Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barry Lloyd Will it ever happen again?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Barry Lloyd was just over a month short of managing the Albion for 7 years. In that time we went down twice, went up once and were within 90 minutes of a return to top flight football.

In today's climate I doubt he would have lasted beyond that first relegation or that losing run at the beginning of 88-89.

But will Gus or any other future Albion boss last that amount of time?

However big we think the Albion potentially can be, sooner or later* either Chelsea, Spurs or someone of that ilk will come knocking for Gus if he carries on the way he started.

* and long before 7 years

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
One factor in BL's long reign was that he was much more than just the team manager. He acted as chief executive, cook and bottle-washer and to sack him would have caused much more than the ripple you get from firing a normal manager. Wasn't the long-lived Graham Turner at Hereford another of those managers who did everything bar wash the dirty kit? That said, the Albion was in a just-bumpin'-along sort of mood 20 years ago.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Barry is our leader, Barry is our king, this is what we think of him and this is what we sing....w

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Could not stand the bloke. On the footballing front, bloody hideous

Arty is dead right. Every year I would turn up and every year he would play Crumplin. And he brought Richard Tiltman to the club. I don't give a flying one if he washed the feckin kit, he was utter shithouse.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
To be fair he also signed some decent players...Nelson, Byrne, Small, Gotsmanov, Keeley....I never took to the bloke though.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
What everyone has said. The fact despite getting us promotion and the play off final he never had another league management job says it all.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Say what you like about Lloyd, but how many other managers (Mullery excepted) have taken the club to within 90 minutes of the top division...I will save the time of those who genuinely haven't a clue, there aren't any.

Yeah, he made some pretty curious decisions with regards team selections, I am guessing that around that time he might have just been a puppet and the decisions were being made elsewhere...a bit like the modern Chelsea, but without the money and grinning loon, if you get my drift!

Probably my favourite season as a supporte was under Lloyd (87/88), promotion and a long run in the cup with a fairly decent pair of strikers, Nelson and Bremmner, happy days!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Say what you like about Lloyd, but how many other managers (Mullery excepted) have taken the club to within 90 minutes of the top division...I will save the time of those who genuinely haven't a clue, there aren't any.

Yeah, he made some pretty curious decisions with regards team selections, I am guessing that around that time he might have just been a puppet and the decisions were being made elsewhere...a bit like the modern Chelsea, but without the money and grinning loon, if you get my drift!

Probably my favourite season as a supporte was under Lloyd (87/88), promotion and a long run in the cup with a fairly decent pair of strikers, Nelson and Bremmner, happy days!
Mine as well: Keeley, Dublin, Gatting, Rougvie, Chapman, Penney, Wilkins, Curbishley, Wood, Nelson, Bremner....classic Albion XI

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He did a decent job for us - that team that nearly got promoted was good, and played decent football. It wasn't Lloyd's fault that (nearly) half the team weren't there the next season!

Sep 1, 2010
Not a case of short memories for me. One good season alot more bad ones. Some of his tactical decisions were bloody awful.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It shouldn't be forgotten that there was a lot of hatred to Lloyd in his later years. A lot of people thought he overstayed his welcome at the Albion. I recall many a game with chants of "Lloyd Out" from the North stand..

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
*waits for all the Lloyd lovers to post*

*thinks about whats worse.....NSC Mafia or Lloyd Lovers?*

*for the record, I have no issue with Lloyd except all his team selections*

*in jest of course*

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
As a pedant Chris Cattlin also took us to 90minutes from the top flight because if the results had gone our way when we beat Sheffield United in 84/84 we would have been promoted. That was a missed opportunity as we threw away loads of games that season by not converting chances yet still got to the last game of the season with a chance of going up.
Far better than 90/91 when we fluked our way into the play offs with a negative goal difference.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
As a pedant Chris Cattlin also took us to 90minutes from the top flight because if the results had gone our way when we beat Sheffield United in 84/84 we would have been promoted. That was a missed opportunity as we threw away loads of games that season by not converting chances yet still got to the last game of the season with a chance of going up.
Far better than 90/91 when we fluked our way into the play offs with a negative goal difference.

Well put Ernest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here