Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barwick - 39th overseas game a "fantastic idea"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And in the LEAST surprising news of the day, bumbling slaphead buffoon Brian Barwick has (according to the news on 5-Live) told Richard Scudamore that he thinks taking the Premiership abroad for a round of games is a "fantastic idea".

Personally, I think he proved he was not fit for office when he f***ed up the England appointment two years ago - its primarily thanks to Barwick that we've now got our faces pressed to the glass looking in, whilst the rest of Europes proper footballing nations look forward to the Finals. Lets not even bother asking what this much-vaunted "root and branch" investigation into the national teams abject failure has actually achieved. Precisely FA, as per usual.

Scudamore and the Premier League are only ever going to look after their own interests and to hell with anything else. If its a moneyspinner then its a goer as far as they're concerned - thats obvious and as good as goes without saying. But the Football Assocation, as the governing footballing body in this country, is supposed to have a duty to look after the best interests of the game as a whole, the national team, and those of its fans. We're constantly told of "tired, burnt out" players being a factor in the national teams failure. Well now we're going to jet them half way round the planet in the middle of an already congested fixture list, to squeeze in an extra game. And Barwick thinks this is "fantastic".

It would have been interesting to see how it would have played out had the FA not backed these plans - I was reading somewhere that under FIFA regulations, the FAPL would actually require the national associations backing in order to go ahead with this. Predictably though, Barwick has jumped into bed with Scudamore and promptly creamed himself over these absurd plans, so we'll never know. I suppose it was asking too much for the FA to stand up for whats right.

Depressing.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Truly depressing.
How is this for a scenario for the Premiershite in 2020 (or sooner)

1 in 3 games overseas

No relegation, to create a more level financial playing field and to ensure that overseas fans do not lose the opportunity to follow their teams

Revenue comes from web/tv rights and merchandise

No ticket sales. Fans are part of the show and are invited to games. If you wish to be eligible for an invitation you pay an annual fee, complete a detailed application and buy a kit, no guarantee you will get an invitation. Clubs/league then select the fans for the right demographic mix and to match the pre-determined club characteristic. Spurs fans are sophisticated, Newcastle passionate and suicidal, Bolton are fat and salt of the earth etc. Fans are watched and those performing well and with the filmable attributes are invited back. This leads to frenzied cavorting as fans try to attract attention.

Could this happen?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Spineless and craven. The FA are one of the few lobbying parties in this who could put some serious hurdles in the way of this.

Obviously the fact that there are representatives of Premier League clubs holding high office at the FA is a total joke, and a clear conflict of interest.

The question I would like to ask Scudamore given the opportunity, and I haven't heard it asked like this yet, is:

"Does there exist a point in the pursuit of money for the Premier League 'product' that you would consider 'going too far', and was actually undermining the very thing you're trying to sell?"

And the follow-up questions would centre on where he thinks this point is - since everyone else considers this move way past it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Another idea I heard mooted is the Premiership being reduced to 15 teams, and everyone playing each other three times in a 42 match season - so everyone plays each other once at home, once away, and once abroad.

A week ago I'd have thought that laughable, but after whats been said this week, suddenly it doesn't seem so funny.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Can't stand Barwick :tosser:

106502.jpg

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Another idea I heard mooted is the Premiership being reduced to 15 teams, and everyone playing each other three times in a 42 match season - so everyone plays each other once at home, once away, and once abroad.

A week ago I'd have thought that laughable, but after whats been said this week, suddenly it doesn't seem so funny.

Seems quite plausible now. Where does this leave the rumours of a European Super League? It looks like the Premiership think that they are already a World Super League.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It won't happen. Michel Platini (president of UEFA) and the FAs of the coutries that will host these matches have come out and said it's a shit idea. The only people who think it's a good idea are those who stand to make some extra cash.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2255352,00.html

FA name price of backing '39th step'
Brian Oliver
Sunday February 10, 2008
The Observer

Premier League clubs will be told to field full-strength teams in the FA Cup, release players without complaint for all England games, lend their support to the 2018 World Cup bid and build a better working relationship with the FA - or their plans to take matches around the world will be stopped in their tracks.

