Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bang goes the annual bonus

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Dave the Gaffer said:
just had a call from tates about my megane, having its first MOT.

Small bulb gone - £6
Front pads worn , but more worryingly my front discs have also worn and have to be replaced......£270 - Bloody car has only done 45,000 miles.

Also lots of stuff that thankfully is going to be covered by warranty.

i dread to think what the final bill will be - I am expecting £500+

:down: :down: :down: :down:

small fry for a man of your means

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Lokki 7 said:
The worst thing about this whole Boxster tag is that it is probably my most HATED vehicle on the road. Now of course admitting this fact means I will never hear the end of it.
:foolish:

Shut up and go back to watching American Psycho, slick boy.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Re: Re: Re: bang goes the annual bonus

tedebear said:
You can go somewhere else! I would never go to a main dealer for an MOT, service whilst still in warranty yes I would, but MOT definitely NOT!!

its still in warranty! - just

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Re: Re: Re: Re: bang goes the annual bonus

Dave the Gaffer said:

Ahhh - may still be in the "we've got you by the short and curlies" stage then unfortunately....If someone else touches it - ususally it invalidates your warranty...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ozymandias said:
Similar problem with my Zafira after it's first MOT.

Check the last service report to see what the break pad usage was. If it states that it still had more the 50% left, argue the toss. Ask 'how come I've used 50% in 12 months when it took me 2 years to use the first 50%'. I did and we settled on me paying for the brake pads as I thought three years was reasonable use, and they replaced the disks because either they lied on my previous service or the f**ked up the brake settings during the last service. Obviously they would admit to this, but that can be the only reason.

Dealerships are a complete rip-off.

This time round, I had a broken front spring, for which the wish to charge me £502 of your finest English pounds. Local garage using Vauxhall parts charged £223.

i suppose that is where my argument falls down, because at the 40k service they said the pads were getting low, but as I have done about 6k miles since it transpires that the pads have worn down and "grooved" the discs.

To be honest he could have just told me it in Hebrew, I know absolutely zip about cars.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: bang goes the annual bonus

Dave the Gaffer said:

So it's not gonna cost you £500.00 at all then :angry:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No..the stuff covered by warranty, ie some strange noise from the engine and the automatic choke and timing issues will be paid by warranty.

Discs are not covered by warranty

Dont get angry

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
what's the point!

just means we have 2 days in barca rather than 4

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ozymandias

Jan 31, 2007
Dave the Gaffer said:
i suppose that is where my argument falls down, because at the 40k service they said the pads were getting low, but as I have done about 6k miles since it transpires that the pads have worn down and "grooved" the discs.

To be honest he could have just told me it in Hebrew, I know absolutely zip about cars.

Well I'd have ago. If they were that low then they should have insisted that you change the pads, because it's obvious that the pads wouldn't last until the next service.

Go on Dave, in, twist and withdrawl. It's the only language they understand.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
mr mot is the best - no service, no repairs, just mots, so they wont fleece you by tricking you into paying them to do a load of unessecary work to the car

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just had a quick look regarding the brakes and discs and I would say you are being charged around £235 for labour. Considering at most it would take 1 hour a side, their fitters must be the highest paid in the area!

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Re: Re: bang goes the annual bonus

Icy Gull said:
I have an R registered Alfa which are notorious for mot failures and I've yet to pay more than £300.00 for an mot and that was because it needed new rear discs and pads.
:angry:

Thats midly encouraging. My Alfas having its first MOT on Saturday and I was worried I might have to put the missus back on the streets again

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Re: bang goes the annual bonus

Shirty said:
Thats midly encouraging. My Alfas having its first MOT on Saturday and I was worried I might have to put the missus back on the streets again

Just don't go anywhere near a main dealer for the mot then :nono:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
never failed an MOT and my car (51 plate Pugeout 106) has now done 145,000miles

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
NS Herald said:
Get down to Kwik Fit for your pads & discs and save a fortune
you havin a laugh,i sued them after taking my wifes car their a few years ago,they put on 4 new tyres,got to the flyover,mad knocking sound,called the aa,they hadnt tightened the wheels,could have had the kids in the back:angry: :censored: ,both the manager and the guy that did the job got the sack and i was compensated:p

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove

The Large One said:
If it helps, Dave, Tates are ****s. Absolute tuck-up merchants. Make sure you query EVERYTHING. We've got a Renault, and they seem to find something every time which you know full well is OK. Our annual MoT bill usually exceeds £600.

But short of going somewhere else and getting it done all over again, what can you do?

:angry: :angry: :angry:

I had a Renault once, and was suspicious of the regular large bills, including having a full exhaust fitted when it only needed an end can, and full disks and pads replacement twice in 2 years at £600 a time. (Reault 5 Turbo).
So when it went into Tates for its service, I filled the windscreen washer tank to the brim with fresh pink screenwash.

When it cane time to settle up the horrifically large bill, sure enough, there was a £10 charge for 2 bottles of screenwash.
I queried this, expecting at least an appology for the oversight and a refund, but was astounded to be told that as part of the service, they are required to drain the tank and refill with Renault approved screenwash.

If that wasn't bad enough, I asked to see the screenwash which was used. It turned out to be green in colour.

You've guessed it, when I dragged him out to see my car, my tank was still full to the brim with my original pink screenwash.

Again expecting an appology, I asked for a refund, instead of which, the nice Tates man informed me that screenwash changes colour when its put into the tank because of "trace contaminants".

I refused to pay the full price, and was told that they would keep the car and sell it to settle the bill unless I coughed up.

By this point I was so angry I was in danger of hitting him.
I didn't. I paid and left. Life is too short.

I never went back, and to this day will advise anyone NOT to go to Tates.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Why are you going to main dealer????

Albion Motors (behind Hove Station) Mark or Steve - 778070

The name says it all.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

The Large One said:
If it helps, Dave, Tates are cunts. Absolute tuck-up merchants. Make sure you query EVERYTHING. We've got a Renault, and they seem to find something every time which you know full well is OK. Our annual MoT bill usually exceeds £600.

But short of going somewhere else and getting it done all over again, what can you do?

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Usually exceeds £600.00, did you not learn the first time? if not, dont moan about it do something about it!

the term Dimwit springs to mind!

:shootself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here