself.

Just imagine for one moment you had young child who was killed by a speeding motorist, whether while crossing the road in a 30 zone, or in the back of a car hit by someone doing 100 on the motorway. Then how would you feel about the limits?

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
On the Left Wing said:
It was the seafront road from Roker to Whitburn ...no schools, no residential area and poorly signed for 30mph.
It was a police mobile camera which caught her.
Until her case was in the press I didn't even know it was 30mph along that stretch of the road and swear I must have travelled it at 40mph plus many times.
Just feel that to do the woman 3 TIMES (9 points) was OTT. One penalty would have been reasonable and made her aware that she had exceeded the limit.
Having worked for local authorities (in PR and press) and sat through tedious planning committees many times when councillors determine speed restrictions for roads, I know they are often abitrary and sometimes based on ONE councillor's prejudices.
I also agree with the above that an 80mph speed limit on motorways is reasonable.

The speed limit in this country is 30 mph except where signed differently.

If you have a road with no signs signalling a different speed limit the limit is 30.

Speed limits are not only designed for residential/schools (where the limit these days is likely to be 20) but for road conditions, bends hazards etc.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Linking this to football, I am definitely wary about driving to away matches and travelling on unfamiliar roads. Now, I've been done 3 times, twice on dual carriageways outside Sussex (73 mph Ilminster and 78mph Lincoln).

Speed cameras were introduced to save lives and give the police more time to solve other crime. Whilst they do save the police time the numbers of people dying on the roads is the same as before.

The main reason for more speed cameras is to raise money for the police.

mk_bha

Jul 14, 2003
use loophole in law - DONT SIGN THE FORM YOU WILL GET.

i got away with it.
EU law says you dont have to incriminate yourself so fill in form and dont sign it.

ask them where in law states that you have to sign.

check newsgroups in this matter - loads have done this including dwight york

:)

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
timco said:
The speed limit in this country is 30 mph except where signed differently.

If you have a road with no signs signalling a different speed limit the limit is 30.

Speed limits are not only designed for residential/schools (where the limit these days is likely to be 20) but for road conditions, bends hazards etc.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/

I always thought the speed limit was 60mph (70mph for dual carraiageways and motorways) UNLESS signed otherwise!

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
30mph (built up/residential areas), 60mph (single carriageway) and 70mph (dual carriageway & motorway) are the national speed limits. These apply unless stated otherwise.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I've always tried to drive in or around the speed limits (I very rarely get to 80 on a motorway, for example), but I got caught for doing 46 in a 40 zone (that I don't normally drive in, so didn't see the camera).

The number of cameras around these days there must be a lot of banned people.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
CAFC Matt said:
It's your own fault. You were breaking the law, if you don't then you dn't geyt punished. TOUGH :rolleyes:

Yeah, and there was a time when you could get deported to Australia for stealing a loaf of bread...

Just because it's the law of the land it doesn't make it right.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And as for moaning that they only exist to raise more money for the police: as with most public services they are chronically underfunded, so what's wrong with that? It's not as though it's going in some fat director's pocket is it?

Unless you'd rather pay higher council tax to fund the police better?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here