That was the message yesterday from the FA, who will discuss the Premier League's '39th step' plan at a board meeting on Thursday. Without FA sanction, the Premier League's scheme, announced by chief executive Richard Scudamore on Thursday, is dead in the water.

The Premier League want to create an extra round of 10 matches in the middle of the season, from January 2011, and stage them in cities in Asia, the United States and elsewhere. This huge marketing exercise, which would bring in tens of millions of pounds, has enraged many fans and has drawn stinging criticism from Fifa and Uefa. But those world and European governing bodies have no direct say in the process, which will go ahead if it is approved by the FA and by the national FAs of the cities staging matches.

The bargaining power now lies with the FA, where an insider said: 'There are many areas where the Premier League can help out - fixture lists, releasing players, the FA Cup, the World Cup bid - and we are in a position to make demands on them.'

The new FA chairman, David Triesman, intends to force the Premier League into a new working relationship with his organisation. He is expected to meet Scudamore in the next two weeks. Scudamore himself admitted: 'I respect that the FA has sanction for these proposals, and they have been handed a huge bargaining chip. We will be meeting Brian Barwick and Fabio Capello [FA chief executive and England coach] in the next couple of weeks and there is a trade-off position that's heavily weighted in the FA's favour.'

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Of course it's a fantasic idea..... for him. It means that he would get more money in those fat pockets of his.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I haven't seen the quote he says it's been a fantastic idea, all I have seen is he is supportive of the idea in principle, and if the idea works and some of the money raised from it goes back into the grass roots of English football then I can see why he is supportive of it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I haven't seen the quote he says it's been a fantastic idea, all I have seen is he is supportive of the idea in principle, and if the idea works and some of the money raised from it goes back into the grass roots of English football then I can see why he is supportive of it.

Come on. Get real. If you honestly believe that this will result in money filtering down to "grass roots" beyond a few token crumbs from the table, then more fool you. This will serve purely to further line the pockets of club owners, agents, and players. At the expense of (what was left of) the integrity of the top flight insofar as it was still supposedly set up to determine the best team in the land after 38 games, home and away.

And your top boy has SOLD OUT, along with Scudamore. What a f***ing surprise eh ?

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Come on. Get real. If you honestly believe that this will result in money filtering down to "grass roots" beyond a few token crumbs from the table, then more fool you. This will serve purely to further line the pockets of club owners, agents, and players. At the expense of (what was left of) the integrity of the top flight insofar as it was still supposedly set up to determine the best team in the land after 38 games, home and away.

And your top boy has SOLD OUT, along with Scudamore. What a f***ing surprise eh ?

Have the F.A sold out?? They've said they're supportive in principle, and are in a position to negotiate with the Premier League to get demands off of them, but hey if that's selling out.

Any opportunity to knock Barwick and the F.A.

:bla:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Have the F.A sold out?? They've said they're supportive in principle, and are in a position to negotiate with the Premier League to get demands off of them, but hey if that's selling out.

Any opportunity to knock Barwick and the F.A.

:bla:
Of course it's selling out.

You're thinking that the FA actually negotiating - rather than rejecting out of hand - on such a hair-brained scheme is OK? You think there's merit in this idea? If the fundamentally spinless FA want anything back off the Premier League (and it should really be the other way round, but the FA is merely a kiss-asser of the Premier League), they are going to have to do an awful lot better than 'negotiating' on such a stupid scheme.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Of course it's selling out.

You're thinking that the FA actually negotiating - rather than rejecting out of hand - on such a hair-brained scheme is OK? You think there's merit in this idea? If the fundamentally spinless FA want anything back off the Premier League (and it should really be the other way round, but the FA is merely a kiss-asser of the Premier League), they are going to have to do an awful lot better than 'negotiating' on such a stupid scheme.

