do you agree with hearn?

• YEAH! you tell 'em bazza!

Votes: 94 84.7%
  • oh shut up you loudmouth PLUM!

Votes: 17 15.3%

• Total voters

SeagullSi

Jan 10, 2010
Guaranteed relegated one division would be enough with those already down being relegated two divisions.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Two divisions ? Yes, I agree, seems that Leeds and Southampton have come away in good shape and no doubt Pompey and Palarse will as well. The 10 point deduction didn't make any difference to Palace did it ? The other three were going down anyway.

We had to get rid of 4 players in total and stayed up on the final day, 10 points deduction made a huge difference. Take away the deduction and we were fine. I think only two sides have survived with a mid season points deduction.

It's hard to draw the line now. Clubs like Leicester were lucky enough not to get the 10 point penalty, their current position would surely be a lot bleaker had this of happened. The same would be if they imposed much bigger penalties, the next side to fall into admin would argue that teams like Palace and Pompey should of had similar treatment.

Personally, I would stick with the 10 point penalty, it's roughly 15-20% of a teams points total so it's usually effective. On top of that though, if the team came out the other end in the same division they should have a promotion ban for 1-2 years.

If we come out the other side of administration debt free and were somehow promoted, I would completely understand why other fans would feel aggrieved

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
We had to get rid of 4 players in total and stayed up on the final day, 10 points deduction made a huge difference. Take away the deduction and we were fine. I think only two sides have survived with a mid season points deduction.

It's hard to draw the line now. Clubs like Leicester were lucky enough not to get the 10 point penalty, their current position would surely be a lot bleaker had this of happened. The same would be if they imposed much bigger penalties, the next side to fall into admin would argue that teams like Palace and Pompey should of had similar treatment.

Personally, I would stick with the 10 point penalty, it's roughly 15-20% of a teams points total so it's usually effective. On top of that though, if the team came out the other end in the same division they should have a promotion ban for 1-2 years.

If we come out the other side of administration debt free and were somehow promoted, I would completely understand why other fans would feel aggrieved

It's not effective though is it ? Where would Palace be if they had paid for players that they could afford rather than who they actually had ? Could they have survived on Scunthorpe's budget ? Where would we be if we'd have over spent the way our nearest neighbours have ?

Last edited:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Totally totally agree with this statement 100% .... most teams are using admin to restart the new season with zero debt ...

Dispense with the preferential creditor rule for football related debts, the only permitted preferential creditor should be HMRC - if necessary the govt should legislate to achieve both of these. Make non-payment of collected NI, VAT and Income Tax to HMRC a criminal offence for the company's directors, perhaps even the responsible executive management, as these monies never belong to the company. I guess that a successful prosecution would lead to an individual being disqualified from being a company director.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Two seem's a bit harsh, one maybe or at least a 30 point penalty as a club like Stockport or Southend who just don't have the reasources in the first place and no chance of a sugar daddy taking them over would find themselfs in non-league and the real threat of ceasing to exist all together.

It's quite simple, if you don't have it in the first place, don't spend it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
what about a salary cap based on your attendance/ turn over receipts for all clubs. I think this is what the Rugby League does.

In effect that would mean that teams would not be allowed to run up huge debts playing players who are on rediculous wages. One issue with relegation is when it kicks in...if its the end of the season and say a club goes into administration in September, then their results throughout the season would be brought into question as basically they couldnt give a toss as they are relegated anyway.

Stinky Pete

Aug 31, 2009
London
They should also be immediately thrown out of the FA cup it they are still in it when they enter administration. It's outrageous that that Portsmouth can be in the FA cup final when they have bought a team that they can't afford in order to get there. Most other clubs at least try to stick to some kind of player budget, at least one that is less than the club's total income, so Portmouth have got an unfair advantage over similar sized clubs that play by the rules.

Exactly my thoughts

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with Hearn that 2 divisions is about right.

However, it's difficult to see even with tougher penalties how things are going to improve for the better:

As long as the Man City's and Chelsea's of this world continue to pay crazy money there will be wage inflation being passed down through the leagues. It is a problem that affects every side in every league, City apart.

With a rise in VAT, company and personal taxes and a general tightening of belts I can't see the economic pressures on clubs easing. Even the Albion found that their time in the Championship meant a massive increases in losses, due mainly to wages.

I fear for both Blackpool and Cardiff in the Premier League. I can't see Ridsdale taking it easy on the spending front and fully expect some marque signings that they really can't afford. Similarly, if Blackpool go up, you worry that their wage bill will spiral out of control and having a smaller ground capacity, their ability to repay any major liabilities they rack up will, like Pompey, be non-existent.

I reckon in 5 years time Pompey will be struggling in League One and everyone will be talking about how far they've fallen since that Cup Final vs Chelsea.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I think the punishment should be relegation ONE division. Of course if you were relagated anyway [Saints / Portsmouth] you drop an extra one.

For heaven's sake stop being sensible.

We all know such an answer is too blindingly obvious for those running football.

It's much better to let these teams take a points deduction,pay the debt at 1p in the £ and reinvent themselves as clubs whose players and supporters cannot be blamed for the financial incompetence of long gone owners and boards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here