Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Based on that performance who is good enough for the Premiership?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Lua Lua - yes
Bridcutt - Maybe
Dunk - Maybe
Noone - Maybe

The rest - No

So lots of changes for us to get anyone near I think.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Lua Lua - yes
Bridcutt - Maybe
Dunk - Maybe
Noone - Maybe

The rest - No

I'd actually add El Abd to that list of maybes.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think it's a diificult question. If you took each player and put them into a premiership team then a few more of them would be up to scratch. Unfortunately you can't really justify decisions based on getting beaten away to Liverpool with a weak team. IMO Buckley, Lua Lua, Vokes, Bridcutt, Dunk and Noone could all do well, they would just need a stronger unit around them than what they currently have!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Repeating what I said yesterday, playing Liverpool at Anfield is NOT a benchmark of Premiership survival. We have turned over Newcastle and Sunderland on our own patch this season, both of whom are having decent seasons, we are just two points outside the play-offs and have won five out of six league games this year.

I think half our first team could make the step up to Premiership survival, even if only as squad players. Blackpool nearly did it last season (and could well go up this season, despite losing players like Charlie Adam) and Swansea and Norwich will probably stay up comfortably enough too.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Noone looked absolutely light weight and poor decision from Gus to swap him with el Abd- big factor in our crumbling

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On yesterday performance they all showed that none of them are ready individually for the Premier League but I think that El Abd as a central defender possibly, Bridcutt, Lua Lua plus add Reyes and Mattcok if we buy them. Greer maybe pok with better players around him and Dunk showed that the only clubs that will come in for him are ones that can afford to keep him in the reserves for a couple of seasons and bring on his potential. Also obviously Vicente who was our best player when he came on.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Another vote for El Abd. He kept Carroll quiet - yes his tactics were typical of a league 2 defender, verging on assulting Carroll at times, but it unsettled him and it worked. We missed him badly after he went off.

LuaLua, Bridcutt and Vicente also looked good enough, based on yesterday's performance alone.

Last edited:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Much as I love him Noone will never be good enough for the prem. LuaLua, Bridcutt, Vicente & possibly El Abd & Greer coud be.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Pointless thread, can't base 'who's good enough' based purely on yesterday's game.

No doubt everyone was good enough off the back of the Newcastle and Sunderland victories.

The players ability to step up to the next level should be based on their performances over the season in what is a very competitive Championship.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And take noone off , he was shit he only played because he`s a scouser same with navs

I'm sure you posted that purely for effect, but one thing Poyet is not, that is sentimental. Two years ago Whing would have cut his right arm off for the chance to play at Villa Park.

I agree with Simster that we have some quality players who would fit into another Premiership squad quite easily as has been shown by Crofts & Bennett doing well with Norwich.
I think El-Abd, Noone, Bridcutt, Buckley, Dunk & LuaLua fit into that category.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Lua Lua - yes
Bridcutt - Maybe
Dunk - Maybe
Noone - Maybe

The rest - No

I'd say Dunk was by far our worst player yesterday and Noone did nothing so I struggle to see how based on that game you'd put them as maybe Premiership quality

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Lualua - Yes.
Carroll - No.

I wonder if Newcastle fans tuned in to laugh at shipping out Carroll, and ended up pulling their hair out at letting Kaz go.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I returned from Anfield very early this morning and have been going through the argus comments and obviously on here.
Firstly the comments on the argus, at least the first ten or so I read were embarrassing.
I was in the Kop and to be honest it made me very proud to see the blue and white, although I always thought it was going to be very difficult to get a result. I also thought the Brighton fans were quiet apart from the first 15 minutes, but you will probably say the same about the LFC fans.
To be honest I was very disappointed in Brighton today, the early goal hurts but Lua's goal was incredible. Pathetic wall but the ball took its first bounce behind Pepe's goal line from a long way out!
However the team just didn't play their normal passing game and LFC gave them space but they couldn't string any passes together.
Most of my mates around me like Brighton as a side and most of them were at the Amex earlier in the season, it was a shame about the Suarez bashing but it was to be expected I suppose.
To all those who honestly thought that Brighton would walk into the Prem they need to get a grip. It really is a different league. OK, on a one off anything can happen but Brighton would normally lose 9 out of 10 in the PL against LFC with this team, and that goes for 75% of the other PL teams. Brighton are in the Championship, doing weel, with a great manager, better owner, fantastic stadium and a great set of fans. We have 3 or 4 players who might be able to hold a place in a promoted PL side, might.
If we go up in the next 2 seasons and come straight back down so what? Use the money, improve the squad and get promoted again. eventually you will have a team good enough to stay in the top flight, it won't happen overnight.
It took LFC and manure 60 odd years in the league before they won anything, it will just taste better when it happens. I just hope that you had a good day out, in spite of the result because you supported our club well.
Only one bad note. Three brave Brighton (Fans?) who had a go at two LF fans in Sefton last night and then got really battered I suggest you need to grow up. A bit of banter is no problem but did you really expect to get away with that in Liverpool?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here