Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Banter YES, Bigotry NO.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That's in your opinion. In my opinion it's highly offensive and perhaps even racist. I'm not sure this is the best start to your call for tolerance.

Are you offended on behalf of the Crystal palace fans who get called that on here ?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Interesting... as that does not accord with the Firle Bonfire ruling. Perhaps it was about context and other associated language/actions used?

Is this the bloke you are talking about.. Lee Coleman?

BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | How offensive is the word 'pikey'?

But in more recent years it has become a term of abuse and in the eyes of the law using it can even be deemed a racist offence, given its association with Irish travellers and Roma Gypsies.
In December, at Lewes Magistrates' Court, Lee Coleman, 28, admitted using racially-aggravated threatening words and behaviour after a row with a nightclub manageress.
He had told her: "I'm not paying you, pikey."

Yes mate i do know Lee very well and he was actually charged with racially agrrovated abuse !
He never even swore at the girl who was taking the money as i know her too and she told me, so it was purely that he used the word pikey.
It's all a bit strange though as she isn't even a pikey or Gypsy etc so I'm not entirely sure how they came to charge him in the first place !
It's a bit like calling a white person the N word isn't it ??? which is not illegal to use in itself , but then again I suppose it doesn't just offend Black people as I and many other decent people find it a very offensive word to use as well.
So saying that I suppose I'm being hypocritical along with thousands of others saying I'm not racist but still using the word PIKEY !!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That's in your opinion. In my opinion it's highly offensive and perhaps even racist. I'm not sure this is the best start to your call for tolerance.

Fair enough DJ. I honestly don't think it is designated against any race though.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
In the run up to the Palace name, when many people's name calling abilities will be stretched to the max, can I kindly remind you of the rules.

By all means take the rip out of each other, so references to Wonky Warehouses, Caravans, JCL's, selling lucky heather etc will be tolerated.

However, racist or homophobic abuse will result in a ban until after 'the' fixture, and perhaps longer too.

Similarly, please keep potty mouths to yourself, there is no need for it.

At a time when we are reflecting on bigger issues, remember that REMF have raised over £100,000 in the last ten years, and some of the credit for this is due to our decent rivals from Croydon. So once again, have fun, but don't go overboard. We have just made our first Nazi ban in relation to excessive language, and will have no qualms repeating the act.

Let the binfest continue, but remember to do your paper rounds tomorrow morning.

I would have thought suggesting someone is a Gypsy as a form of insult is racist in itself.

Racism against Gypsies is so common, most people don't even consider it racism.

Yet it is.

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
I would have thought suggesting someone is a Gypsy as a form of insult is racist in itself.

Racism against Gypsies is so common, most people don't even consider it racism.

Yet it is.

You got the hump mate?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So, accusing them of all being racist, paedophile bestialitists who perform unspeakable acts of gross indecency on their newly-born puppies while they go out and collect and inject the seaping blood of freshly-raped recently-dead chickens and pigs into their own children in order to make them immune to the rites-of-passage incestuous bonding sessions... can you confirm whether that's just the wrong side of the banter/bigotry line? Yes? No?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Not sure what that means. I find the term offensive. Full stop.

It is supposed to be offensive. It is aimed at Crystal Palace supporters.

Delivered in the same manner as if I called you a big soft Jessie. (not that I would of course)

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Gypsys keep people as slaves !!!!!! SUE ME !!!

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
DJ Sensitive.

Go watch Ghost and shed a tear or summit yeh.

Yeah, nice one. Personally I wouldn't describe myself as sensitive, I guess offence is in the eye of the beholder though. And I wouldn't normally have said anything, I just find it a bit odd that the very call for people to temper their insults is accompanied by the news that a borderline racist term (and an offensive (to me) term full stop) is OK.

Carry on!

Last edited:

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Blimey I bet your a bundle of fun on a Friday night.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk, whilst taking a dump.

If your Friday night consisted largely of calling people you don't know 'Pikeys', and laughing at 'Pikeys and their 'Pikey' ways - then you're probably correct with your implication that I wouldn't be much fun. It don't sound like my kind of thing. Enjoy it though!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So, accusing them of all being racist, paedophile bestialitists who perform unspeakable acts of gross indecency on their newly-born puppies while they go out and collect and inject the seaping blood of freshly-raped recently-dead chickens and pigs into their own children in order to make them immune to the rites-of-passage incestuous bonding sessions... can you confirm whether that's just the wrong side of the banter/bigotry line? Yes? No?

It's on the border Al.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Yes, but the word "gay" isn't a term of abuse in it's general context, is it? Plus I think it was sung in response to a chorus of "sing when you're rimming".

It's interesting to note the comments about use of the word "pikey", as I'm pretty sure there has been a case somewhere or other where that word, as used against a gypsy, was deemed to be racist by the court.

Been any court cases for homophobic verbal abuse? There's law against that too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here