Votes: 35 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 42 54.5%

• Total voters

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Icy Gull said:
I know three people that died of lung cancer who had never smoked. I also know someone who lived to 89 who smoked and had been an alcoholic (gin) for 40 years.

You are increasing the odds of dying young, it's not a guarantee as some none smokers would have you believe. As I said earlier living in a big city is as bad, if not worse than smoking 20 a day. Maybe the government would like to stick health warning signs on all entrances to London.

I know this argument and this is why I gave up. I contracted cancer about 3 years ago and was told that it had nothing to do with smoking. However, what made me give up was the thought if it had been self inflicted I dont think I would have coped half as well - The thought that I would have killed myself all for the sake of a cigarette. Now if that dosen't bother you Good luck to you.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I did a crude calculation a few years ago and worked out.

1. to maintain the present level of tax revenue other taxes would have to rise by approx 7p in the pound for each tax payer on average.

This was a few years ago and cig tax revenue and duty rate has gone up since then.

2 This does not include the extra cost of fighting mass baccy smuggling, which this tax addicted gov is finding out anyway.

tobbacco tax was the second biggest source of indirect taxation after fuel, more than alcohol. again based on my calculations about 5 years ago.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hannibal smith said:
I know this argument and this is why I gave up. I contracted cancer about 3 years ago and was told that it had nothing to do with smoking. However, what made me give up was the thought if it had been self inflicted I dont think I would have coped half as well - The thought that I would have killed myself all for the sake of a cigarette. Now if that dosen't bother you Good luck to you.

I agree with what you are saying and it does bother me . I have given up for 3 months. This is about the 4th time I've given up, the longest being 18 months. Having just one puff can put me back on the fags and this time I hope I can resist !

The dangers and consequences just are not as black and white as some make out.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Ban smoking is a joke as smoking is part of every day life and has been for hundreds of years.
Gotta keep the populations down somehow:lolol:

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
I feel it should be banned in restaurants because even I don't like it there, but when down the pub it is something I want to do. It is normal and something that has always happened.

Shuld the government ban seling of alcohol on football days because it starts fights?

IMO it should be up to the bar people etc if they want to ban smoking, it should not be made illegal.

ANyways 'strong' cigarettes are being banned, only 'light' ones will be sold after a certain date, God knows what that date is though???

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
bhaexpress said:
Simple matter of first come first serve. Added to which the vast majority of decent resturants have separate smoking and non smoking areas.

I'm a non smoker remember.

Sorry BHA, have to disagree with you again.

Separate non-smoking sections are a load of bollocks-they are only there for their feel good factor and don't actually contain smoke to the smoking section.

In general, non-smokers do nothing that actively affects smokers whereas smokers affect the well being of non-smokers all of the time they smoke in public places. Maybe we (non smokers) should carry around spray bottles of toxins to direct at smokers we meet in pubs. Light a cig up near me and I'll fill your lungs with some of the 4000 chemicals your cigs inflict on my lungs-seems fair to me...

Passive cigarette smoke is 2 to 4 times as toxic to non-smokers as 'smoked smoke' and that is a fact-I'd prefer it if I didn't get my lungs filled with chemicals that I've chosen to avoid (because they make me cough me frigging guts up). If people want to smoke there are plenty of places for them to do so: at home, in their cars, outdoors.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Banning in public places wont work. How do you define Public? Is a restaunt a public place? is a pub? is a club? is the golf course?

Say i have a pub, and most of my regulars are smokers. As i have a regular pub licence, the new anti-smoking law says i have to be smoke free. But members clubs are exempt, so i change to a members club. Anyone can still wander in of course just like you do into The Zap, you just have to fill in a membership form or present your card. So whats the point if all the pubs turn into such establishment?

Ok, so maybe there wont be any exemptions, and the legislation will be NY style blanket ban on anywhere outside your home. Still wont work as we have a different culture. In the UK we ignore laws that we feel are unjust or do not have popular support. We all speed, we walk on the grass and litter in the street.

How much enforcement do you expect when they dont bother doing anything about people smoking on buses/trains? Without suitable enforcement any law is unworkable.

At the end of the day, it should be upto an establishment wether or not to be all non-smoking. Let the market decide.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Bwian said:
Sorry BHA, have to disagree with you again.

Separate non-smoking sections are a load of bollocks-they are only there for their feel good factor and don't actually contain smoke to the smoking section.

In general, non-smokers do nothing that actively affects smokers whereas smokers affect the well being of non-smokers all of the time they smoke in public places. Maybe we (non smokers) should carry around spray bottles of toxins to direct at smokers we meet in pubs. Light a cig up near me and I'll fill your lungs with some of the 4000 chemicals your cigs inflict on my lungs-seems fair to me...

Passive cigarette smoke is 2 to 4 times as toxic to non-smokers as 'smoked smoke' and that is a fact-I'd prefer it if I didn't get my lungs filled with chemicals that I've chosen to avoid (because they make me cough me frigging guts up). If people want to smoke there are plenty of places for them to do so: at home, in their cars, outdoors.

