Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baseball Season 2011

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Wasn't it David Ortiz's shirt? I'm surprised the stadium didn't buckle slightly. He's a big boy.

Anyway there are many reasons for disliking the Yankees, the Man United/Bayern Munich/Real Madrid of baseball. But Derek Jeter and Mark Teixera's highly-punchable faces should be enough for anyone. :myfatherinlawwasbatboyatfenwayparkintedwilliamsheyday:

Quite agree - any self-respecting New Yorker supports the Mets

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Saturday night Cardinals go into extra innings with their rival Cubs.
Step up Albert Pujols - Walk Off Home Run!

Sunday night Cardinals go into extra innings with their rival Cubs.
Step up Albert Pujols - Walk Off Home Run!

You gotta love those Redbirds

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Nice to see the overpaid, overated Yankees falling apart at home in their series against the Red Sox. Beaten 6-4 last night and gubbed 11-6 tonight.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nice to see the overpaid, overated Yankees falling apart at home in their series against the Red Sox. Beaten 6-4 last night and gubbed 11-6 tonight.

I was there on Tuesday and it was one-sided after the first inning. Sadly, I was flying back to the UK last night as I'd loved to have seen the even bigger pasting. I think the Sox have won six on the bounce against the Evil Empire now - that's got to hurt.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Texas powering ahead in the AL West again now they have got Hamilton, Cruz fit. Beltre a great addition at 3rd. Ogando, rookie pitcher now 7-0 with the best record in baseball. The Twins surely the biggest season-season slump in history!

Boston-Phillies looks the most likely World Series this year, but a long way to go yet.

Outside chance I may get to Toronto later in the summer through work, my best chance to see some ball this year.

PG

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Oh dear - just isn't going to be the Yankees year against the Red Sox. Got done 3-2 at Fenway Park in a game which went past midnight into a 10th innings. Lost 2-1 in the series. Red Sox have now won 10 out of 12 from the Yankees this season, capturing all four series. Always nice to see the Bombers lose against their main rivals

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Much as I dislike the Yankees they did become the first team in major league history to hit three grand slams in tonight's game against the Oakland Athletics.

Although I don’t think it’s as impressive as Fernando Tatis hitting 2 grand slams in one innings in the Cardinals / Dodgers game in ’99

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Hope you are all getting reasonably excited by the Rays vs Red Sox battle for the Wild Card..

Who do you reckon will prevail?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Hope you are all getting reasonably excited by the Rays vs Red Sox battle for the Wild Card..

Who do you reckon will prevail?

Absolutely not the Red Sox at their current rate. Unless Adrian Gonzalez finds form again, he's been dreadful recently, since he shaved off his beard. They're choking like Newcastle under Kevin Keegan.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
So Evan Longoria hit a homer in the 12th sending the Rays to the playoffs whilst the Red Sox blew a lead in the ninth

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
What a bloody mess, from a Red Sox point of view anyway.

Unbelievable: they needed one more STRIKE to win the game. Two minutes later they'd lost it and that was season over for a team described as the "best team ever" in the spring. They had a plane at the airport prepared to fly to any of the FOUR possible destinations where they'd be playing next. It flew them back to Boston, a city generally in mourning.

The Economist has its take on the entire debacle here: A wild finish to the baseball season: Never say never | The Economist

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Repeat of last season's playoffs, Rays v Rangers. Rangers ought to be favourites given their impressive lineup but Rays have proved they never give up.

Rangers in 5.

Starts tonight just after 10pm our time.

PG

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
What a bloody mess, from a Red Sox point of view anyway.

Unbelievable: they needed one more STRIKE to win the game. Two minutes later they'd lost it and that was season over for a team described as the "best team ever" in the spring. They had a plane at the airport prepared to fly to any of the FOUR possible destinations where they'd be playing next. It flew them back to Boston, a city generally in mourning.

The Economist has its take on the entire debacle here: A wild finish to the baseball season: Never say never | The Economist

Interesting piece, don't like the way he works out the odds though. Fact that Braves' closer suddenly can't find the strike zone suggests that these are far from being unrelated contingencies.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
So, The Rangers saw off the Rays, but all three of the other series are tied at 2-2

Runaway league leaders the Phils and the Brew crew will both be gutted to face a fifth game tomorrow, whilst everyone's favourite Yanks will hold their breath against the Tigers.

Predictions? Phils, Dbacks, Yankees, Rangers, with the Phils over the Yankees in the series.
Hoping it aint so though.

And I'm fcuking pissed off we don't get to watch any of it on terrestrial UK telly anymore.

Go Cards!

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
And I'm fcuking pissed off we don't get to watch any of it on terrestrial UK telly anymore.

True, but that twat Johnny Gould was hard f***ing work to watch - with his constant references to Chelsea FC, and comparing the Yankees to Man United. It was a baseball programme fer f***'s sake.

I'm a big Marlins fan BTW, watched them a few times at the Pro Player, and I'm going to visit the Miami Ballpark when it opens at some point.

Yeah, Go Cards!!! +1

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
American League East. Supposedly the best division in baseball?
There's always next year I suppose, as the Yankees, join the Rays and Red Sox watching the October Classic on TV.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Always nice to see the Yankees get beaten. Just goes to show $200 million cant buy success. A-Rod who? After his 3 strike outs this over paid, over rated player won't be too popular with the fans

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here