PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
At least it's happened now, so they can make a more informed decision about whether Rushworth is ahead of Steele.
No decision to be made - apart from where Rushworth goes on loan. He does NOT need a season - or even half a season - sitting on the bench. He may be preferred to Steele for those first two matches (with a deadline day move to follow); Steele is an ideal no.2 for the rest of the season.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
No decision to be made - apart from where Rushworth goes on loan. He does NOT need a season - or even half a season - sitting on the bench. He may be preferred to Steele for those first two matches (with a deadline day move to follow); Steele is an ideal no.2 for the rest of the season.
Although it appears Bart’s injury is only short term this will make the thinking of what to do with Rushworth a lot less black and white.

Keeping him for the first two games of the season may limit his loan options, a club might want him for some of pre season and to be available to them from game one, this could mean they go for another target.

If he does start the season with us and plays then we have to get any potential loan move spot on as we couldn’t move him to another club in January if it wasn’t working out. He’d be able to be recalled but then would have to spend the second half of the season with us.

It’s also possible that Bart could be out for longer than 6 weeks or recovers quicker than expected. Either of those things could change the thinking again. Longer could mean we go with Rushworth for an extended period of time, shorter and it could be Bart is back for the start of the season and Rushworth is out on loan.

There is now a lot to consider for the club before they make any decision on what happens to Carl Rushworth and any potential loan move.

Of course this all could be moot and not make any difference and the manager will go with Jason Steele for the start of the season with Tom McGill on the bench.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022

I guess it depends on if we are absolutely sure Verbruggen will be back to playing in six weeks and there won't be any setbacks. After last season (Estupinan/Enciso spring to mind) we need to remember that return dates aren't always reliable.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
At least it's happened now, so they can make a more informed decision about whether Rushworth is ahead of Steele.
Hold on though.

I've been informed by several noted posters that it's not possible for us to have a goalkeeping injury, (I think) on the logic that it hasn't happened for a while) therefore we don't need a quality back up option

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I guess it depends on if we are absolutely sure Verbruggen will be back to playing in six weeks and there won't be any setbacks. After last season (Estupinan/Enciso spring to mind) we need to remember that return dates aren't always reliable.
Well yes. For Man Utd home, i'm reading Man Utd away

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It'll be like last season's keeper roulette all over again :lolol:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
How the f*** did that happen, don’t believe it, the source posts ANYTHING he sees in the media about the Albion and most of it is bollocks.

I’ll wait for something more official before believing it

Last thing I saw from him was that Gross was GONE.
I'm struggling with this as well. 8 days ago he was playing in an international sem-final. Won't he have just been chillaxing on a beach somewhere since then?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'd keep Rushworth, you need a good back up to cope with precisely this situation.
I wouldn't. Over the season, he'll be far better served going out on loan, and settling in to his new club prior to the start of the season. If that club are happy to delay his start, then fair enough but I doubt that they will.
We've got Bart and Steele. Bart is clearly number one, but Jason is a more than competent number two that has had plenty of PL (and EL, and FA Cup, etc) experience over the past two seasons.
Are you expecting Rushworth to be number two and, if so, (i) what happens to Steele and (ii) how many games do you expect him to play and do you think this will be a sufficient number for his development at this age?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We've already got a good back up. He's called Jason Steele, our no.2 GK.
Absolutely correct. We don't want Rushworth and Beadle here getting splinters because they only get to play 6 Premier League games a season. They need sustained exposure to the professional game.

We are actually very lucky to have Jason Steele - he is a well regard professional who is old enough to know he's never going to be first choice at a Premier League club, but does exactly what is asked of him, knowing that he will get occasional games.

It's not good news when he has to play, but it's a lot better than having a pissed off talented youngster getting frustrated at getting no game time.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
We are actually very lucky to have Jason Steele - he is a well regard professional who is old enough to know he's never going to be first choice at a Premier League club, but does exactly what is asked of him, knowing that he will get occasional games.

It's not good news when he has to play, but it's a lot better than having a pissed off talented youngster getting frustrated at getting no game time.

How many games would Bart have to be injured for and Jason have to start before you would prefer to have another option eg. Rushworth available?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How many games would Bart have to be injured for and Jason have to start before you would prefer to have another option eg. Rushworth available?
10-12 I'd say.

Even then, that is still only 1 every 4 games across three competitions. No young keeper capable of Championship football is going to be interested in that, unless they're at a club that expects to win trophies and pays them a lot of money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here