Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barry Lloyd Will it ever happen again?

Sep 1, 2010
Good idea, I will never forget the day when I got my activities confused whist attempting a multi task of blending, cheese cutting and organ grinding

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Some very short memories out there.
Lloyd achieved far more than Poyet has at the club (so far).
Gus name is not worthy to be mentioned in the same sentence as our Barry!

Agree it was lloyds teams that got me hooked on the Albion. It may not have been pretty at times but i got to see the Albion within 90 minutes of the top division in english football no Albion manager since has managed that.......... Yet. But it's a hell of a long way off despite the current optimism.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Jesus!!!

Looking at the thread title I thought you were suggesting 'will Barry Lioyd ever manage the Albion again'

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I was young at the time but I thought Lloyd was brilliant for us, the football wasn't great and he made some dodgy signing but he made a lot of very good signings some of our games under him were superb, Millwall ihome and away in the play-offs, Liverpool home and away in the cup. If we hadn't had to sell Byrne, Nelson and Small pretty much all at the same time who knows what we could have done

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Barry Lloyd was a manager i detested, he would never bring on subs, even though the came was crying out for somethung different, he was dour, miserable, oh my god what a boring twat of a man that was. The day the announcement came that he had gone, i honestly danced around the house cheering!

And now im going to defend him, Barry Lloyd managed this team during extremely trying times for this club. It wasnt until he had been replaced by Liam Brady that we all started to realise the conditions that the managers of that time (Lloyd included) had been working under with succesive boards that had been trying to redress the amount of money that this club was losing, and then of course one board that was hell bent on closing us down.

Despite this Lloyd managed to get us to a play off final and a promotion, i only really blame him for the 2nd relegation and by that time we were falling apart at the seems, the blame for the 1st relegation has to lie with Alan Mullery, who had left us as in a shocking mess before Lloyd took over.

sold international for 60k bought 2 non league players for £250k spent £800k although he was thought to have an eye for a bargain??? cattlin signed internationals for £40,000 danny wilson £10,000 steve penny £33 dean saunders. although justin fashinu at £100k didn't come off for cattlin we spent more on non league player nicky blisset under lloyd which is forgotten:cool:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Lloyd was probably one of the most unpopular managers this club has ever had and his reign coincided with the start of the demise of Brighton & Hove Albion as it was then.

Lloyd had no relationship with fans and treated us with complete and utter contempt.

The further that bloke is away from Brighton, in my opinion the better!

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I believe that after he and Bellotti had a major falling out over signing a player he ended up punching said Chief Executive in the face, and for that we should all owe him a major round of applause.

And for the record I liked him as a manager, don't forget all those people that moaned about his substitutions, that only ONE sub was allowed in those days, and that had to be kept back in the event of injuries, so to make a tactical substitution was nowhere near as routine as it is now.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
One factor in BL's long reign was that he was much more than just the team manager. He acted as chief executive, cook and bottle-washer and to sack him would have caused much more than the ripple you get from firing a normal manager. Wasn't the long-lived Graham Turner at Hereford another of those managers who did everything bar wash the dirty kit? That said, the Albion was in a just-bumpin'-along sort of mood 20 years ago.

May be wrong but I thought he was chairman and therefore having a nice secure job as manager !

As a pedant Chris Cattlin also took us to 90minutes from the top flight because if the results had gone our way when we beat Sheffield United in 84/84 we would have been promoted. That was a missed opportunity as we threw away loads of games that season by not converting chances yet still got to the last game of the season with a chance of going up.
Far better than 90/91 when we fluked our way into the play offs with a negative goal difference.

Bit unfair Ernets. I don't think we fluked our way in having played 46 games. OK we took it right to the wire, but cometh the hour, cometh the man, cometh the free kick . ooh is that Phil Parks picking the ball out of the net????? I do believe it is!

and lets not forget who gave Archer the black eye|!

As a pedant Chris Cattlin also took us to 90minutes from the top flight because if the results had gone our way when we beat Sheffield United in 84/84 we would have been promoted. That was a missed opportunity as we threw away loads of games that season by not converting chances yet still got to the last game of the season with a chance of going up.
Far better than 90/91 when we fluked our way into the play offs with a negative goal difference.

Which is why Cattlin was sacked.

Lloyd was given a pretty unenviable task to start with, namely to clear up the mess left by the horrific Mullery second coming. His first job was to slash the wage bill as the one we had was unsustainable

Granted that still doesn't explain picking Richard Tiltman over Dean Saunders

I believe that after he and Bellotti had a major falling out over signing a player he ended up punching said Chief Executive in the face, and for that we should all owe him a major round of applause.

And for the record I liked him as a manager, don't forget all those people that moaned about his substitutions, that only ONE sub was allowed in those days, and that had to be kept back in the event of injuries, so to make a tactical substitution was nowhere near as routine as it is now.
:angry: not fond of either best a double knockout:smokin:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here