Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes charged (updated: misses 7 matches!)

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Additional three game ban meaning seven in total.

He'll be available for the Leeds game and the Wolves game on the last day of the season (and any playoff games should we get there)

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
feel like stirring things up this afternoon! here goes. Barnes was wrong and deserved his punishment, but 7 games not sure???

on this basis the fa view this as much worse than john terry and the racism issue at qpr and almost on a par with surez. playing devils advocate, is that right??

let the abuse begin.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
seven matches out for ashley barnes

hi everyone if u didnt know

Brighton & Hove Albion player given additional suspension after charge found proven
Brighton and Hove Albion midfielder Ashley Barnes has been given an additional three match suspension after his charge was found proven.

Barnes was charged following his side’s game against Bolton Wanderers on Saturday 9 March 2013.

It was alleged that Barnes’s behaviour in relation to the match official, for which the player was dismissed for violent conduct towards the end of the game, constituted an offence whereby the standard punishment that would otherwise apply was clearly insufficient.

Barnes denied the charge and a Regulatory Commission heard the case on Friday morning and found the charge proven.

Barnes is currently serving a four-match suspension following the red card, which includes an additional match for this being his second dismissal of the season.

With the three additional games, he will now miss a total of seven matches.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
What an absolute load of rollocks ... if that was a premiershite game nothing would have happened and the ref would have laughed it off, still can't decide even it were intentional

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So 5 matches after Palace, back for Blackpool at home.

Thought it would be worse actually.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
so ferdinand flattens torres and gets of scott free.............plug makes a half hearted attempt to trip the ref up and gets seven games .............WHAT A LOAD OF SHYTE....!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
feel like stirring things up this afternoon! here goes. Barnes was wrong and deserved his punishment, but 7 games not sure???

on this basis the fa view this as much worse than john terry and the racism issue at qpr and almost on a par with surez. playing devils advocate, is that right??

let the abuse begin.

Clearly assault on a match official (which is what it was) is much more serious than a bit of mutual name calling, especially when the guy was found not-guilty previously in a court of law after a lengthy trial.

Hopefull Ashley will now learn to act as a professional footballer, and let his ability talk for him.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That is ridiculous. Di Canio got eleven match ban for pushing a referee over though.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Barnes charged

Never been a Barnes fan, based on 3 facts, 1- IMHO he is not good enough, 2- his diving and play acting 3- his red mist moments. If this now does not teach him a lesson, then he can go in my book. Rather give someone else a chance.... Yes Gus I know that I do not know anything about football if I can't see what Barnes brings to the team, well in my book, he is good at winning free kicks, tracks back well, but more bad traits in my book.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
How odd.

He denied the charge, but is not allowed a personal hearing. Would be interesting to see what video evidence the FA have apart from the Bolton supporters video.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Seriously, what a complete ****.

I have never been one of those slagging Barnes off on here for his football. He has done fine for us, even though I believe his natural habitat to be top of League One.

But to do that in an important game and cop a seven-game ban, in a promotion run-in, with the record signing striker already out for the season, is madness.

Just dismiss all the comparisons with other incidents, and whether its worse than PL players swearing at the ref, or racism, or anything else. You take responsibility for your own stuff.

An immature idiot whose temper will almost certainly cost him his future at the Amex, plus contracts and moves elsewhere in the future. Time to grow up.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Clearly assault on a match official (which is what it was) is much more serious than a bit of mutual name calling, especially when the guy was found not-guilty previously in a court of law after a lengthy trial.

Hopefull Ashley will now learn to act as a professional footballer, and let his ability talk for him.

Smalltime club syndrome I'm afraid they are always happy to meat out the punishment to some-one like us and let things drag for an eternity with the likes of Chelski Manure the Arse and so on

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
so ferdinand flattens torres and gets of scott free.............plug makes a half hearted attempt to trip the ref up and gets seven games .............WHAT A LOAD OF SHYTE....!

The relative merits of the actions of a footballer on another, and an assault on a match official, and clearly two very different things. Football needs to take a note of how rugby players respect match officials, and in fairness it tends to be returned in the way rugby refs speak to players.

What type of example does Poyet set to young players with his constant slagging-off of refs, and blaming them every time something goes wrong. Football refs should be given more respect - well except from us fans!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

half hearted attempt to trip the nork up..........7 games = bollocks , and i would say pretty much unprecedented.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Additional three game ban meaning seven in total.

He'll be available for the Leeds game and the Wolves game on the last day of the season (and any playoff games should we get there)

He'll be available from the Blackpool game as he's already served 1 game of his ban (the game away to Barnsley).

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

let the abuse begin.

Haven't they given him a 3 game ban? He was due the 4 as a consequence of the sending off ... the FA have added 3 because of the nature of the incident. Maybe academic but I read it as 3

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here