Votes: 94 84.7%
  • oh shut up you loudmouth PLUM!

Votes: 17 15.3%

• Total voters

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
25pts would be about right. Enough to prevent you getting promoted the following year and also put you in the danger zone for most of the season. The idea of getting relegated is a good one, on top of any relegation you suffer but you would have to be out of administration before the start of the season in order to play in the conference.

Just as an aside, whilst I am no fan of Southampton, at least when they came out of administration they paid all the creditors in full. Bates has stitched up so many people at Leeds and yet still no one knows who exactly owns the ground, which, bearing in mind they were one of the major creditors who would only allow Bates to take over is quite significant.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The problem with relegating is that if that happened, Portsmouth would drop into league 1, leaving L1 with an extra team so how do you rebalance ? do you promote an extra team from L1 and the championship ? It's a sound idea, but somewhat unworkable. What is needed is something that prevents clubs getting into that state in the first place, some sort of league monitor that sees a club starting to spend beyond it's means and acts straight away.

Just as an aside, whilst I am no fan of Southampton, at least when they came out of administration they paid all the creditors in full. Bates has stitched up so many people at Leeds and yet still no one knows who exactly owns the ground, which, bearing in mind they were one of the major creditors who would only allow Bates to take over is quite significant.

I agree with the sentiment, that it's better to pay your creditors in full than not, but to me Southampton are another example of the lack of punishment attached to administration. The buyer (some Swiss millionaire) let them go into administration as he knew that once they did he'd be able to buy them on the cheap, and it didn't materially affect their league position. As a result a myriad of suppliers and other businesses were out of pocket at least temporarily. One suspects that he may have come forward slightly sooner had they been threaten with expulsion from the league...

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Bates has stitched up so many people at Leeds and yet still no one knows who exactly owns the ground, which, bearing in mind they were one of the major creditors who would only allow Bates to take over is quite significant.

Indeed, I gather they even cheated the St John's Ambulance out of money...short of robbing the blind it doesn't get much lower in my opinion (I might add that my mum was in the St John's and did a few duties at the Goldstone, for no reward other than seeing a game of footy on the free). That bloke must have a heart made from stone, I don't think I could sleep at night if I behaved like that.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
They should also be immediately thrown out of the FA cup it they are still in it when they enter administration. It's outrageous that that Portsmouth can be in the FA cup final when they have bought a team that they can't afford in order to get there. Most other clubs at least try to stick to some kind of player budget, at least one that is less than the club's total income, so Portmouth have got an unfair advantage over similar sized clubs that play by the rules.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
The Blue Square leagues would become very cluttered.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I think much larger points deductions would be a bigger detterant and these should be given out in relation to their debt to turnover ratio.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have said many timesd on threads about Leeds Portsmouth etc that I think that they should automatically be placed in the bottom division of the FL or if there already relefated to the division below conference. At long last Barry Hearn speaks some sense but not before time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Everybody must realise that it is wrong for a club to go into administration and then have money pumped into it and within 12 monthd be back in the original division. Efforts should be made to ensure that cannot happen and by relegatinga team 2 divisions means that it will take at least 2 seasons irrespective of how much money is ploughed back into them.

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
i agree i think the stronger the punishment the more unlikely teams are to not gamble... money has ruined the game as we know/knew it which is a shame.. for me wages caps (depending on income/turnover etc) would help and why not a squad limit.. does a team need more then 24 players?? i think some premier league squads have 30/35 players...

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
to play devils advocate, and highlight one of the reasons for the 10pt penalty, if you make the punishment too hard it has a knock on effect for the integrity of the rest of the leauge. if a club knows they are going down, they wont field a competitive side; if it occurs mid way through the season, it may impact results. if you relegate a team two leauges will that cause them to lose so much revenue that they cannot recover and face the same punishment?

you have two choices. a meaningful yet apparently moderate punishment (as they try to achieve with 10 pts) or simple expulsion from the FA. is that too harsh though?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
to play devils advocate, and highlight one of the reasons for the 10pt penalty, if you make the punishment too hard it has a knock on effect for the integrity of the rest of the leauge. if a club knows they are going down, they wont field a competitive side; if it occurs mid way through the season, it may impact results. if you relegate a team two leauges will that cause them to lose so much revenue that they cannot recover and face the same punishment?

you have two choices. a meaningful yet apparently moderate punishment (as they try to achieve with 10 pts) or simple expulsion from the FA. is that too harsh though?

I think that rather than play a weak team clubs will do their utmost to avoid administrationm and only go into it as a very last resort having tried every way possible to avoid it.

Stumpy Tim

There is a middle ground. I would suggest the following:

1. Transfer embargo for 2 seasons (maybe allow limited loans)
2. Club will start the following season the division below where they should.

For example, if Preston had gone into admin in March they would start next season in League 1 & not be able to buy players for 2 seasons.

If Newcastle had gone into Admin in March they would start next season in the Championship & not be able to buy players for 2 seasons

As Pompey did go into Admin they would start next season in League 1 & not be able to buy players for 2 seasons

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Teams that go into administration should not be allowed to get promoted the next season either. I hate teams that are in the shit one minute, and then paying loads to get glory the next.

Cardiff for example, why should the Premier League let them in after the whole pompey shambles

I've posted the same before, I'd probably get rid of the points deduction.

Simply relagate the team automatically and not allow promotion for a couple of years.

Only allow them to qualify for promotion when their finances are in order.

Really we need an independent football authority, financed by the clubs and board members elected by fans. Unlikely to happen though is it.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Probably not instant 2 division relegations, if that happened then the system would be too effed up as half of league one will end up in the premiership, (Imagine live televised matches at stadiums like Withdean :facepalm:) It would piss off the teams, the supporters, the world and so on. In fact the only plus side is seeing Falmer becoming an iconic UK football stadium

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
The authorities really need to be monitoring clubs finances a lot more closely than they are at present, in order to prevent administration in the first place.

No other businesses survive when expenditure far outweieghs there revenue stream.

All transfers need to be sanctioned through the football league/EPL so why are they not taking a clsoer look before agreeing these transfers.

it doesn't take a member of Mensa to realise that a poxy little club like Pompey, could not afford to spend millions on the likes of Defoe, Crouch, Campbell, Muntari etc.

Surely someone could have asked questions as to how these transfers & salaries were actually being financed, and asked to see the books.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here