Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barca vs. Arsenal

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Soft? It was f***ing ludicrous. One second between the ref blowing and van Persie shooting. Shocking decision.

I'm not sure really, bookings like that happen every week, he claimed he couldn't hear the whistle but all the Barca players seemed to hear every time they were offside.

If you want to see ludicrous referring I suggest you look at Howard Webb in the other match, Shaktar v Roma. Roma player elbowed Srna in the head in the penalty area, no red card, no penalty, booked Srna for simulation

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If Arsenal fail to win anything this season, Wenger's position should be brought into question. Another failure this time around and it'll be six years without a single trophy, which is ludicrous for any club of that size.

The club is only that big because of Wenger though.

Have a little look at the timeline if arsenal league results. It was mid table Results, going nowhere but with good players.

Wenger takes over. Wins the double in no time, brings names such as Henry, Anelka, Vieira, Petit for pittance.

He has continuously kept Arsenal IN BUDGET when they are paying off a PHENOMENAL stadium (which they would not have if they wernt achieving under Wenger in the first place).

Yes, winning things would be the final brilliant piece but when you think of the odds of winning things it's easy to miss out on.

The league is the only definition of who is the best.
You can't fluke a league title. You can fluke a cup. Arsenal are 3 points behind, with a game in hand. Clearly they are AT LEAST the second best football team in the WHOLE country. To me that's not a sackable offence.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Anyone who thinks Arsenal should sack Wenger is special.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm not sure really, bookings like that happen every week, he claimed he couldn't hear the whistle but all the Barca players seemed to hear every time they were offside.

But thats because the barca fans don't whistle when the barca team attack. When arsenal attacked it was a
Deafening whistle. If he had stopped every time he heard a whistle he wouldn't have moved.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Obviously I haven't played in front of 90,000 people making a hellofalot of noise, but I don't believe he didn't hear the whistle. However, I also think he was probably already too far into the "thought" of shooting, and the time between the two occurring was too small to warrant a booking.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
hats off to arsenal,another display of piss poor refereeing, playing in front of 90 odd thousand screaming spanioladistadors , i don't think they disgraced themselves at all , van persies' sending off was rediculous when you think that in the first half abidal was not punished for grabbing an opposing player by the throat.........lost a bit if respect for barca,undoubtedly a class team but what a bunch of whingeing,whining twatts.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
"a bunch of whingeing, whining twatts"?

Care to offer some actual evidence for that? I'm guessing you never watch La Liga, because if you did, you'd see Messi, Iniesta and Xavi getting kicked and hammered week in and out and rarely doing anything more than getting up and getting on with the game.

Seems to be Wenger who's doing 99pc of the whingeing. Seems to think Arsenal were robbed even though, according to OPTA, this is the first time since they started analysing CL games nearly 10 years ago that any team has had zero attempts on goal in a match.

This Barca side is very special, and if they'd gone out last night it would have been a crime against football. Hope they stuff Man U next, Chelsea in the semis and then Madrid in the Final.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
"a bunch of whingeing, whining twatts"?

Care to offer some actual evidence for that? I'm guessing you never watch La Liga, because if you did, you'd see Messi, Iniesta and Xavi getting kicked and hammered week in and out and rarely doing anything more than getting up and getting on with the game.

Seems to be Wenger who's doing 99pc of the whingeing. Seems to think Arsenal were robbed even though, according to OPTA, this is the first time since they started analysing CL games nearly 10 years ago that any team has had zero attempts on goal in a match.

This Barca side is very special, and if they'd gone out last night it would have been a crime against football. Hope they stuff Man U next, Chelsea in the semis and then Madrid in the Final.

Spot on.

Arsenal were timewasting from very early on - several times guilty of playacting.

Messi gets kicked up in the air every time he plays yet rarely whinges - quite unlike Van Persie or Fabregas.

As for Wenger, his attitude towards referees is consistently appalling and, sadly, only football tolerates such behaviour.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
oh do excuse me but as an Englishman i do sometimes wear my heart on my sleeve(and sometimes my dinner) and no i don't bother with La Liga ....:hilton:

i think arsenal got shafted ,in more ways than one.......not here for an argument though...???

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Sending off for kicking ball away seemed harsh. Not a fan of the team or player in question but not convinced he heard whistle and half a second is not long enough.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
oh do excuse me but as an Englishman i do sometimes wear my heart on my sleeve(and sometimes my dinner) and no i don't bother with La Liga ....:hilton:

i think arsenal got shafted ,in more ways than one.......not here for an argument though...???

No need to argue about it no, but weren't Barca shafted at the Emirates? Messi having a goal wrongly disallowed

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If Arsenal fail to win anything this season, Wenger's position should be brought into question. Another failure this time around and it'll be six years without a single trophy, which is ludicrous for any club of that size.

As for last night, I agree that the yellow for kicking the ball away was ridiculous, but if he hadn't got himself booked in the first half it would have been a moot point. Barcelona had more shots on their own goal (by virtue of the own goal) than Arsenal had on it anyway, so I'm not too sure that it would have made a lot of difference if it had stayed 11 vs 11.

The part about the booking is spot on, it takes two yellows to make a red and VP got a stupid one in the first half, Wenger can bang on about the silly yellow all he wants but if VP showed self control he wouldnt have been sent off.

I thought Arsenal did well, considering they went there to defend a lead they were doing it with ease until Fabs comical back hill let them in, how many chances did Barca have in the first half, not many.

Barca had all of the ball but could finish them off, Arsenal should have gone through after that woeful miss.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
All the team in Spain are full of players who dive, cheat, pull out the imaginary yellow card, etc. It's in their culture. To be perfectly frank they need to man the f*** up and get on with it instead of spending the entire game rolling around in the floor pretending to be hurt.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
All the team in Spain are full of players who dive, cheat, pull out the imaginary yellow card, etc. It's in their culture. To be perfectly frank they need to man the f*** up and get on with it instead of spending the entire game rolling around in the floor pretending to be hurt.

Unlike The British leagues?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here