Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Banter YES, Bigotry NO.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Oh my... what a can of worms. Or then again, we could all just apply a little bit of common sense??

I thought Pikeys where Gypsies, and aren`t gypos from Romania or Bulgaria or something.

What about WORMS ? Surely thats Invertebratist saying that.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Pikey is in fact racist under the law now, as a bloke i know in my town was in fact the first person ever in the country convicted in a British Court Of Law of calling a doorman (in our now town's defunct nightclub) a "pikey" he was given i believe a large fine and community service.
But Palarse scum in my eyes will always be pikey vermin and lower than any other form of life walking our beautiful planet.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Pikey is in fact racist under the law now, as a bloke i know in my town was in fact the first person ever in the country convicted in a British Court Of Law of calling a doorman (in our now town's defunct nightclub) a "pikey" he was given i believe a large fine and community service.
But Palarse scum in my eyes will always be pikey vermin and lower than any other form of life walking our beautiful planet.

Interesting... as that does not accord with the Firle Bonfire ruling. Perhaps it was about context and other associated language/actions used?

Is this the bloke you are talking about.. Lee Coleman?

BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | How offensive is the word 'pikey'?

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
In the run up to the Palace name, when many people's name calling abilities will be stretched to the max, can I kindly remind you of the rules.

By all means take the rip out of each other, so references to Wonky Warehouses, Caravans, JCL's, selling lucky heather etc will be tolerated.

However, racist or homophobic abuse will result in a ban until after 'the' fixture, and perhaps longer too.

Similarly, please keep potty mouths to yourself, there is no need for it.

At a time when we are reflecting on bigger issues, remember that REMF have raised over £100,000 in the last ten years, and some of the credit for this is due to our decent rivals from Croydon. So once again, have fun, but don't go overboard. We have just made our first Nazi ban in relation to excessive language, and will have no qualms repeating the act.

Let the binfest continue, but remember to do your paper rounds tomorrow morning.

I also reckon if someone requests another person to be banned they should be outed on the main board.:thumbsup:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I thought Pikeys where Gypsies, and aren`t gypos from Romania or Bulgaria or something.

What about WORMS ? Surely thats Invertebratist saying that.
I quite like Southern Sid's name of 'Slugs'. There IS something slug-like about Palace fans: crawling, slimey little things with no backbone. Far better than 'pikey' (which is Gillingham) or 'scum' (which is generic, loads of teams use it for their rivals). 'Nigels' is a bit too tame and makes them sound almost human

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
I quite like Southern Sid's name of 'Slugs'. There IS something slug-like about Palace fans: crawling, slimey little things with no backbone. Far better than 'pikey' (which is Gillingham) or 'scum' (which is generic, loads of teams use it for their rivals). 'Nigels' is a bit too tame and makes them sound almost human

I dont usually call em that, but that is my NSC friendly version.:D

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I also reckon if someone requests another person to be banned they should be outed on the main board.:thumbsup:

No. Mods do not respond directly to requests to ban people anyway... they apply the 'rules' such as they are. If that results in a warning, infraction or ban, then so be it.

People should use the 'report post' function - and the mods will deal with it. However, spurious or malicious reporting will also be dealt with firmly.

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
No. Mods do not respond directly to requests to ban people anyway... they apply the 'rules' such as they are. If that results in a warning, infraction or ban, then so be it.

People should use the 'report post' function - and the mods will deal with it. However, spurious or malicious reporting will also be dealt with firmly.

Ok thats sweet.

I just find it so cringey that people actually do that.

All I wanted to do was laugh at them.:cheers:

As a Brighton fan I wonder who is calling who a Pikey? Anyone been to Wild Park (20 minutes walk from the ground) recently? Brighton have built a ground on the edge of East Brighton and 30 minutes from Newhaven. With greatest respect, neither places can be described as Fulham can they, and nor for that matter can Hastings, or "Porta-Slada" or most of the coast . I even saw someone call out a palace fan on drug consumption! This is Brighton we are talking about, the drugs death "capital" of the country! Some on here lack imagination but its plain daft, especially as palace fans come from places like Bromley, Cheam, Coulsdon, Beckenham and all solid middle class areas.

So you keep saying, _zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk, whilst taking a dump.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
So we have a thread about what is acceptable or unacceptable abuse.
I will be perfectly polite to our old rivals from Surrey but will celebrate suitably when revenge for the terrible 0-5 takes place.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Fair enough El Pres.......just for clarification though on the potty mouth issue, we can call them Pikeys that's a given, but what about 'effing Pikeys? and is an 'effing Pikey C going too far? (although probably most accurate description)

:wink:

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
PIKEY is allowed, unless your parents are both CARP or PERCH.

IMO it refers to a general underclass of poorly educated, benefit scrounging, illiterate GOONS, whose ambition in life is to appear on the Jeremy Kyle show with their sister (who may also be their wife).

That's in your opinion. In my opinion it's highly offensive and perhaps even racist. I'm not sure this is the best start to your call for tolerance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here