Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bastard Speed Cameras

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Highfields Seagull said:
30mph (built up/residential areas), 60mph (single carriageway) and 70mph (dual carriageway & motorway) are the national speed limits. These apply unless stated otherwise.

But what defines a built up/residential area in say Sussex is miles removed from what is defined the same way in say Northumberland or even the Highlands of Scotland.

I was once done for doing 41mph in a 30mph village/hamlet in Galloway (south west Scotland). The copper asked me whether I realised the speed I was travelling at in a built-up area. I looked around and all I could see were hills and fields, one bungalow and a pub and church in the far distance!
But 3 points and a £30 fine and I didn't speed there again!

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Pavilionaire said:

Just because it's the law of the land it doesn't make it right.

Couldn't agree more, people won't travel at 70 on a motorway if it's not a sensible speed, as is the case - it's not a matter of simply resenting the punishment, the law should be realistic and in touch with necessity - 20 outisde schools, heavily pedestrian-dominated areas, but 85 or so on normal motorways, with some sensibel exceptions (i.e. Handcross Hill)

Doing 70 in the outside lane is hardly safe, is it? Neither is doing 30 along a narrow, parked-up street at 3.10pm on a schoolday

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
On the Left Wing said:
I always thought the speed limit was 60mph (70mph for dual carraiageways and motorways) UNLESS signed otherwise!
Incorrect the speed limit is 30 unless signed other wise. The national speed limit is as stated 60 or 70 depending on the number of lanes and road designation.

This is however signed like this you don't see this sign or any other speed sign the speed is 30.

Attachments

• sign039.gif
    sign039.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 108

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Didn't they used to have pictures like that on ask the family.

Ooh ooh it's a screw

I think the problem is that people have lost respect for what is largely an outdated set of speed limits.

Drop the limit to 20mph in school zones at school times, but increase motorway limit to 90.

Most people do not travel at 70 anymore anyway. This limit was set in the 1960s when cars were not capable of safely travelling at higher speeds anyway. Even if the government decides not to grant a higher limit, the one thing they must not do is actively enforce the 70mph (eg with digital speed cameras). This will result in most cars being forced to travel at 70mph +/- 3mph. Result = shitloads more accidents due to impatience and tailgating as it takes forever to overtake anyone :shootself

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Dont know if this is a local Problem but ive seen a few signs recently implying that speed cameras are about and havent seen any.
A sign on the A27 at Firle Straight has been up for about 3 months, not a sign of any camera.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
edna krabappel said:
And as for moaning that they only exist to raise more money for the police: as with most public services they are chronically underfunded, so what's wrong with that? It's not as though it's going in some fat director's pocket is it?

Unless you'd rather pay higher council tax to fund the police better?

In my world there would be no need for the extra revenue that speed cameras bring or any need to hike up council tax. Two measures:

1. Legalise all drugs.
2. Liberalise licencing laws to discourage binge drinking.

i.e. let's be a more tolerant society and stop fucktards like Blair telling us what we can smoke / drink / inject, where we can do it, when we can do it, how fast we can't drive etc etc.

Tax drugs to pay for the national destruction of speed cameras.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Pavilionaire said:
In my world there would be no need for the extra revenue that speed cameras bring or any need to hike up council tax. Two measures:

1. Legalise all drugs.
2. Liberalise licencing laws to discourage binge drinking.

i.e. let's be a more tolerant society and stop fucktards like Blair telling us what we can smoke / drink / inject, where we can do it, when we can do it, how fast we can't drive etc etc.

Tax drugs to pay for the national destruction of speed cameras.

On point 1, I assume you mean de-criminalise?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Nah, make it legal and all above board. The government should tax it like cigarettes and alcohol. Crime would be cut by half overnight if it was done right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here