Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes and Murray the solution: if it ain't broke don't fix it

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Have we forgotten Saturday already?

Probably Wood's best game, linked up with Murray well .We won 5-0 I seem to recall. There's not that much difference between Wood and Barnes probably, but if we have them both competing and bringing the best out of each other that's not a bad thing. Barnes form had gone to pot, that's why he lost his place (if you remember it was Murray that initally lost his place to Wood).

I personally think we should just leave Gus to it, seems to have done ok so far.

Yup and yup.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wouldn't say Exeter are average, particuarly at home !!, absolutely delighted to snatch the win.Looks like us and the Saints could be about to pull away...
We already have "pulled away". Southampton are still looking over their shoulders. We're not.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I don't think that Wood is any better than Barnes or Sandaza and certainly doesn't work as well ith Murray as Barnes does.

I think we should send Wood back and look elsewhere for a goal poacher, someone in the mould of Lita who is fast and direct and pops up with goals when you put the balls into the right areas. But we may well have our 20 goal man in Murray and/or Barnes

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
But Barnes is scoring

He hadn't scored for a while though...

Ashley Barnes - Brighton - details and stats | soccerbase.com

He hadn't scored in 8 appearances since his brace at the start of November and had scored only 4 in 15 appearances if you include those goals.

Besides, we have a fairly decent record with Wood playing, considering the opposition we have faced of late.

20-11-2010 Football League One Brighton 2-2 Bristol R 1
23-11-2010 Football League One Southampton 0-0 Brighton 0
11-12-2010 Football League One Huddersfield 2-1 Brighton 0
29-12-2010 Football League One Brighton 1-1 Charlton 0
01-01-2011 Football League One Brighton 5-0 Leyton Orient 0
03-01-2011 Football League One Exeter 1-2 Brighton 0

I make that P6 W2 D3 L1

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Gus has just said Wood is staying. I for one think he has a lot to offer us and will prove both me and Gus right when we say he has a lot of potential.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Barnes and Murray needed 12 games together before Murray reached 5 goals. (19 goals by the team, average of 1.58 per game)
Wood and Murray needed 6 games together before Murray reached 5 goals. (11 team goals, average of 1.83 per game)

Is it so obvious that Murray and Barnes are the best pairing?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Murray/Barnes works - 20 goals between them this season. Whatever their respective faults and dips in form, they're still on track for 40 between them. I think Wood is a better option off the bench, like Sandaza, and keep Murray/Barnes as the first choice pairing. If he doesn't extend the loan - bring in another striker capable of challenging Murray/Barnes for a starting spot. The 25-goal a season man isn't really necessary in my mind if your first choice partnership scores 35-40 between them and players like Bennett/LuaLua/Noone/Sparrow chip in with 20 between them.

I think Gus also has some very tough decisions to make at the end of the season. Midfield is absurdly competitive at the moment, which is great for the club and a far better problem to have than not enough quality players for a position, but-

Wingers - Bennett, Noone, Baz, Smith;
Defensive Midfield - Navarro, Kishishev, Bridcutt;
Attacking Midfield - Dicker, Sparrow, Battipiedi, Caskey.

I'd suggest several of those will go at the end of the season if he wants to play 442 (which he's been quoted as saying he prefers), possibly only two or three depending on which division we're in and thus how many players Gus wants in his squad. Having said he wants two for each position he's ok at the moment with Navarro out so Kish/Bridcutt alternate, and you feel Dicker/Sparrow as the more attack-minded centre mid works. Caskey is a project and unlikely to get huge game time in the short term. Ditto Battipiedi/Baz, who've had a couple of starts but not exactly bedded in. I feel if we do go up he might let them go (although I think both have showed moments of genuine quality without absolutely convincing). If Kish retires then Navarro could/should be his natural replacement as they're both similar players. Smith always seems to make an impact and has maybe been a bit hard done by given his contribution in limited game time and you get the feeling he doesn't fit in Gus' lomg-term plans. If he goes too then you're left with:

Bennett, Noone, Navarro, Bridcutt, Dicker, Sparrow, Caskey.

Two for each position, plus a youngster in the 'development squad' where he may play the odd game. I reckon that's a half decent Championship midfield. Enough quality there without doubt to keep us afloat. Bring in maybe one more face, a versatile utility man who can play across the park (think someone like Bennett, or Darren Currie - NOT actually Currie, but just a Championship-quality player with relative attributes). But then what do I know? Maybe Dicker won't get the deal he blatantly deserves. Who knows how Gus' mind works. Its part of the enigma and why we love him so...

This is correct! Let's face it however much we want to think we know how to organise this team (and it's great fun doing so) none of us have the technical nouse that Gus obviously has. For instance there was some whinging on another thread today stating that Noone should have been used later on in the game to 'perk things up a bit' after we had apparently done the business. At the time and at 1-0 down I said to myself fair comment. Gus obviously thought differently, gave Noone a run out to get in the swing of things and THEN pulled the masterstroke. He's a clever manager and I like that.
I personally think we should just leave Gus to it, seems to have done ok so far.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Have we forgotten Saturday already?

Probably Wood's best game, linked up with Murray well .We won 5-0 I seem to recall

Wood was pretty decent against Charlton also.........

Barnes' confidence was on the wane, did him / the team good to have a break. Someone put up the stat of 9 goals scored, but how many COULD he have got by now if he had taken his numerous chances this year?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Wood was pretty decent against Charlton also.........

Barnes' confidence was on the wane, did him / the team good to have a break. Someone put up the stat of 9 goals scored, but how many COULD he have got by now if he had taken his numerous chances this year?

Completely irrelevant how many he could have got, he has 9 and I think, as someone posted on here a few weeks ago, has the best shots to shots on target ratio of any of our strikers. Doesn't really matter how many he misses because all strikers miss chances, matters more how many he puts in the back of the net!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Gus has just said Wood is staying. I for one think he has a lot to offer us and will prove both me and Gus right when we say he has a lot of potential.

Wood gives us different things to Murray and Barnes. He's a good option to have in the squad, but Gus seemed to hint that he's been allowed to stay because he will get selected.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
So I take it the special stiker is now not happening if wood is staying ?

Where did this stuff about a special striker come from? Was it from the club or something made up on here?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Where did this stuff about a special striker come from? Was it from the club or something made up on here?

As far as I'm aware Gus mentioned he was looking to make a couple of signings, one of which would be someone special, though wasn't overly confident. It seems to have been taken by some as a special striker. Some people think it might be Lualua

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here