Unfortunately the Premier League do hold too much power, on that I agree with you but that's not the fault of Barwick or the F.A. The way forward in this is for the F.A to negotiate with the Premier League, they have excellent bargaining power to redress the balance and they won't be able to do that without entering into meaningful dialogue.

I also think you need to edit the title of the thread as to date I have not seen anywhere that Barwick has referred to this as a 'fantastic idea' and that could be percieved by some as slander.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Of course it's a sell-out. Instead of taking a principled stand against this, and coming out and saying so, the FA's immediate reaction was to try and obtain all sorts of concessions on other unrelated matters to settle old scores. It's utter bollocks, and totally indefensible.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Unfortunately the Premier League do hold too much power, on that I agree with you but that's not the fault of Barwick or the F.A. The way forward in this is for the F.A to negotiate with the Premier League, they have excellent bargaining power to redress the balance and they won't be able to do that without entering into meaningful dialogue.

I also think you need to edit the title of the thread as to date I have not seen anywhere that Barwick has referred to this as a 'fantastic idea' and that could be percieved by some as slander.
Well then sue the BBC, because its Radio 5-Live that reported it in PRECISELY those words (that you are clearly uncomfortable with) this morning.

If you ever get your head out of the back of Barwicks arse and take a deep breath of the air in which most football supporters breathe, you might actually be in a position to recognise the sheer scale of the DAMAGE your hero is about to blithely allow to happen. He will talk about "negotiations" when he SHOULD be holding all the cards in this - but you can be absolutely sure that Barwick will happily bend over and obligingly take it up the ringer from Scudamore and 20 other Premiership chairman, despite the MASSIVE opposition from all the parties who can see straight through this money making farce and call it for exactly what it is.

If you are blindly supporting Barwick for these plans, then you are just as blinkered as the rest of them.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Well then sue the BBC, because its Radio 5-Live that reported it in PRECISELY those words (that you are clearly uncomfortable with) this morning.

If you ever get your head out of the back of Barwicks arse and take a deep breath of the air in which most football supporters breathe, you might actually be in a position to recognise the sheer scale of the DAMAGE your hero is about to blithely allow to happen. He will talk about "negotiations" when he SHOULD be holding all the cards in this - but you can be absolutely sure that Barwick will happily bend over and obligingly take it up the ringer from Scudamore and 20 other Premiership chairman, despite the MASSIVE opposition from all the parties who can see straight through this money making farce and call it for exactly what it is.

If you are blindly supporting Barwick for these plans, then you are just as blinkered as the rest of them.

I can't see anything on the BBC site with this quote.

???

Barwick is a football man and will do what's best for supporters and the football world in general. I think you need to calm down because nothing has been decided as of yet about anything. when negotiations have taken place and we are clearer about the F.A's position on this would be a wiser time to judge although I have no doubt that you and many others will lambast the F.A. for whatever they do.

:down:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I can't see anything on the BBC site with this quote.

???

Barwick is a football man and will do what's best for supporters and the football world in general. I think you need to calm down because nothing has been decided as of yet about anything. when negotiations have taken place and we are clearer about the F.A's position on this would be a wiser time to judge although I have no doubt that you and many others will lambast the F.A. for whatever they do.

:down:
1) It was REPORTED on a RADIO station. There is a world out there away from the net (or so I've heard).

2) Barwick is a MONEY man, and will do what's best for the chairmen of the football world, especially those in the premier league. There should be no NEGOTIATIONS. Barwick should have gone :salute: to Scudamore and his money making scheme. And I believe we have every right to lambast the FA, as we see another lower league team (the grassroots of the game) enter administration, when the prem teams are discussing how they can make another £5m.

I can't believe a football fan is actually saying it's a good idea. You sleeping with Scudamore or something ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here