Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Based on that performance who is good enough for the Premiership?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The papers critics and Kenny D said how good Carroll was almost unplayable.

I thought El-Abd was doing pretty well till he went off. He needs to be at centre-back with Greer at Hull, Dunk's been very poor the last two games

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Manchester united lost 6-1 to City earlier in the season, does that mean that they have a team that isnt good enough for the premier league?

don't forget we've beaten both newcastle and sunderland this season.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

King Kenny will naturally say that as he has to justify the complete waste of money somehow. As for the papers?.... I increasingly wonder whether any of these reporters actually go to watch the games they report on. Very nice first time finish for one of their goals, yes, but beyond that he spent most of the time throwing his toys out of his pram because some of our players actually dared to challenge him. Add to that, we wasn't even very good defensively yesterday either.

" Sold in the Summer...you're getting sold in the Summer........" :lol:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Not for me, not at all. He looks like a time-bomb ready to explode at the moment. Far too fussed about having a wrestle, and then bawling out the refereee when the ball goes out for a goal kick.

He's making the job of target man look much harder than it needs to be for a man of his size. He can stand pretty still, and just be a target man to hold it up, flick it on, and lay it in to Suarez. Instead he was more fussed with wrestling and moaning. Yes, he scored, but with players like Suarez and Dowing around him, goals for Liverpool CAN be that easy if he just gets his head out of his backside, and his backside out of the boozer.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Brezovan :moo:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Repeating what I said yesterday, playing Liverpool at Anfield is NOT a benchmark of Premiership survival. We have turned over Newcastle and Sunderland on our own patch this season, both of whom are having decent seasons, we are just two points outside the play-offs and have won five out of six league games this year.

I think half our first team could make the step up to Premiership survival, even if only as squad players. Blackpool nearly did it last season (and could well go up this season, despite losing players like Charlie Adam) and Swansea and Norwich will probably stay up comfortably enough too.

Totally agree. This was a one-off - very different to week in, week out Premier League action, not least because some players will improve as they get acclimatised to that level. I think that's what we've seen with some of our players now in the Championship - a dip after the initial euphoria, but they've since managed to find a bit extra to their game to cut it.

For me, only one player showed that he absolutely has no place at all in a Prem Lge squad. Doesn't make him crap - just not quite good enough for where we want to be.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I thought Carroll was almost unplayable, but before the Liverpool fans go OTT, Becchio was as well (unplayable by the Brighton defence). Alas, the rest of the Leeds team (apart from Snodgrass) were a bit naff.

My thinking is we get in four class players, most of our players could fight for a chance to be in a Premiership squad (not the Champions League away leg). The covering central defender is what we would most need. This does not mean Greer would be redundant. He would make a fine full back.

If you saw Sunderland against Arsenal, by Sunderland playing just like they did down here were very effective at beating a better team (in exactly the same way as Bruce would have played it). Newcastle and Sunderland are the benchmark.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Lua Lua - yes
Bridcutt - Maybe
Dunk - Maybe
Noone - Maybe

The rest - No

So lots of changes for us to get anyone near I think.

So on this basis you are saying that a large contingent of the Man U team that lost 6-1 at home to City are not good enough for the premiership, a number of the Spurs team that lost 5-1 to city ditto, and the majority of the Arsenal team that lost 8-2 to Man U........Oh Hang On!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im going to be contrversial... LuaLua is not good enough right now. he is great with the ball and will trouble any fullback with pace, skills and attitude to go at them. however i notice he doesnt make runs off the ball, he doesnt create space for himself. he's too easily marked or removed from the game by blocking off supply.

that said, he should be able to have that coached and improve vastly.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I thought Carroll was almost unplayable, but before the Liverpool fans go OTT, Becchio was as well (unplayable by the Brighton defence). Alas, the rest of the Leeds team (apart from Snodgrass) were a bit naff.

My thinking is we get in four class players, most of our players could fight for a chance to be in a Premiership squad (not the Champions League away leg). The covering central defender is what we would most need. This does not mean Greer would be redundant. He would make a fine full back.

If you saw Sunderland against Arsenal, by Sunderland playing just like they did down here were very effective at beating a better team (in exactly the same way as Bruce would have played it). Newcastle and Sunderland are the benchmark.

Our defence made The premier League biggest flop of all time look like a superstar. Liverpool are not a great side, infact this is probably the worst Liverpool team of the last 15 years. Second half was the worst defending i Have ever seen at any level of football. A pub team would have thrashed us yesterday

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
On yesterday's showing we don't have any player good enough for the Premier league.

On yesterday's showing we don't have any player good enough for the Champions League away legs against contenders playing their best football of the season. Otherwise, we would have to sell them. Scouts might be having a look at Kazenga?!

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
im going to be contrversial... LuaLua is not good enough right now. he is great with the ball and will trouble any fullback with pace, skills and attitude to go at them. however i notice he doesnt make runs off the ball, he doesnt create space for himself. he's too easily marked or removed from the game by blocking off supply.

that said, he should be able to have that coached and improve vastly.

Kazenga has got a great change of direction at speed. But he does not trap the ball as well as the rest of the side bar Brezovan. He does run into positions but often mucks it up by the lack of the first touch.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Our defence made The premier League biggest flop of all time look like a superstar. Liverpool are not a great side, infact this is probably the worst Liverpool team of the last 15 years. Second half was the worst defending i Have ever seen at any level of football. A pub team would have thrashed us yesterday

That is nonsense. I know you're usually a negative poster but surely you're fishing with that.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Vicente
Buckley (maybe)
The WBA loan guys
El-Abd (maybe)
Dunk
Lua Lua (maybe)
Possibly CMS if he starts scoring again

All the players we have that could possibly be PL standard, a lot of work is needed really. And yes we did beat Newcastle, but we only beat Sunderland in extra time, so thats not much use in the PL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here