Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bart Verbruggen SINGS a 5-year deal

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Yes, but we don't know whether McGill is up to the job or not. He's done OK in the U21s, but that's not really any guidance for us. Depends what the management and coaches think - and we certainly don't know that!
To lessen the risk (if it is deemed a risk) we could always include a recall clause in Rushworth's loan to limit the risk. If the people at the club who know these things really think Mc\Gill isn't up to it, then a senior experienced GK needs to be bought in; could surely get a decent journeyman GK in for £5M or so.
Frankly I don't know why people keep bringing up McGill in the keeper conversation. He's now 24 and has played 1 professional match in his career, a cup game for League 2 Crawley.

Clearly he's content being the HGP third choice keeper, earning a good salary as the training keeper with no expectation of actually playing.

Verbruggen is the number one, either Steele or Rushworth number two (a choice to be made there by the club), McGill number three.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Somebody who got banned from that clubs fans message board for being anti semitic when the club has a Jewish owner, for example? There's some strange people out there.
TBF, I think he's only been allowed back on the condition that he sticks to football threads only, and though he arrived purely on the basis of a Potter fixation he does seem to have stuck around even though his hero has moved elsewhere.

Last edited:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Frankly I don't know why people keep bringing up McGill in the keeper conversation. He's now 24 and has played 1 professional match in his career, a cup game for League 2 Crawley in which he let in 5 goals.
Because McGill is the third keeper in our first team squad; that is the beginning and end of it. Possibly Crawley were crap (a not unreasonable idea!)
Clearly he's content being the HGP third choice keeper, earning a good salary as the training keeper with no expectation of actually playing.

Verbruggen is the number one, either Steele or Rushworth number two (a choice to be made there by the club), McGill number three.
Rushworth isn't a number two; end of. If the club's (wrong) choice is to bench Rushworth for a season, he will be off faster than Sanchez, and quite justifiably so.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Because McGill is the third keeper in our first team squad; that is the beginning and end of it. Possibly Crawley were crap (a not unreasonable idea!)

Rushworth isn't a number two; end of. If the club's (wrong) choice is to bench Rushworth for a season, he will be off faster than Sanchez, and quite justifiably so.
Crawley were crap that season, but still McGill wasn't deemed good enough to be their main goalie. Admittedly he didn't let in 5 goals, that was the game he got injured, the sub conceded 3 of those.

If we aren't going to involve Rushworth in the first team now, when are we? Do we just keep farming him out endlessly? For me, either set him the challenge of taking our first team spot or sell him.

If he's good enough, he can oust Bart. If he's not, he's still a saleable asset in 12 months. We would also have an excellent back up keeper in case of injury, which as you said, we have been unbelievably lucky with keeper injuries which has led us as a fan base to believe there is no value in having a decent backup keeper.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I don't see why Jason Steele would move anywhere. Fully expecting him to stick around.
Carl will be loaned out or sold, I guess. No point in having him on the bench. If there's a goalie injury crisis, you're allowed to recall a loanee (or sign a free transfer for that matter) so that's always covered.

Any long term injury to Bart or Steele would probably lead to someone getting recalled. Tom can do a couple of minute if a once-in-a-decade thing happens where you need to use the 3rd keeper.

Edit: Ok just saw the Southampton rumour which invalidates nearly everything I said. Guess it could mean Carl staying or another keeper coming. I really have no clue. Would prefer Jason to stay as he seems a good guy and is a decent backup.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I don't see why Jason Steele would move anywhere. Fully expecting him to stick around.
Carl will be loaned out or sold, I guess. No point in having him on the bench. If there's a goalie injury crisis, you're allowed to recall a loanee (or sign a free transfer for that matter) so that's always covered.

Any long term injury to Bart or Steele would probably lead to someone getting recalled. Tom can do a couple of minute if a once-in-a-decade thing happens where you need to use the 3rd keeper.

Edit: Ok just saw the Southampton rumour which invalidates nearly everything I said. Guess it could mean Carl staying or another keeper coming. I really have no clue. Would prefer Jason to stay as he seems a good guy and is a decent backup.
We wouldn't be permitted an out of window loan recall or signing, for as long as McGill is available. He's a senior squad GK.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Me too but after numerous seasons as a ‘good back up’ to Sanchez, then No 1 and back to No 2 again after Bart, at some point, in fairness to Steele, you have to recognise the guy deserves to be in a squad where he‘s actually playing regular matches for the remaining few seasons of his career .

I hope he gets a decent transfer - he’d make a great No 1 for a team that relies less on a football playing gk. His spatial awareness, distribution and physicality between the posts is really good.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Me too but after numerous seasons as a ‘good back up’ to Sanchez, then No 1 and back to No 2 again after Bart, at some point, in fairness to Steele, you have to recognise the guy deserves to be in a squad where he‘s actually playing regular matches for the remaining few seasons of his career .

