Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Banter"

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Something unfunny, but not necessarily abuse.

Are you on Twitter? You could change your name to Brian BANT-ana, to let everybody know in advance how funny & cutting edge you're going to be.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
How ironic that the stuffed shirts in this thread are now all resorting to shit puns.

You can almost hear them going through every word that rhymes with the word 'banter'. Oh how we laughed.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
What does melt actually mean?

The fact this question was asked 3 pages ago and no one has replied amuses me. Presumably those that use it don't know It's meaning?

I remember hearing it 16 years ago at school and never understanding what it meant but cringing at how shit it sounded.

The fact It's still in use and by humans older than 15 is disturbing.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
The fact this question was asked 3 pages ago and no one has replied amuses me. Presumably those that use it don't know It's meaning?

I remember hearing it 16 years ago at school and never understanding what it meant but cringing at how shit it sounded.

The fact It's still in use and by humans older than 15 is disturbing.

I always thought it meant a boring person or dullard.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Eh? Have we really got to the point where we try to sub-categorise wit into distinct genres and some are allowed and others aren't? Really? If so can I make a request to ban all fish puns?

I HATE fish puns. Tedious, repetitive, shit...just shit. I hate them so much it makes me angry. People who make fish puns aren't funny, they're people who think they're funny but aren't. Give me offensive 'banter' over shit fish puns any day.

There's no plaice for fish puns :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Eh? Have we really got to the point where we try to sub-categorise wit into distinct genres and some are allowed and others aren't? Really? If so can I make a request to ban all fish puns?

I HATE fish puns. Tedious, repetitive, shit...just shit. I hate them so much it makes me angry. People who make fish puns aren't funny, they're people who think they're funny but aren't. Give me offensive 'banter' over shit fish puns any day.

There's no plaice for fish puns.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I haven't really come across this updated use of the word banter.

People using the word 'brigade' for people who don't share their opinions should have a look at themselves though.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
But if you really want a moral crusade then start on the fish puns. That's a real affront to humour.

Does anyone actually post a fish pun thinking it's funny? I get the impression most our looking to post the most cringe worthy shittiest one they can think of.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Banter is part of British humour, hopefully it's not the next thing on the hit list of the "lets get offended by everything" brigade.

If you haven't got anyone that you're comfortable doing a bit of banter with then you probably haven't got any real friends, and you need to lighten up from your serious, bitter and stressful life before it sends you to an early grave. Sorry to break this to you all.

that's the true meaning of banter. I think everyone here is talking about how the word is being used these days by some. Much like the word 'Legend' is used nowadays.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
As a word I hate it, it's just become common language now days and it annoys me.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
People seem to be talking at cross purposes here:

There are those sticking up for banter, cos as we all know, it is funny.

and then there are those who are tired of a recent use of phrases such as 'It's only banter' by unfunny twats who wouldn't know a good bit of banter if it slapped them in the face.

I'm in both camps. :moo:

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
Poor word, but in it's defence there is nothing like a mid afternoon 'shant and bant' after a game of 11 a side on a Sunday.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I haven't really come across this updated use of the word banter.

People using the word 'brigade' for people who don't share their opinions should have a look at themselves though.

good point!

I hate the Brigade Brigade.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here