Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Based on that performance who is good enough for the Premiership?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I tell you what I learnt from Yesterday and the resultant comments on this forum today, that loads of our supporters haven't got a f*cking clue about football or the ability to see a bigger picture than what happened in the last 90 minutes they have witnessed.

People are so incredibly dumb it makes this site painful to read at times.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Our defence made The premier League biggest flop of all time look like a superstar. Liverpool are not a great side, infact this is probably the worst Liverpool team of the last 15 years. Second half was the worst defending i Have ever seen at any level of football. A pub team would have thrashed us yesterday.

That is nonsense. I know you're usually a negative poster but surely you're fishing with that.

A good point in case. It's like we never lost FIVE NIL at Palace, or at home to Stoke, or were utter TURD for years in Div 2, or that Liverpool are challenging for the Top FOUR of the league and that one of their players are worth twice our entire squad, or that Premier teams reguarly get thrashed away on a regular basis yet still finish in the top half. What an utter MONG. :dunce:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Repeating what I said yesterday, playing Liverpool at Anfield is NOT a benchmark of Premiership survival. We have turned over Newcastle and Sunderland on our own patch this season, both of whom are having decent seasons, we are just two points outside the play-offs and have won five out of six league games this year.

I think half our first team could make the step up to Premiership survival, even if only as squad players. Blackpool nearly did it last season (and could well go up this season, despite losing players like Charlie Adam) and Swansea and Norwich will probably stay up comfortably enough too.

This.

we will never aspire to be on a par with the likes of the top 10 premiership clubs, therefore you have to look at the the likes of Stoke West Brom and Wigan and aim to be in that company. Yes ok, we can beat Premiership sides who have off days, but playing them week in week out is a totally different matter

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Everyone else just dillydallys on the ball and gets tackled - not good enough.!

What I have been saying all season!

Yeah its just not good enough, we are really struggling in our division, were not massively still in the promotion hunt with 2/3rds of the season gone, in our first season back in this division and during a period of transition. We couldln't pass fast enough to beat one of the best 6 teams in this country with a team full of players who have largely spent their career in Div 1 football. Sack the Board!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Mattock is way better than Painter or El Abd (at left-back).

Jara Reyes is way better than Calderon (at defending).

Vokes is way better than any of our strikers (bar, maybe, CMS).

And yet none of them good enough for poor-average Premier League sides.

There a gulf between Prem and Championship. Just sayin'.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What a depressing thread. The one thing that is certain is we need a decent keeper. After that, who's to say a 2-11 of:

Reyes, Mattock, Dunk, Greer, JFC, Razak, Vicente, Lua Lua, Buckley and CMS can't reach Prem quality by May 2013?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
This time last year we were getting done by Stoke away. so that's the fifth round of the cup in successive season - we don't do that ususally

The team v Stoke was: ( 4 players who started - in bold - have since left the club or unavalbale for the rest of this season)
Starting Line-ups
1 Brezovan
3 Greer
4 Elphick
22 Painter
14 Calderón
18 Dicker
5 Battipiedi
26 Bridcutt
7 Bennett
17 Murray
9 Barnes
Substitutes
11 Baz
21 Sandaza
16 Ankergren
20 Holroyd
37 Dunk
28 Caskey
27 Taricco

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Ah but to stay in the Prem you have to stop other teams scoring. It what arseanl used to be brilliant at, and now can't do for toffee!

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Yeah its just not good enough, we are really struggling in our division, were not massively still in the promotion hunt with 2/3rds of the season gone, in our first season back in this division and during a period of transition. We couldln't pass fast enough to beat one of the best 6 teams in this country with a team full of players who have largely spent their career in Div 1 football. Sack the Board!

The question was who is good enough for the Premier League based on the performance in the Liverpool game. We play the same way every game, but because we play aginst weaker opposition we dont get found out. So no need to sack the board just yet. I like how we play and it works well at our currently level. We will of course play better on other days, but I am basing it on yesterdyas performance, where we got caught all the time

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Anyway, how many newly-promoted Prem sides end up starting with the XI that got them there from the Championship? The norm seems to be 3-5 new 1st XI players brought in over the summer.

I certainly think we have 6-8 players at the club that could compete in the Prem, maybe more.

BHA Swiifty

Jan 23, 2012
Burgess Hill
QPR has, out of the 3 that went up, are the team that has had the most investment in players and yet there below swansea and Norwich who have had very little imput of players.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
LuaLua
Buckley
Bridcutt
Vicente
Greer/El-Abd/CMS/WBA Boys/Calde (Maybe)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Based on that performance?

Lualua

Based on all performances this year, when things click and everyone plays as well as they can? I'm not convinced our players have the consistency to work as a squad in its current form. But as part of existing premier league teams...

Potential to become regulars/fan favourites
Dunk
Noone (needs to improve final product, not try to take on too many men)
Lualua
Bridcutt (needs to attack the all more and not let it bounce)
Buckley
Jara Reyes

Potential to be solid squad player
Mattock
Greer
Mackail-Smith
Vicente

Fringe Squad players
El-Abd
Barnes
Sparrow
Vincelot

Harley has shown flashes, particularly v peterborough, and in the opening few minutes v Burnley he and Lualua were linking fantastically, but not enough in any given match.

Obviously, the youth (including Agdestein and JFC) all have potential, so I'm not ruling them out, just feel it's too early in their careers to say.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I returned from Anfield very early this morning and have been going through the argus comments and obviously on here.
Firstly the comments on the argus, at least the first ten or so I read were embarrassing.
I was in the Kop and to be honest it made me very proud to see the blue and white, although I always thought it was going to be very difficult to get a result. I also thought the Brighton fans were quiet apart from the first 15 minutes, but you will probably say the same about the LFC fans.
To be honest I was very disappointed in Brighton today, the early goal hurts but Lua's goal was incredible. Pathetic wall but the ball took its first bounce behind Pepe's goal line from a long way out!
However the team just didn't play their normal passing game and LFC gave them space but they couldn't string any passes together.
Most of my mates around me like Brighton as a side and most of them were at the Amex earlier in the season, it was a shame about the Suarez bashing but it was to be expected I suppose.
To all those who honestly thought that Brighton would walk into the Prem they need to get a grip. It really is a different league. OK, on a one off anything can happen but Brighton would normally lose 9 out of 10 in the PL against LFC with this team, and that goes for 75% of the other PL teams. Brighton are in the Championship, doing weel, with a great manager, better owner, fantastic stadium and a great set of fans. We have 3 or 4 players who might be able to hold a place in a promoted PL side, might.
If we go up in the next 2 seasons and come straight back down so what? Use the money, improve the squad and get promoted again. eventually you will have a team good enough to stay in the top flight, it won't happen overnight.
It took LFC and manure 60 odd years in the league before they won anything, it will just taste better when it happens. I just hope that you had a good day out, in spite of the result because you supported our club well.
Only one bad note. Three brave Brighton (Fans?) who had a go at two LF fans in Sefton last night and then got really battered I suggest you need to grow up. A bit of banter is no problem but did you really expect to get away with that in Liverpool?

I don't agree about Albions fans yesterday, we were singing the whole game, the home fans were terrible, I was gobsmacked, didn't hear a peep until you went 3-1 up.

As for the comments on the PL I concur, but the history and size of the club, as in Liverpool, United, Chelsea is not as important as getting a balanced squad and the ability to pay hefty wages, the bigger teams, get the biggest revebues, pay the most wages and get the best players, its that simple.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here