Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

barnes signs

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Blimey, I could make a fair bit of money here.

I feel fairly CERTAIN we're still going to see a higher quality signing coming in, and it'll be Murray and Barnes taking it in turns partnering them.

Young Mellortron, I am disappointed young man! All this gambling tut tut...mind you , am tempted

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010
Ideal £6.8 million for a flop isn't bad

he's not your flop any more! can't wait for him to bang in the goals when we come down to your place!

seriously though, think it was mentioned as undisclosed. I would guess at 100,000

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Argyle fan here in peace, you all seem rather excited about the signing, he has only been good for you and whether that was because GP got the best out of him or whether he just hit form at the right time I do not know. From an Argyle fans view we are pleased to see him go we need to reduce our squad and he is probably the 5th or 6th best striker on our books. Any idea of the fee that you paid for him ?

Exactly, he also hasn't set the world on fire elsewhere. He is ok but lets not kid ourselves he is the man to fire us to promotion. He is better than the gattings , mc phees , robinsons , holroyds of the world but he isnt a forster / murray yet.

I heard 80k but again this is just rumour

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Exactly, he also hasn't set the world on fire elsewhere. He is ok but lets not kid ourselves he is the man to fire us to promotion. He is better than the gattings , mc phees , robinsons , holroyds of the world but he isnt a forster / murray yet.

£80k would be fair I think.

SuperGreens

Apr 29, 2010

I would be happy with 80K if you can make him work for you then he will be a good signing he had no future with us to be fair there is to much competition for his place. Will be interesting to see how he does, still a young lad and has a lot of room for improvement, give him the right guidance and he will be a championship striker in a couple of years time, only thing is if you get promotion this year then he will be useless next season.

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy
I would be happy with 80K if you can make him work for you then he will be a good signing he had no future with us to be fair there is to much competition for his place. Will be interesting to see how he does, still a young lad and has a lot of room for improvement, give him the right guidance and he will be a championship striker in a couple of years time, only thing is if you get promotion this year then he will be useless next season.

To much competition you say?

You scored 34 goals in 46 matches.Sounds like there isn't much competition as that's a poor goal tally.That's with 8 forwards on your books.

SuperGreens

Apr 29, 2010
To much competition you say?

You scored 34 goals in 46 matches.Sounds like there isn't much competition as that's a poor goal tally.That's with 8 forwards on your books.

That's in the Championship you tool. Last time I checked dropping down a league means that the standards are dropped, Barnes would struggle to get a sniff at the starting 11.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Argyle fan here in peace. Good luck getting Barnes I really don't see him leaving us, he has gone to you to get some first team experience and I thank you for giving him that. If we had stayed up then you may have had a chance of getting him, three of our current strikers look like leaving the club at the end of the season at the moment. Barnes is on form and I can see him being a player that we are not necessarily going to start week in week out, but is going to be an important player for us. We don't need to sell him and, if there is an opportunity to play for Argyle then he will take it.

Today

Argyle fan here in peace, you all seem rather excited about the signing, he has only been good for you and whether that was because GP got the best out of him or whether he just hit form at the right time I do not know. From an Argyle fans view we are pleased to see him go we need to reduce our squad and he is probably the 5th or 6th best striker on our books. Any idea of the fee that you paid for him ?

:wave:

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
busted.jpg

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

Maybe? But that is why Gus has set-up his "Development Squad". I don't really care if he does not get much match time this year. If Gus sees him as a lad worth developing as "one for the future" then that is good enough for me.

SuperGreens

Apr 29, 2010

Today

:wave:

Potentially could have been an important player, at that time we had 4 of our strikers out on loan, majority of them now seem to be staying and we have signed another striker a couple of weeks back. He fell down the pecking order and due to that wouldn't have had any involvement. I have said that I think he would be a good player for you so don't try and belittle me, times change and have done.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Potentially could have been an important player, at that time we had 4 of our strikers out on loan, majority of them now seem to be staying and we have signed another striker a couple of weeks back. He fell down the pecking order and due to that wouldn't have had any involvement. I have said that I think he would be a good player for you so don't try and belittle me, times change and have done.
Eh? You're talking bollocks.

The fact is, you said he was an important player yet now you've lost him he's all of a sudden not very important at all.

The only thing that has changed is that you have signed one crap striker. And those players who were all on loan were I suspect on loan because they weren't good enough. Stop twisting the fact to make yourself feel better, or if you must, can you do it on your board please?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
4 starts 2 goals, 4 sub appearances 2 goals. Total of 4 in eight appearances.

If he keeps that up it shouldn't matter if he starts or comes off the bench.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Initial £60k plus add ons taking it up to £125k max
One of the Plymouth fans who comfirmed he was coming to us has now said 140k? on there board.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Whatever the fee is, with the amount being bandied about (60k to 140k) he's clearly NOT our big name striker. This excites me, as he's a good player in his own right.

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy
I like this comment from there board....

As an aside i've just driven over to Lewes passing as I did Falmer stadium, my god it looks good.

Ashley is joining a club on the up, a club that has toiled very hard over a very long period to maintain a firm link within it's community, to keep a team on the pitch playing decent football while it works to provide the stadia and infrastructure to move itself forward.

Sadly Argyle have missed a trick over the last few years, I wager it won't be long before we're looking up at clubs like Brighton and marvelling at their facilities and the gates they get. We've had a decade of clear blue water ahead of Brighton while they slummed it at the Withdean, we should be streets ahead of them not about to be overtaken.

Can't blame Ashley for wanting the move, he's hardly been loved by club or boo boys at Argyle (i'm surprised Summers returned from Orient for the same reasons TBH). Still feel this one will come to bite us on the harris .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here