Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bas savage will leave & I for one am glad

1066gull

I love Bas. Ive only seen the team once this season so I am judging him on last season, but I would be truly worried if he left tbh.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
It's one of those difficult ones...if he goes and we dont eplace him its worrying as in this division we need him......

But as other have pointed out...he is very replacable and if and its a BIG IF..he can be replaced then its a touch,......I reckon he wll go and gatting will come back and he will be expected to fill his boots...which wont happen!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
You would be glad that a player, who has scored almost 1 in 3 starts and a similar rate of assists, would leave? The player that has looked more likely to form a decent partnership with Forster and is enjoyable to watch? We are not bursting at the seams with strikers that can perform at this level and I wil be gutted if he does leave.

Also, I don't buy this 'my mate spoke to him' business. I very much doubt a professional footballer would speak to any old sailor about contract talks!
Agreed on all counts. If Savage does leave we'll certainly need to sign a replacement, Revell, Elder, and Gatting are hardly amazing options...

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I rate Revell...always have...I completely forgot about him...he is a better player than Bas imho defo

GAFFERKNOWSBEST

Nov 19, 2007
i agree but i think we should give gatting time

i also feel if bas goes and we do not bring in another stricker the play offs are a distent memory but what happens he either of the front two atm get injured we need to bring in some strickers in jan

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Th

The market at our level is pretty full, personally I would favour an ex prem 30 odd year old who can give us a season or two than pay Bas above his value.

You're having a laugh aren't you? When did Brighton last sign a player when we needed one? Forster took over a year to make up his mind, and we were constantly supposed to be signing this striker or that midfielder for the last 3 seasons, and we signed none of them.

If Bas gets away, then we can look forward to absolutly no-one coming to us in the foreseeable future, that's the way it's been for so long, and at the moment there is nothing to suggest that will change.

All the effort wasted looking for a replacement, all the cost, the potential points lost, the chance to get into thte playoffs, will all be saved if DK and Bas can sort out a deal. Basic economics, pay what we need to keep him, or pay just as much fruitlessly searching for the imaginary striker while the team struggles.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Why anyone would be glad about the strike partnership that's fired us to the verge of the play offs breaking up is beyond me...

Good old DK. Looks like he has put his "wage-ceiling" principles before the best interests of the club. He refuses to offer a good deal to Bas who has done much for us since his arrival and yet he has signed up to contracts that have meant that we have had to keep Mayo and Hart on the books way beyond their "sell by" dates. Bizarre.

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that if we let Bas go without attempting to reach a compromise of wages, we'll regret it.

:rant:

Last edited:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I rate Revell...always have...I completely forgot about him...he is a better player than Bas imho defo

I beg to differ. He runs about a lot and his workrate is good but his effectiveness as a striker and partner for Forster is very limited.

Each to his own I guess.

:rolleyes:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
You're having a laugh aren't you? When did Brighton last sign a player when we needed one? Forster took over a year to make up his mind, and we were constantly supposed to be signing this striker or that midfielder for the last 3 seasons, and we signed none of them.

If Bas gets away, then we can look forward to absolutly no-one coming to us in the foreseeable future, that's the way it's been for so long, and at the moment there is nothing to suggest that will change.

All the effort wasted looking for a replacement, all the cost, the potential points lost, the chance to get into thte playoffs, will all be saved if DK and Bas can sort out a deal. Basic economics, pay what we need to keep him, or pay just as much fruitlessly searching for the imaginary striker while the team struggles.
Well we signed Savage didn't we? And Whing, O'Callaghan, Richards, Flinders.... Forster signed when it became apparent he wouldn't get a game at Hull. This isn't the McGhee era anymore, we are now capable of identifying and signing players.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
haha harsh but fair

i am sure there a players who would want to come to brighton if we tried hard enough to get them

Agreed. But it needs someone with a dustfree chequebook and we don't have anyone that falls into that category.

:nono:

GAFFERKNOWSBEST

Nov 19, 2007
yer thats the problem we hate change we think we can get players for nothing we need to do are up most to strenghen to get play offs

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Well we signed Savage didn't we? And Whing, O'Callaghan, Richards, Flinders.... Forster signed when it became apparent he wouldn't get a game at Hull. This isn't the McGhee era anymore, we are now capable of identifying and signing players.

I do hope you're right. I like Whing, but the others are all/were loan though, have to say, they were pretty good although I really don't think Richards heart was in it.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

Agreed.My point was that Bas might well price himself out of Brighton, your point about us fart arsing around when it comes to bringing people in is completely right, but for some reason DK seems to live in a world where there are always options. If Bas rates himself above a certain salart level Dick will DEFFO let him go.

Like I say, Bas is good enough at this level, but history tells us that the purse strings do the talking at Brighton.

Like I say, If Bas wants too much we will bin him and go after the elusive goal getter that is always around the corner.

The point I made about someone at the back end of their career with a season or two left in them (a'la Forster) is well made, If we have to pay more for Bas I would rather we payed it to someone with more pedigree frankly.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I want to see Ishmel Demontagnac here. Remember him? The Walsall supersub who scored Withdean goal of the season against us recently? Truly head-mental, they only ever unleash him for 20 minutes at the end of games so as not to have him red-carded. Total quality & a bigger cult than Comedy Bas ANY day of the week :lol:

GAFFERKNOWSBEST

Nov 19, 2007
yer i herd about that i thought it was a piss take but its true haha

what a class act tho herd some of the top clubs want him

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I'm a big fan of Big bas, he has a certain cult quality. but no player can hold the club to ransom and, if our offer is not good enough for him then so be it.

I rather feel that bas will be the bigger loser. he's found a niche here, he's playing better & scoring more than he ever has & the fans love him. There's been many a better player who has been 'too good for us' and has disapeared into obscurity.

Don't do it, Bas. Sign the deal.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He's a good bloke to have in your squad but he wouldn't be a huge loss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here