Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barca v Inter

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Not really. As I just posted, if any part of your body with which you can score is ahead of the defenders, you are offside. Looking at that replay, his backside (a part of his body with which it is legal to score) was ahead of the defenders foot. It was off side.

I agree with your interpretation of the law, but the replay they just showed clearly had his backside bang on in line with muntari's foot - they even drew the line!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I enjoyed that. I thought it was a master class in defending and say what you like about Mourinho, he's a winner. He wants to come back to English football and he'll liven the PL up.

:thumbsup:

I'd love to see him back in England. He was a breath of fresh air when he first arrived.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
It was definitely disallowed for handball.

I can think of nothing worse than seeing Mourinho back in England. His style of football is terrible. He should stay in Italy, it's a perfect match. A horrible man who ays horrible football.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I can think of nothing worse than seeing Mourinho back in England. His style of football is terrible. He should stay in Italy, it's a perfect match. A horrible man who ays horrible football.

Damm straight, although someone like Bolton would like his way of football. If he does go to Madrid don't think he would last 2 seasons with football like that

Oct 25, 2003
jose mourinho is the greatest person in football

the premier league is KIDDING itself if it thinks it's worth ANYTHING without the silver fox

i really hope he comes back asa-f***ing-p

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
"Revenge is a dish best served to 10 men" - WTF!!! Shoot the lot of them now please. Not only is it a shit shit shit and then even more shit thing to say he's even got it the wrong way round? surely to use this awful analogy then the revenge has been served to 11 men, by ten!

and relax.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
You lot are hilarious. Mourinho plays decent football, not long ball or short passing, just a mix. You can't seriously take this game as an example.

Great manager, great tactician. Great display by Inter. Shame to see all the Barca bashers on here throwing their toys out the pram. :nono:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Raising a hand to he face is a yellow or red, but he raised his arm to protect his area, the player went into it and then made a big deal over the contact, without such play acting most referees would not bother with a card because the player ran into the outstretched arm, and there was barely any contact.

Looking at the replay they just showed - any part of your body you can score with closer to the goal than all bar one opposing player = offside. His backside was ahead of the defenders foot, and since you can score with your bum, he was, according to the rules offside.

And if your argument against the offside was that the linesman should have given it, then we can't blame players for any rule infringement, we have to blame the officials, which is frankly ridiculous. They were offside, and accepted the goal that came from it.

The barca player's hand made contact with the ball. According to the laws of the game it has to be deliberate, but generally it is accepted that is an advantage is gained it is frequently given. I'd say a goal would be a mighty gained advantage from that, wouldn't you?

So let me get this straight, players are meant to KNOW when they're offside, despite concerntrating on the ball, and then stop play themselves and give the other team a freekick, if not they're cheats?

Football would be a great game if you were in charge

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I can think of nothing worse than seeing Mourinho back in England. His style of football is terrible.

His team scored as many goals against Barca as Arsenal did - and most people reckon that Arsenal is the FLAIREST of the PL teams. His teams attack when they have to and defend when they have to - it's a pretty good formula if you ask me.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I agree with your interpretation of the law, but the replay they just showed clearly had his backside bang on in line with muntari's foot - they even drew the line!

SDC10343.jpg

Pique's bum overhangs the left side of the yellow line, neither inter player's foot makes it to the left edge of the yellow line.

The exact passage from the law book regarding interpreting the law:

In the context of Law 11 – Offside, the following definitions apply:
• “nearer to his opponents’ goal line” means that any part of a player’s
head, body or feet is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the
ball and the second-last opponent
. The arms are not included in this
definition
• “interfering with play” means playing or touching the ball passed or
touched by a team-mate
• “interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent
from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing
the opponent’s line of vision or movements or making a gesture or
movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an
opponent
• “gaining an advantage by being in that position” means playing a ball
that rebounds to him off a goalpost or the crossbar having been in an
offside position or playing a ball that rebounds to him off an opponent
having been in an offside position

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
SDC10343.jpg

Pique's but overhangs the left side of the yellow line, neither inter player's foot makes it to the left edge of the yellow line.

really quite boring ain't you

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Do you really want to see all those dirty, diving, timewasting, gamesmanship antics in England. We have a bit of it at the moment but some of the shit Chelsea used to pull was shocking. Lucio spent more time on the floor for no reason than standing up tonight and I am sure that was under the direct instruction of Mourinho. The press only want him back because he gives them good column inches because he is always spouting some self obssessed rubbish. Anyone who appreciates good football can not appreciate his approach to the game.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
SDC10343.jpg

Pique's bum overhangs the left side of the yellow line, neither inter player's foot makes it to the left edge of the yellow line.

Fair enough. Once again, I agree with your interpretation of the law, quite why you feel the need to look up and quote the exact rule is beyond me.

But looking at that, I can see that he is slightly off. Although barely visible to the naked eye, benefit of the doubt etc...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Interesting STAT FACT:

Over the two legs Barcelona completed 999 more passes than Inter!

Fancy that

Another interesting statistic is that Inter scored 33% more goals than Barca over the two legs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here