Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bart Verbruggen SINGS a 5-year deal

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Clearly not. My point was that he wasn't a supporter last time around.
Maybe, maybe not. What is the definition of a supporter?

Who the f*** would watch Brighton 50 times a year for five years if there's no emotions towards the club?

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
The goalie rotation was ridiculous. It’s never done, with good reason, it doesn’t work
Clemence and Shilton were rotated for England for years and look how successful we were then…..oh!

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
The goalie rotation was ridiculous. It’s never done, with good reason, it doesn’t work and didn’t for us last season.

It’s clearly not harmed Bart who is absolute class and has the potential to be the best keeper in the world, but it certainly harmed our club’s season along with a number of other decisions RDZ made.
Kind of did though BV is now the Dutch no1 at the Euro semi finals Too much exposure like the Burnley lad had didn’t work
Bart was eased in gently Tbf it was questionable at the time but the result tells its own tale

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Kind of did though BV is now the Dutch no1 at the Euro semi finals Too much exposure like the Burnley lad had didn’t work
Bart was eased in gently Tbf it was questionable at the time but the result tells its own tale
Who says he wouldn't have become the Dutch no 1 if he wasn't exposed to goalie rotation?
Thousands and thousands and thousands of good goalies throughout history has become the nr 1 for their teams without participating in some sort of rotation scheme. Do those "results" also tell their own tales?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Nope but Bart did look shaky playing De Zerbi ball early doors and I’m not convinced you can compare the Belgian league with the PL for keepers and the quality of their top six clubs. Top PL clubs regularly score a hatful against mid/lower league clubs. As I said though who knows for sure, I was OK with what RDZ did under the circumstances and he did go with Bart at season’s end.

I will join the pitch forkers if it continues next season though as Bart is now clearly our number one, he wasn’t when he arrived here…imo, which is worth f*** all in fairness
The point, which many, especially the de Zerbi-can-do-no-wrong-and-cannot-be-questioned lot, miss is not that it turned out OK in the end that we've now got a very good young GK, but 1). rotating GKs cost us points through the season and a top ten spot, possibly even Europe again, and 2). the problem was a manager getting himself in a position where he had to start the season with one GK not quite good enough and one GK not quite ready.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The point, which many, especially the de Zerbi-can-do-no-wrong-and-cannot-be-questioned lot, miss is not that it turned out OK in the end that we've now got a very good young GK, but 1). rotating GKs cost us points through the season and a top ten spot, possibly even Europe again, and 2). the problem was a manager getting himself in a position where he had to start the season with one GK not quite good enough and one GK not quite ready.
1. Injuries were a significant issue in costing us a top 10/Europe spot
2. If we didn’t have a PL-ready/capable keeper, that’s primarily a recruitment issue ?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
The ”not quite good enough” keeper helped us into Europe because he was good enough and proved absolutely brilliant at being a keeper who played DeZerbi ball as RDZ wanted it played.

I accept that he’s not a top keeper but he was perfect in the run in to a European place.

I don’t like the constant knocking of Steele, he is part of our history in our best ever season :shrug:

As for last season, I don’t think Bart was ready when he arrived here and the rotation helped him get where he is now. Again just imo.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Steele now being linked with Southampton. It would be a good move for him (first choice at least until Bazunu is back) and give us the chance to keep Rushworth and give him game time in cup competitions

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
1. Injuries were ALSO a significant issue in costing us a top 10/Europe spot
Amended for you.
2. If we didn’t have a PL-ready/capable keeper, that’s primarily a recruitment issue ?
Recruitment did the best they could in the circumstances (which were not of their making). Ultimately they did a very good job, because a year later Verbruggen is looking a much better GK than he did when he joined - a happy ending.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Steele now being linked with Southampton. It would be a good move for him (first choice at least until Bazunu is back) and give us the chance to keep Rushworth and give him game time in cup competitions
Might be a good move for Steele - or maybe not; he'd probably finish up no.2 there as well. Keeping Rushworth here would be a terrible mistake. Take a chance on McGill as no.2? Either that or bring one in.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Rushworth would be wasted sitting on bench if Steele goes (which I hope he doesn’t) I would expect an older keeper to come in as No2 with Rushworth out on loan

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I wouldn't like to see Steele leave because it's hard to find an older keeper happy with mostly sitting on the bench (and he is a good deputy. He was happy with that role with us for a few years (even as #3) but after last season it wouldn't be a surprise if he didn't want to return to that... Lots of after timing/ridicule of Dezerbi now that Bart has established himself and excelled as #1 at the Euros but I certainly wasn't sure, at the time, that Bart should have played every game during the season. It's worked out well, marvellous, happy with that. If we're lucky we get another season out of Bart (he's destined for better things) and then receive another fortune.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Who the f*** would watch Brighton 50 times a year for five years if there's no emotions towards the club?
Someone who enjoys arguing on the internet.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Might be a good move for Steele - or maybe not; he'd probably finish up no.2 there as well. Keeping Rushworth here would be a terrible mistake. Take a chance on McGill as no.2? Either that or bring one in.

I know we've been lucky in this department, but there were a number of GK injuries last season - with most notably Chelsea and Newcastle's second keepers playing more than half of their PL games, and City/ Liverpool's played a quarter (plus cup / European games). Villa also suffered in this area at the end of the season.

It would be a shame to get the squad into good shape, then Verbruggen get injured leaving us with McGill in goal for the season.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Somebody who got banned from that clubs fans message board for being anti semitic when the club has a Jewish owner, for example? There's some strange people out there.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I know we've been lucky in this department, but there were a number of GK injuries last season - with most notably Chelsea and Newcastle's second keepers playing more than half of their PL games, and City/ Liverpool's played a quarter (plus cup / European games). Villa also suffered in this area at the end of the season.

It would be a shame to get the squad into good shape, then Verbruggen get injured leaving us with McGill in goal for the season.
Yes, but we don't know whether McGill is up to the job or not. He's done OK in the U21s, but that's not really any guidance for us. Depends what the management and coaches think - and we certainly don't know that!
To lessen the risk (if it is deemed a risk) we could always include a recall clause in Rushworth's loan to limit the risk. If the people at the club who know these things really think Mc\Gill isn't up to it, then a senior experienced GK needs to be bought in; could surely get a decent journeyman GK in for £5M or so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here