Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barry Lloyd was a good manager.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
You can't "fluke" it to 5th spot at the end of the season, and the fact we went down the following season can hardly be laid at Lloyds door, given that half the squad he assembled in that Playoff year had to be sold - losing Small and Byrne was a disaster. And that was a decent team that pushed Liverpool all the way in that EPIC cup tie in 91. Look at some of the players Lloyd brought in.

Small
Byrne
Walker
Nelson
Dublin
Keeley
Beeney
Rougvie
May
Bissett
Gotsmanov
Barham
Gall
Nogan

Yes there were plenty of duffers as well, but on the whole, and given the state of things behind the scenes at the club back then, Lloyd did not do a bad job.

And let's even it out...

Adrian Owers
Grant Horscroft
Darren Hughes
Richard Tiltman
Geoff Cooper
Les Briley
Kevan Brown
Greg Campbell
Matthew Edwards
Mark Farrington
Bernard Gallacher
Robert Isaac
Dale Jasper
Andy Kennedy
Junior Macdougald
Raphael Meade
Denny Mundee
Gary Rowell
Mike Trusson
Darron Wilkinson
Ally Dick

..in all fairness I wasn't even a fan of Codner or Wilkins when they were playing either.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
And let's even it out...

Adrian Owers
Grant Horscroft
Darren Hughes
Richard Tiltman
Geoff Cooper
Les Briley
Kevan Brown
Greg Campbell
Matthew Edwards
Mark Farrington
Bernard Gallacher
Robert Isaac
Dale Jasper
Andy Kennedy
Junior Macdougald
Raphael Meade
Denny Mundee
Gary Rowell
Mike Trusson
Darron Wilkinson
Ally Dick

..in all fairness I wasn't even a fan of Codner or Wilkins when they were playing either.

Hughes, Mundee and McDougald were not signed by Lloyd

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
well, i suppose that makes him the best manager of all time then.

plus he was a wizard in the transfer market, bagging 60k for dean saunders,

hats off to barry...

I think you will find it was the bank that forced us to sell at any price hence the pittence we got for our only saleable asset.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Arrgghhh. I have read through the thread and I am still undecided as to which side of the fence I sit. Some signings were fantastic and some were utter garbage. Has there ever been a manager ANYWHERE who got it right ALL of thee time though ?.

All I will add is that he gave me, my best Albion supporting season, that I have ever had. In fact better than I will ever have. SURELY NOT I HEAR YOU SAY, WE COULD GET TO THE PREM. Yes maybe one day, but we will never get the chance to do it with terracing. I do not think you couldd ever beat that 4 - 1 against Millwall on the north stand. Or the 2 - 1 away either for that matter. And I shook the great mans hand outside the away end after that semi final victory.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Tilts was actually signed by Mullery, admittedly on Lloydy's recommendation. Lloyd did give him his debut though.

For me the worst thing he did was buy Mark Farrington. One of the worst players I have ever seen.

Still when you balance resources available and the conditions he was being forced to work in, as Lord Bamber stated 90 mins from the Premier League is a fantastic effort.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Maybe not our greatest manager but not only did he manage this club through some of it's worst times he got us promoted and into a Wembley play off final. When you look at what most of his successors achieved (bugger all in the main) it's very hard to judge the man on the results of the later stages of his stewardship. After all, Mickey soon became Thickey on his return so I think people need to keep some perspective.

Suppose we struggle next season ? We thought we were on a winner with Slade for example after his saviour act but a few months later what happened ?

Not our greatest manager? who else has got us promoted to the top flight and to an FA cup final , if Gus achieves that he will be in contention

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The players at the time thought he was a joke. He did not have the courage to look them in the eye whilst giving the team talk and spent most of the time talking to his feet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here