Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Banter"

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Banter is part of British humour, hopefully it's not the next thing on the hit list of the "lets get offended by everything" brigade.

If you haven't got anyone that you're comfortable doing a bit of banter with then you probably haven't got any real friends, and you need to lighten up from your serious, bitter and stressful life before it sends you to an early grave. Sorry to break this to you all.

Spot on sir,.... I recently retired from playing 30 odd years of rugby, its a culture that is awash with banter, it breeds familiarity, teamwork and tolerance...... there are lines not to cross like anything in life, but without it my work and social life would be dull and empty, long may it continue, long may the PC brigade have genital warts.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
"Banter " is just an excuse for a bunch of wet wipes who do not have the intelligence or wit to put their point across in a civilised manner or have the where with all to win any argument without resorting to insults and they then use the " banter " card. Many of these types of people can be found on here.
You being a prime example.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Spot on sir,.... I recently retired from playing 30 odd years of rugby, its a culture that is awash with banter, it breeds familiarity, teamwork and tolerance...... there are lines not to cross like anything in life, but without it my work and social life would be dull and empty, long may it continue, long may the PC brigade have genital warts.

Rugby Banter. I'm all for people having whatever fun they want if it harms no-one so good for you. But Rugby banter is my all time nightmare. It's not about PC in the slightest it's just cringeworthy but if it doesn't get in my way, crack on.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

To be fair you're just describing humour and relationship between friends which is completely correct.

This thread clearly states it hates the word and a meaning which has become attached to it recently. I don't think ANYONE is suggesting they hate HUMOUR.

The 'older' generation seem to be kicking up because 'banter' was a word with no shit connotations attached to it years ago. However, now, it has a RUBBISH meaning.

They are completely different things.

Again, to clarify. Humour between friends is BRILLIANT. The WORD banter is RUBBISH.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
YouTube

Watch the whole thing cos it's funny as f***. But specifically from 3 minutes to 3 minutes 20 seconds, and THAT is the worst use of the word banter.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Anyone who says that banter is not funny or it's the preserve of mindless morons is talking out of their arse. You wouldn't know humour if it slapped you in the face. Terrace banter can be hilarious.

Case in point 1: Man City fans to that foreign player called Hulk "you're not incredible". Simple but genius.

Case in point 2: Celtic fans to bi-polar Rangers keeper, Andy Goram "there's only 2 Andy Goram's"

That's banter, the latter especially is incredibly cruel but funny as f***.

Long may terrace banter continue.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Nothing wrong with banter, and anyone who says otherwise is a humourless tosspot who revels in our modern, intolerant society and stares disapprovingly down their pinched noses at any statement that isn't anodyne, boring and bland. Get a life you sad morons.

That's just a bit of banter btw, no offence meant!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Anyone who says that banter is not funny or it's the preserve of mindless morons is talking out of their arse. You wouldn't know humour if it slapped you in the face. Terrace banter can be hilarious.

Case in point 1: Man City fans to that foreign player called Hulk "you're not incredible". Simple but genius.

Case in point 2: Celtic fans to bi-polar Rangers keeper, Andy Goram "there's only 2 Andy Goram's"

That's entirely reasonable.

What is lame, however, is the hijacking of the word banter by (mainly) teenage males when they want to spout gratuitous abuse at somebody and then to be able to hide pathetically behind "it's only banter innit".

As a general rule, I find that if somebody has the word "banter" (or some such badly spelled derivative) in their Twitter profile, they are inevitably going to be neither funny nor worth reading.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
'Banter' is a much misused word. The bean-counting threads comparing Brighton and Crystal Palace attendances are often justified on the basis of being 'banter' despite the complete absence of any attempt at wit or humour. It's time to reclaim the word.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

That's HUMOUR, and no one is questioning that.

It's the cringeworthy use of the word 'banter' to justify something which, generally, is hideously unfunny.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
That's entirely reasonable.

What is lame, however, is the hijacking of the word banter by (mainly) teenage males when they want to spout gratuitous abuse at somebody and then to be able to hide pathetically behind "it's only banter innit".

As a general rule, I find that if somebody has the word "banter" (or some such badly spelled derivative) in their Twitter profile, they are inevitably going to be neither funny nor worth reading.

Which is exactly what this thread is about.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Didn't someone post on here about someone calling themself the 'The Archbishop of Banterberry'

That's so bad its brilliant.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
That's HUMOUR, and no one is questioning that.

It's the cringeworthy use of the word 'banter' to justify something which, generally, is hideously unfunny.
Then its not banter then is it, its abuse or worse.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Eh? Have we really got to the point where we try to sub-categorise wit into distinct genres and some are allowed and others aren't? Really? If so can I make a request to ban all fish puns?

I HATE fish puns. Tedious, repetitive, shit...just shit. I hate them so much it makes me angry. People who make fish puns aren't funny, they're people who think they're funny but aren't. Give me offensive 'banter' over shit fish puns any day.

As for 'reclaiming' banter...you what? Whose is it to own? We can't even agree what is and isn't banter yet there's already a moral crusade to rescue it from those rough boys that you don't like standing next to at the football.

Banter schmanter. Let people say what they want and if you don't like it then tell them. Anything else is just trying to create yet another problem that doesn't really exist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here