I hope he gets a decent transfer - he’d make a great No 1 for a team that relies less on a football playing gk. His spatial awareness, distribution and physicality between the posts is really good.
Agree. If some other club feel they want Jason as their starter, he should absolutely go for it because that opportunity isn't coming again.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
We wouldn't be permitted an out of window loan recall or signing, for as long as McGill is available. He's a senior squad GK.

Bournemouth managed to recall Mark Travers last season when Neto got injured. They still had on loan Inter Milan keeper Ionuț Radu available who is a lot more experienced than Tom McGill and a full international. So it shouldn’t be too difficult to recall Carl Rushworth if an injury occurred to a keeper.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Only need one goalie to be injured to make a recall, even with McGill.

When Bournemouth got Neto injured, they could recall Trvers despite already gaving the Romanian guy and Darren Randolph. Not the first time a club gets only one goalkeeper injury and makes an out-of-window recall.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Bournemouth managed to recall Mark Travers last season when Neto got injured. They still had on loan Inter Milan keeper Ionuț Radu available who is a lot more experienced than Tom McGill and a full international. So it shouldn’t be too difficult to recall Carl Rushworth if an injury occurred to a keeper.
nerd

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

🤣🤣

I’ve actually just realised this is more than likely why Carl Rushworth was named in the PL squads last season despite being out on loan. He’d have to be named to be able to play in the event of a recall (Travers was named in Bournemouths squad at the end of last summers window despite being at Stoke on loan).

Of course if doesn’t explain why Dahoud was named in the squad for the second half of the season as he couldn’t be recalled as an outfield player.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Only need one goalie to be injured to make a recall, even with McGill.

When Bournemouth got Neto injured, they could recall Trvers despite already gaving the Romanian guy and Darren Randolph. Not the first time a club gets only one goalkeeper injury and makes an out-of-window recall.

Am I right in thinking a recall would only be allowed as long as the keeper we had left hadn't been named in five match day squads:

If a club has no professional goalkeepers available and want to sign an emergency loan player, they must submit evidence surrounding the unavailability of their other keepers. A ‘professional goalkeeper’ is classed as a player who has been named in the starting eleven on five or more occasions for a Premier League or EFL club in any competitions.

Last edited:

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
It’s fairly clear that Verbruggen will be our future number one. If Jason wants to resign to that second choice role, playing a handful of matches next season, then that is fine with me. However, I would actually prefer him to leave and move onto better things; then a younger keeper can move up the ranks.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Am I right in thinking a recall would only be allowed as long as the keeper we had left hadn't been named in five match day squads:

If a club has no professional goalkeepers available and want to sign an emergency loan player, they must submit evidence surrounding the unavailability of their other keepers. A ‘professional goalkeeper’ is classed as a player who has been named in the starting eleven on five or more occasions for a Premier League or EFL club in any competitions.

I think there is a difference between recalling your own keeper from a loan period and signing a keeper on an emergency loan from another club.

Clearly the 5 games rule didn't apply in the example both myself and @Han Solo have given with Bournemouth. They recalled Mark Travers despite having a Romanian international (Radu) who had 70 Serie A games under his belt, and another keeper (Randolph with over 30 Premier League appearances and over 400 games in his career, both available. In the first game following Travers recall, Radu actually started and Travers was on the bench.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Crawley were crap that season, but still McGill wasn't deemed good enough to be their main goalie. Admittedly he didn't let in 5 goals, that was the game he got injured, the sub conceded 3 of those.

If we aren't going to involve Rushworth in the first team now, when are we? Do we just keep farming him out endlessly? For me, either set him the challenge of taking our first team spot or sell him.

If he's good enough, he can oust Bart. If he's not, he's still a saleable asset in 12 months. We would also have an excellent back up keeper in case of injury, which as you said, we have been unbelievably lucky with keeper injuries which has led us as a fan base to believe there is no value in having a decent backup keeper.
Bart has improved in his time with us, and thanks to the Euros his profile has shot up too. Given a good 2024-25 season he will be our next biggish sale off the production line, and Rushworth, if he's had a season on loan at a lower PL or top level Championship club, would be the obvious person to step in - unless Beadle's overtaken him like Sanchez did with Walton.
The fact is - and it is a fact - that McGill is an unknown quantity to us. If Steele goes, I think we probably need to buy a no.2, but who knows? Stalling the career of Rushworth is not the answer though, either for the player himself or the club.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It’s fairly clear that Verbruggen will be our future number one. If Jason wants to resign to that second choice role, playing a handful of matches next season, then that is fine with me. However, I would actually prefer him to leave and move onto better things; then a younger keeper can move up the ranks.
Why would a younger player want to put his progress on hold by sitting on his arse for most of the season? For a no.2 the ideal is an experienced, reliable, but not exceptional older player. Like.....err....Jason Steele.
If he wants to go, we'll probably have to buy to replace him.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
It’s fairly clear that Verbruggen will be our future number one.
He's our current number one. :shrug:

brightons-dutch-goalkeeper-bart-verbruggen-reacts-as-he-receives-a-yellow-card-during-the.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here