Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Basle v Manchester U

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Lyon qualify against the odds

AJAX get overtaken by Lyon on Goal Difference (if it is goal difference that counts when the team are level).

Both games between Ajax and Lyon were 0-0 so it was goal difference that counts.

At the start of the day Ajax were +3 and Lyon -4. Enquiry ?

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
What about Lyon? Went through on GD of 1 by scoring 7 .... Ajax must be well miffed ... fishy or what?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Lyon winning 7-1 in croatia is dodgy as f***. Considering the things that had to happen for them to advance, one of which a make up of 7 points...I don't think anyone would be in the wrong to be suspicious.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You're right. It will be very interesting to see the teams they field for those games.

As I understand it, even the europa cup is seen as important in europe, it's just an british thing, so perhaps city will take it more seriously than united, given mancini is in charge.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Don't they go into Europa league ? If so that's such a cop out.

They do. I have always HATED this rule. A club is not good enough to grace the CL, so they get another crack at a European competition. Its a greed thing.

There will be a lot of prem sides playing on a Thursday night on Channel Five.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
As I understand it, even the europa cup is seen as important in europe, it's just an british thing, so perhaps city will take it more seriously than united, given mancini is in charge.

Maybe. Or maybe if City dump United out the FA cup it may be the only silverware United have got left to play for?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Brilliant night. And the referee was.....Kuipers! Well done FDM, mission accomplished. Serves 'em right for losing to Palace. Just desserts... :)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
AJAX get overtaken by Lyon on Goal Difference (if it is goal difference that counts when the team are level).

Both games between Ajax and Lyon were 0-0 so it was goal difference that counts.

At the start of the day Ajax were +3 and Lyon -4. Enquiry ?

And it was even more amazing because after 40 minutes Lyon were 0-1 down and Ajax were 0-1 down (with two disallowed goals to Ajax) so at that time Lyon needed nine goals in 50 minutes.

Lyon thrash Dinamo 7-1 to reach knockout stage - Yahoo! Eurosport

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here