Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes and Murray the solution: if it ain't broke don't fix it

Jan 14, 2008
Windsor ontario
This is correct! Let's face it however much we want to think we know how to organise this team (and it's great fun doing so) none of us have the technical nouse that Gus obviously has. For instance there was some whinging on another thread today stating that Noone should have been used later on in the game to 'perk things up a bit' after we had apparently done the business. At the time and at 1-0 down I said to myself fair comment. Gus obviously thought differently, gave Noone a run out to get in the swing of things and THEN pulled the masterstroke. He's a clever manager and I like that.

Correct - Its sooo refreshing to have a manager that is tactically astute, knows when and how to make changes to influence the game. He's also got the whole team capable of playing 3/4 formations depending on the score and time of the match, if necessary.

When is the last time we've had a manager this good.....never:yahoo:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
As far as I'm aware Gus mentioned he was looking to make a couple of signings, one of which would be someone special, though wasn't overly confident. It seems to have been taken by some as a special striker. Some people think it might be Lualua

The only thing I remember seeing from Gus was him saying he wanted to sign a left winger & a striker & if he got the players he wanted he might have enough money left to sign a special player who can unlock defences, I took that to mean an extended loan deal for LuaLua.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think it is that straightforward. Barnes had been quite poor and looked like he needed a break. I think it is unfair to attribute our slide in form to Chris Wood. I would say it had more to do with missing LuaLua and having to change our plans/lack of attacking options on the bench.

Correct.

Barnes had a few good games but went right off the boil, and I bet a few of those praising him loudly on here could be found on the earlier threads slagging him off for his profligacy, if you look closely enough. It was fair enough to put him on the bench for a bit. Likewise, Murray hasn't been brilliant in every game, good though he is, consistency has always been his issue.

Suddenly they both score in consecutive games and people are calling for them to be permanently paired up again. Chris Wood has played his part, Murray is on fire, and Barnes seems to have recovered some of his confidence.

I'm sure we will sign another striker, but in the meantime it's far too simplistic to say "keep B & M together & we'll be promoted", as it can be horses for courses in this division.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
remember everyone saying how barnes was poor a few weeks go. now he has won us 3 points everyones licking his arse. i have always rated barnes and the fact hes so young think we have a great player.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Its no coincidence that Murray is bang on form when up top with Wood. Murray becomes the creator when Barnes is up top (not a bad thing because it took us to the top of the league) but when Wood plays Murray becomes the main striker feeding of Wood and it has worked bloody well so far. We are lucky to have all 3

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
Its no coincidence that Murray is bang on form when up top with Wood. Murray becomes the creator when Barnes is up top (not a bad thing because it took us to the top of the league) but when Wood plays Murray becomes the main striker feeding of Wood and it has worked bloody well so far. We are lucky to have all 3

Spot on ,also think gus has played his ace here with the special striker rumours got all 3 on fire certainly worked, think abit of tony bloom poker playing has also done the trick,my how nsc has been sucked in all for the good of the ream of course ,well done boys it worked:smokin:

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Wood played really well when he came on. He offers something different and has a great touch for such a big lad. Although Bares will take all the headlines i think it was Wood who really made the difference.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I think a defence would hate playing against Murray and Wood, more than Murray and Barnes - but bringing Barnes off the bench is a superb option

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
- Murray & Barnes were awesome in our good run
- Wood came into side and our form slid
- Barnes comes on today and we win again

Shouldn't we just start with Barnes & Murray and forget about Wood. Can't help thinking that Gus feels obliged to play him but lets just leave him on the bench instead

Great result today you super seagulls!

Interesting theory - so how many would we have scored against Orient if Barnes had played instead of Wood in our 5-0 win???

Didn't Barnes play out wide when he came on? - if so should he continue to play there? didn't wood come on too (how many has Murray scored playing alongside Wood?)

Did KLL getting injured have no influence on our form then?

Wood had does well imo and deserves more credit, he has formed a good partnership with Murray and worth keeping

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here