Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barry Lloyd was a good manager.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Barry Lloyd was a good manager!!!!!!

This is a joke, right. He was an OK scout, but as a manager he was the worst that Brighton have had in the 40 years I have supported them. During that period I knew several players and they thought he was rubbish too.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Bear in mind you've only heard Nelson's version of events though, if Lloyd gave his side I have a feeling it would be rather different.

Fair enough - he still got rid of him prematurely though.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Given the dire situation that Lloyd eventually worked under, one cannot argue that Lloyd has to be recognised as a good manager. As with most managers bad players were signed but he signed some absolute gems. P-oyet has signed or taken on loan players who can hardly be described as brilliant plus some have spent most of their time injured.

fishing

if not

Delusional and wrong

Jan 30, 2008

This is a joke, right. He was an OK scout, but as a manager he was the worst that Brighton have had in the 40 years I have supported them. During that period I knew several players and they thought he was rubbish too.
Chris Cattlin was worse :rolleyes:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield

Worse than Hinshlewood - you really are not very bright

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I think he did a good job amd as you say is the only Albion manager that has taken me to wembley to see the albion. Lets see Poyet manage that.

Only then will Poyet be in the same league

Yea Poyet dodged the play-offs last year.:lolol:

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
I think he did a good job amd as you say is the only Albion manager that has taken me to wembley to see the albion. Lets see Poyet manage that.

Only then will Poyet be in the same league

well, i suppose that makes him the best manager of all time then.

plus he was a wizard in the transfer market, bagging 60k for dean saunders,

hats off to barry...

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
well, i suppose that makes him the best manager of all time then.

plus he was a wizard in the transfer market, bagging 60k for dean saunders,

hats off to barry...

Not forgetting he replaced Saunders and other first teamers with the likes of Horsfield and Tiltman. Non leaguers

Always amazes me how Mullery got the bullet halfway through the season with Albion in 15th place, eight points clear of the relegation (having had next to no money to spend, and having to release lots of first team regulars). In stepped Lloyd who took 15 matches to win a match. Yet it seems it's Mullery who is always blamed for things going pear-shaped post-Cattlin.

:facepalm:
sometimes you wanna scream:moo:

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Whatever the view, the facts speak for themselves, he got us within 90 minutes of the top flight.

Enough for me.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009

Very much so. The crowd didn't call him 'Barry Who' for nothing!

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I remember reading an article in a newspaper about Barry Lloyd's transfer dealings and I think during his time in charge we made a profit of about £7m, but my memory might be letting me down.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
When we were back in the Third Division second time round I remember Stuart Tuck telling me that it was hard to know who was running the playing side of things, there were so many mixed messages.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Check out how poor that play-off division was and how many matches we lost at home. We fluked it and even had a negagtive goal dif.

We were poor, as the following season showed. Lloyd took us from big time to little league. Not all his fault, it's true, but I remember too many games where he would not use subs and other teams would use tactical substitutions to win games.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I remember too many games where he would not use subs and other teams would use tactical substitutions to win games.

Unless my memory is failing we signed Sergei Gotsmanov (sp) and Lloyd left him on the bench repeatedly.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You can't "fluke" it to 5th spot at the end of the season, and the fact we went down the following season can hardly be laid at Lloyds door, given that half the squad he assembled in that Playoff year had to be sold - losing Small and Byrne was a disaster. And that was a decent team that pushed Liverpool all the way in that EPIC cup tie in 91. Look at some of the players Lloyd brought in.

Small
Byrne
Walker
Nelson
Dublin
Keeley
Beeney
Rougvie
May
Bissett
Gotsmanov
Barham
Gall
Nogan

Yes there were plenty of duffers as well, but on the whole, and given the state of things behind the scenes at the club back then, Lloyd did not do a bad job.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Lets face it he was working with one hand tied up behind his back with the chuckle brothers in charge ... he was forced to sell Saunders and the rest for peanuts to keep the club afloat. I wonder how some of you would cope if your best players were forever being sold under your feet

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
he is definitely in the best 3 managers we have ever had - Poyet, Adams etc have only done it with us at a lower level and until Poyet gets us within 90 mins of the top flight with the backing, money and new stadium he isn't good enough to warm Barry Lloyds seat on the bench.

You can't "fluke" it to 5th spot at the end of the season, and the fact we went down the following season can hardly be laid at Lloyds door, given that half the squad he assembled in that Playoff year had to be sold - losing Small and Byrne was a disaster. And that was a decent team that pushed Liverpool all the way in that EPIC cup tie in 91. Look at some of the players Lloyd brought in.

Small
Byrne
Walker
Nelson
Dublin
Keeley
Beeney
Rougvie
May
Bissett
Gotsmanov
Barham
Gall
Nogan

Yes there were plenty of duffers as well, but on the whole, and given the state of things behind the scenes at the club back then, Lloyd did not do a bad job.

Not forgetting Steve Cotterill and Paul Maulden. Lloyd begged the bank manager for the 250,000 it would have cost to sign Cotterill. If we had signed both Cotterill and Maulden we would have gone up that season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here