Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Banter"

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Banter is okay if it's genuinely funny. When thick people say something personal and when they get told to f*** off or get the same back protest banter. I rarely call it banter though, that reminds me of homosexual rugby players downing pints of their friends piss with their foreskin pulled over their head an dateraping women. Anyone using the word Bantz gets a slap.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Banter is part of British humour, hopefully it's not the next thing on the hit list of the "lets get offended by everything" brigade.

If you haven't got anyone that you're comfortable doing a bit of banter with then you probably haven't got any real friends, and you need to lighten up from your serious, bitter and stressful life before it sends you to an early grave. Sorry to break this to you all.

I cringed every time it word popped up there.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
House buyer: You've really worked out your banter, haven't you?
Blackadder: No, not really. This is a different thing. It's spontaneous and it's called `wit'.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
House buyer: You've really worked out your banter, haven't you?
Blackadder: No, not really. This is a different thing. It's spontaneous and it's called `wit'.

Sums it up perfectly.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Banter is okay if it's genuinely funny. When thick people say something personal and when they get told to f*** off or get the same back protest banter. I rarely call it banter though, that reminds me of homosexual rugby players downing pints of their friends piss with their foreskin pulled over their head an dateraping women. Anyone using the word Bantz gets a slap.

Agree. ^^

I actually don't think I've ever used the word in a conversation. If I'm taking the piss then it's because we're all ok with it and I'm getting some back, otherwise it's just bullying.

This thread should really be called MISUSE of the word banter.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I reckon MELT is ok as I use it in an ironic way, as it was common during my schooldays and seemed to dissappear for 15 years.

BANTER is terrible. BANTZ is bearable because people can't be using it at straight value, though maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

The worst usage to me, is of the form: "Oh he seems like a top bloke. Great banter"

BLEURGH.

Plenty on here who use "melt" completely unironically.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Piss-taking, arseing about, joshing, being silly and debating are all fine with me.

Just don't call it "banter", as that seems to be a word reserved for only the very dullest exchanges. And, as others have said, if you have to declare "great banter!" it generally means it was probably a spectacularly boring conversation.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
as a synonym for abuse it is what it is

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Banter just brings to mind someone turning up to meet his mates at Wetherspoons on West St dressed in a white shirt from Next and too much hair care product and upon his arrival equally moronic mates yell "Seeeeeaaannnyyy Youuuuuuuuuuu WaaaaankA" "Yeeeahy, shagged yer Mum last night" "WaaaankAAA" while sloshing ghastly cheap lager down themselves. Vile.

- - - Updated - - -

So your user name isn't a quote from when Blackadder pretended to be mad. That is disappointing.

No 'fraid not, Wasn't that Wibble?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here