Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes charged (updated: misses 7 matches!)

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I doubt the FA are going to base their decision on some shitty cameraphone video they've seen on you tube.Bolton, just like any other club , will have high quality footage of the whole game - most likely from several different angles. I've got a feeling that this and the refs report may have more bearing on Barnes' punishment.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Having seen the Bolton fan video, it seems very inconclusive to me. I find the celebratory vitriol directed at Barnes on this thread pretty distasteful considering what a decent job he has done for us over his tenure here. I would definitely like to hear his side of the story. If he did deliberately attempt to trip the referee then I am in no way going to defend such petulant behaviour, but it still doesn't merit the personal abuse on this thread.

Honestly a minority of our support this week has disappointed me greatly, calling for the manager's head after two defeats, and the continuing vilification of one of our players.

Unfortunately, it's the standard lynch-mob reaction of a motley crew whose postings regularly place them on a broad spectrum ranging from simply insecure to alarmingly sociopathic (with a fair bit of dim wittedness thrown in for good measure).

Your response to their antics is restrained, measured and considerate.

I however think they're a bunch of sad gits.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Having seen the Bolton fan video, it seems very inconclusive to me. I find the celebratory vitriol directed at Barnes on this thread pretty distasteful considering what a decent job he has done for us over his tenure here. I would definitely like to hear his side of the story. If he did deliberately attempt to trip the referee then I am in no way going to defend such petulant behaviour, but it still doesn't merit the personal abuse on this thread.

Honestly a minority of our support this week has disappointed me greatly, calling for the manager's head after two defeats, and the continuing vilification of one of our players.

There are a few but for the most part the comments haven't been abusive and nor is he being vilified imo

I'm not one of the Barnes haters, not saying though that I have't remarked on his behaviour in the past. However to miss a minimum of 7 games at this stage of the season when we are short of strikers and making our last push for a play off place for such behaviour is deserving of criticism. He's always at it, tracking back after the ref's, getting in their faces and lunging out with retaliatory acts. He's supposed to be a professional and his lack of discipline has let everyone down.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
I doubt the FA are going to base their decision on some shitty cameraphone video they've seen on you tube.Bolton, just like any other club , will have high quality footage of the whole game - most likely from several different angles. I've got a feeling that this and the refs report may have more bearing on Barnes' punishment.

Agree can not see them using a camera footage from a phone as these can be easily edited.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
There are a few but for the most part the comments haven't been abusive and nor is he being vilified imo

I'm not one of the Barnes haters, not saying though that I have't remarked on his behaviour in the past. However to miss a minimum of 7 games at this stage of the season when we are short of strikers and making our last push for a play off place for such behaviour is deserving of criticism. He's always at it, tracking back after the ref's, getting in their faces and lunging out with retaliatory acts. He's supposed to be a professional and his lack of discipline has let everyone down.

Toally agree. I like Barnes, I can see the work he puts in on a good day. He was immense against Arsenal and was the person along with CMS that I credit with turning the Huddersfield game into a romp rather than a wimpering 1-1. However he has always seemed prone to stupid acts on the pitch now and again, it's gonna far too far this time and he deserves to be shot at. I hope the experience will be one he learns from and becomes a better player because of. Sadly I doubt we will see him in an Albion shirt until 2013/2014 season!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Fair comment. I am not going to defend Barnes if he did indeed trip or attempt to trip the ref (I have yet to be convinced either way). I agree it was utterly irresponsible. However I do take issue with the delight that some posters have taken in his demise.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Fair comment. I am not going to defend Barnes if he did indeed trip or attempt to trip the ref (I have yet to be convinced either way). I agree it was utterly irresponsible. However I do take issue with the delight that some posters have taken in his demise.

this
I also think that the sort of out and out abuse Barnes has had on here is obsessive, I JUST HOPE HE DOES NOT READ THIS.
it does make me wonder if Murray used to read NSC although the abuse he used to get was not quite so bad,and I hope it did not make up his mind to move on.
can someone on here tell me why do some abuse players so much
we are 7th with a good chance of getting to the play-offs still, and yet some still want to find something or someone to have a go at is it exactly that we are 7th with that chance and they get excited about it or is it IMHO that they just like to have a go at anyone in the blue and white stripes because they can.
I can understand people having a go if the person is shite but we don't have any in our team that you might put in that category,
there are some who are young and a little immature or maybe just not up to it on the day but who of us have not had days like that or behaved in an immature way when young and poor old Gus has to get them all playing well at the same time

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

I agree, regardless of what anyone may think of his ability to be delighted at his loss is pretty sick. No doubt in my mind we're worse off without him

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Barnes charged

Ashley Barnes will be punished. Fine from the club, extended suspension from the FA and possibly a second fine.

He will not be the managements teams good books.

He can't feel great, he did something stupid at a time when we are desperate for forwards.

I agree some keyboard warriors seem to have no idea on how you support the team.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
You hate players from the team you support?

It's not just Barnes who needs the anger management. Disloyal and spiteful Moggy apparently does too.

Why is it wrong to dislike someone from the club?
Should I not dislike/hate archer and belotti either?
I think Barnes is an awful player with as much talent as a bowl of diarrhoea, and he, single handedly could have put pay to our playoff chances, so as a fan and season ticket holder, I'm entitled to my view and yes, I still hate him

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012
Can you just imagine the meltdown on here if we were in a relegation fight?

I do think some would actually keel over at their keyboard.

I think Barnes is an awful player with as much talent as a bowl of diarrhoea, and he, single handedly could have put pay to our playoff chances, so as a fan and season ticket holder, I'm entitled to my view and yes, I still hate him

If he has as much talent as you suggest how can he single handedly put paid to our play off chances - totally irrational and illogical.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Barnes charged

If your opinion of Barnes is that bad then surely the fact that he will be suspended will have no bearing on our playoff chances.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Of course you are entitled to your view, but in my mind, that level of hatred and vitriol towards your own team doesn't make you much of a 'supporter'.

Comparing Barnes to Bellotti and Archer is completely ridiculous.

zoogull

zoogull
May 29, 2008
Herstmonceux
Fans always get on the backs of players who either aren't playing well or are past their sell by date.

Barnes has done a job for us in the past, but I don't think he's up to the job now, which is to get us into the playoffs.

The fact remains, however, that his actions in getting sent off for the second time this season, are not in the best interests of the club, and I support Brighton and Hove Albion, not Ashley Barnes.

So I won't slag him off personally, but I hope Gus gets rid and brings in someone who will act in the best interests of the team.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think Barnes is an awful player with as much talent as a bowl of diarrhoea, and he, single handedly could have put pay to our playoff chances

This makes no sense whatsoever. If he is talentless, why will his absence cost us a place in the play-offs?

I must admit though, he was AWFUL against Arsenal, wasn't he?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here