Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barry Lloyd....

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Took over a struggling, financially restricted club and in the end had to sell players to keep the club going - that is a fact.

One game from the premier league is a fact.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sorry incorrect. He inherited Alan Mullery''s team from his second unsuccessful stint, which was already near the bottom of the table. Mullery inherited Chris Cattlin's team which had also began to struggle as the troubles set in.

Arguably I feel Chris Cattlin was probably the hardest done manager, as he didn't do a lot wrong.....

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
Hopefully the days of dodgy,stopgap managers is over for a while and Gus is the "Real Deal".
Probably the best chance of success since Mullery the first time around.:bowdown:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Sorry incorrect. He inherited Alan Mullery''s team from his second unsuccessful stint, which was already near the bottom of the table. Mullery inherited Chris Cattlin's team which had also began to struggle as the troubles set in.

Arguably I feel Chris Cattlin was probably the hardest done manager, as he didn't do a lot wrong.....

He was basically held accountable for Fash's dodgy knee.

Some of the Players Lloyd replaced and what he replaced them with is still unforgivable.

You have to look what he took over and what he left behind and he did have money to spend and actually spent quite alot. Add to the fact his PR skills and stubborness and it has to be

BARRY BARRY BARRY OUT OUT OUT

It was always a big divide in the North over this so no suprises some still don't get it

stan

Oct 8, 2008
Suprised he's still alive. I sat opposite him on a train in 1990 and between Worthing and Portslade he smoked 3 fags. Thats proper chaining it.

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
God help us

Why can't he just fcuk off and leave the club he helped destroy alone

Come on....get your facts right please.

A relative of mine worked for the Inland Revenue at the time the Albion were going bust. Stanley and co left Barry to deal with it all on his own. It was Barry that was involved with the meetings with the Inland revenue and with the sale of Beeney kept the club alive.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Come on....get your facts right please.

A relative of mine worked for the Inland Revenue at the time the Albion were going bust. Stanley and co left Barry to deal with it all on his own. It was Barry that was involved with the meetings with the Inland revenue and with the sale of Beeney kept the club alive.

I didn't know he was as involved as that, but quite. To say he 'destroyed' when he actually saved it at one point beggars belief.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Lloyd had no relationship with the fans and was in my opinion one of the main instigators of getting Greg Stanley involved in the club.

The further Lloyd is away from BHA the better!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
So apart from:-

Getting us one game away from the premier league; never giving Albion supporters a dull moment at the Goldstone for pretty much an entire season; being within a whisker of beating Liverpool at Anfield ; giving us Sir Jonald of Crumplin, Micky S, ENTERTAINMENT & the last minute Wendy special and pitch invasion against Ipswich and DELIRIOUS scenes against Chavwall; taking over a struggling, financially restricted club & being left by Stanley and co. to deal with the Inland Revenue at the time the Albion were going bust & overseeing the sale of Beeney to keep the club alive...

..what the f*** has Barry Lloyd ever done for us?

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
My friend shared a flat with him up until 2 years ago, used to round and see him a bit. He lives with his sister and drinks a lot

However, he loves the albion - he has old programs and pictures all over his flat - just laying about.

End of interesting info.

Wasn't he the 1 who brought us the mighty Mark Farrington?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
So apart from:-

Getting us one game away from the premier league; never giving Albion supporters a dull moment at the Goldstone for pretty much an entire season; being within a whisker of beating Liverpool at Anfield ; giving us Sir Jonald of Crumplin, Micky S, ENTERTAINMENT & the last minute Wendy special and pitch invasion against Ipswich and DELIRIOUS scenes against Chavwall; taking over a struggling, financially restricted club & being left by Stanley and co. to deal with the Inland Revenue at the time the Albion were going bust & overseeing the sale of Beeney to keep the club alive...

..what the f*** has Barry Lloyd ever done for us?

that 1 season aside it was all total wank for a decade but yeah lets not worry about that (remember limping to relegation the season after play offs ... nah thought not)

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
that 1 season aside it was all total wank for a decade but yeah lets not worry about that (remember limping to relegation the season after play offs ... nah thought not)

Because we were forced to sell Small, Byrne, etc to keep going as a club

Can't blame everything on Lloyd, he inherited a shit side which was relegated, he then rebuilt it and got automatic promotion the following year. We then progressed to the brink of the top division before the mounting debts forced us to sell all the best players.

I'd be pretty hard pushed to find any other Brighton manager in my lifetime that spotted as many quality players on a shoestring like he did.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Because we were forced to sell Small, Byrne, etc to keep going as a club

Can't blame everything on Lloyd, he inherited a shit side which was relegated, he then rebuilt it and got automatic promotion the following year. We then progressed to the brink of the top division before the mounting debts forced us to sell all the best players.

I'd be pretty hard pushed to find any other Brighton manager in my lifetime that spotted as many quality players on a shoestring like he did.

Didn't we sign Bissett and Farrington after 1991 so money was there which is more than a lot of managers that have done better.

For every gem he found he also found several absolute Duds

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

I don't actually, but then I wasn't a Brighton supporter at the time. I just thought I'd try & lighten the mood a tad - in a Pythonesque stylee.

That worked well then.

:whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here