Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barry Lloyd and I need a lift to Scunthorpe

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Harty said:
Thanks all, to explain due to IHFS commitments the car I would normally travel in is required back in Worthing, Mrs H is out and about and Hawesy is staying up for the weekend.
Car hire was an option but why use Hertz when you have NSC?

Anyway DTG is our 'Parker' and rip roaring day looks on the cards....

And John the Mark Gall story is best left alone!!!!!

Then why not tell the listeners about our day to Plymouth on the Gulls eye express in 89 and how Bushfire Erskine spent nearly all day naked apart from a surgical mask round his genitalia.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
attila said:
Ask Ian, Dave, while Lloyd is there - then we'll see what the fearless dreadnought is made of!

Fearless dreadnought.......

That's rich coming from the Alvin Stardust of the Indie scene!!!!:lolol:

Last edited:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Could someone in the car please ask him whether he now acknowledges that Richard Tiltman did not have what it takes to be a professional footballer?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
If I was home, I would definitely of helped you out Harty. I reckon that will be a right giggle!

:drink: :clap:

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
hove born&bred said:
However what does concern me is that an ex pro footballer and manager, sub in the 1975 FA Cup Final no less and a local radio personal.............no broadcaster can't oraganise a car between them ........what about AVIS.

VERY good question ???

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Tooting Gull said:
Did we really win? There were a few trips to Fulham. Maybe that's why I remember it, I can't imagine anyone getting that abuse after a victory unless they were really unpopular.

I remember a night game at Craven Cottage when Adams was manager of Fulham. We got played off the park and there was loads of abuse for thre Albion manager, I thought it was Case but can't be sure.

Is the Mark Gall story anything to do with a tea leaf???

What everyone conveniently forgets when slagging off LLoyd is that he secured some excellent mostly free transfers. Small, Byrne, Gotsmanov, just one half as good as those three would be a miracle today. He was also managing in far far darker times than MM adn DW have managed .

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Icy Gull said:
I remember a night game at Craven Cottage when Adams was manager of Fulham. We got played off the park and there was loads of abuse for thre Albion manager, I thought it was Case but can't be sure.

What everyone conveniently forgets when slagging off LLoyd is that he secured some excellent mostly free transfers. Small, Byrne, Gotsmanov, just one half as good as those three would be a miracle today. He was also managing in far far darker times than MM adn DW have managed .

Tis true!

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Mr Blobby said:
Barry Lloyd did make some excellent signings, Small, Byrne etc etc but he made a mistake in trying to lead the new ground project at the same time as being manager and hence everything started to fall apart.

Isn't that the same as Dick Knight now but without the signings:D

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
also sold byrne for cheap + he then took sunderland tp cup final :nono: while we..............were taken down :nono:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Jimmy Saville said:
I'm worried that it's a sign of things to come. In a season or two there might be threads about people giving Gary Hart, Michel Kuipers and Dean Hammond a lift to Kidderminster. Can anbody wash the kit this week? Does anyone have a ball we can play with?

THAT would be a dream come true :love:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Dougal said:
so how much did we get out of gotmansov then ? :nono: 7 games ?

Sergei Gotsmanov arrived at the Goldstone on trial in February, 1990. He had already won 31 caps for the USSR and scored in the Soviets' 2-0 defeat of England at Wembley.

Gotsmanov bagged four goals in 16 games for Albion, including a moment of real class in one game when he rounded the opposition goalkeeper and saluted to the fans in the South Stand before putting the ball in the net.

Albion wanted to make the deal permanent, but could not match the terms offered by Southampton.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
attila said:
Sorry, Ian, Mike's driving and there's not enough space.....
but please promise to tell the person who volunteers the story about
Mark Gall (while Lloyd is in the car)

...and no, I can't post it on here....

I wondered if I had imagined that comment. Can't have any respect for Mr Lloyd after that.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Icy Gull said:

I remember Liam Brady confronting an Albion fan right in the corner by the cottage after an evening defeat to Fulham. Might have been a cup game, that season we got them in the League and FA cup.... I think. gerry Ryan had to pull him away.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hercules Rockerfeller said:
I remember Liam Brady confronting an Albion fan right in the corner by the cottage after an evening defeat to Fulham. Might have been a cup game, that season we got them in the League and FA cup.... I think. gerry Ryan had to pull him away.

Think you're right it was Brady not Case, absolute shite team performance whoever the manager was. Half the future Brighton team thrashed us that night :lol:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
hopkins said:
You could ask Harty why hes in that picture book 'a casual look' standing with a bunch of hooligans after the Bristol Rovers game 1988 last game of the season ?

Perhaps looking for a disturbance

???

(lights fuse and rolls it towards Mr Hart).

I seem to recall another picture in the Argus around that time with DTG in the Chicken Run "waving" to (let's all call him) Baz. I also recall the caption referring to the "wave" as some kind of salute.

DTG - would you like to explain to us (or to Baz in the car)?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
timbha said:
I seem to recall another picture in the Argus around that time with DTG in the Chicken Run "waving" to (let's all call him) Baz. I also recall the caption referring to the "wave" as some kind of salute.

DTG - would you like to explain to us (or to Baz in the car)?

i was hoping no-one would memtion that....it was at bristol rovers(bath ground) we were losing 3-0 and we all started waving " Bye bye Barry"

:down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Jimmy Saville said:
Does anyone have a ball we can play with?

You joke about that but there was a game at The Goldstone at the begining of the season must have been against Portsmouth because Alan Ball was the opposing manager and Alan Mullery ours, I was in the Executive Club and the club had to send out at 2.35 for an adaptor to blow up the match ball to kick off at 3.00pm. They phoned a taxi firm who picked one up from a sports shop and brought it to the ground with minutes to spare.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
H block said:
Then why not tell the listeners about our day to Plymouth on the Gulls eye express in 89 and how Bushfire Erskine spent nearly all day naked apart from a surgical mask round his genitalia.

Is he the lttle fellow that was once the oldest ball boy for a match I have ever seen

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here