Well, I have learned to live with it. There's plenty of things (pun intended) that get up my nose more than second hand smoke.

I don't like driving because of the thoughtless and inconsiderate behaviour of some other motorists. Should we ban driving ? I don't like people with B.O. Should we publicly hose them down ?

Oh, and I don't want to pay more income tax and suffer higher crime rates because the government has tried to impose an impossible law. As I said at the top of this thread, prohibition damaged the US far, oh so far more than drinking ever did.

OFAHrulz

Nov 25, 2003
London
I am a smoker and think it should be banned in public places, I would NEVER smoke infront of my daughter and I don't expect others to either, everyone should have a choice as to wether they want to breathe in smoke, and my child dosen't want to :D

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
BN11
n1 gull said:
..........although I don't think you should be able to smoke in restaurants, or where others are enjoying food.........

Perhaps you should have said ..........although I don't think you should smoke in restaurants, or where others are enjoying food.........

It's inconsiderate smokers that make it a problem. It shouldn't be necessary to ban something that clearly offends other people. People just shouldn't do it. End of story.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
bhaexpress said:
Well, I have learned to live with it. There's plenty of things (pun intended) that get up my nose more than second hand smoke.

I don't like driving because of the thoughtless and inconsiderate behaviour of some other motorists. Should we ban driving ? I don't like people with B.O. Should we publicly hose them down ?

Oh, and I don't want to pay more income tax and suffer higher crime rates because the government has tried to impose an impossible law. As I said at the top of this thread, prohibition damaged the US far, oh so far more than drinking ever did.

I've not once said I agree with banning cigarettes-just ban their use in public places where other people don't want to breathe in smoke.

Here's why

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
I had to laugh when I read several polls about smoking being banned full stop! As someone posted earlier, it will just go underground.

I've been shipping in my Marlboro lights from Portugal for over a year - at half the cost.

It works out at £2.74 for 20. Delivery within a week.

I do hold back in restuarants though & generally leave it out until the coffee & mints.

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

Eddie the Seagull said:
I had to laugh when I read several polls about smoking being banned full stop! As someone posted earlier, it will just go underground.

Nah, they banned it down there years ago.

Ban it. I gave up smoking two years ago because I couldn't afford it any more. So I don't see why any other bugger should be allowed to enjoy themselves either.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Of course it shouldn't be banned outright. Apart from bankrupting the country and putting yet another illegal substance on the "quick buck" list for gangsters it's the first step on the road to a nanny state and victory for the health Nazis.

There's nothing more pleasurable than than a rare steak followed by unpasteurised cheese washed down with red wine and a coffee and fag at the end. All of the above could, according to the health Nazi's either kill me (instantly some would have you believe) or at least give me a very nasty stomach bug. I certainly agree that cigarettes do damage you, but at the end of the day I enjoy it and I'm not going to stop. I really don't care how unpopular or un-PC that is.

There - I said it. I love smoking and have no intention of giving up :smokin:

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
CAFC Matt said:
Shuld the government ban seling of alcohol on football days because it starts fights?

Not been to WIthdean have you Matt !

rool

Jul 10, 2003
There - I said it. I love smoking and have no intention of giving up :smokin: [/B][/QUOTE]

Good luck to you, that's not the issue really as you choose to smoke, but the people on the next table in the restaurant or standing by you at the pub don't have a choice whether they breathe in your smoke or not, other than to go elsewhere. Is that fair seeing as it is the majority of the nation that are non smokers.

It's not just about customers either, which is why there is a ban in the workplace in ireland in the new year, it's about the staff who work the bars or restaurants, or should they just get another job if they don't like the smoke?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Oh, Oh, think you may get some adverse replies munster. I agree about the resturant thing and I thenk that a lot of posters are overdoing that a bit. Seldom in a UK resturant have I been bothered by passive smoke. If I am somewhere where I find the polution intrusive I will go elsewhere, after all, if it's already smokey then the smokers were their first.

However, in the workplace where you have little or no choice about where you sit then yes, no smoking. Also, people who slide off for a smoke should be penalised for taking time out to go for a sly drag.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Lol, it's all about opinions really and I haven't insulted anyone, I just highlighted that non smokers don't really have a choice.

The problem with the workplace BHA is that it includes pubs, restaurants, nightclubs, shopping centres, you name it, if people work there it will be banned over here from January. This may even include people who base their business at home if they have staff or customers visit. The penalty is a €2000 euro fine and there is a freephone line to snitch on. There is also talk about that if my children visit my parents, who are both smokers, they may have the right to tell them not to smoke while they are there or face the same penalties. That, in my opinion, is way too far though as no one should be told what they can do in their own premises.

Jul 5, 2003
BN11
munster monch said:
There is also talk about that if my children visit my parents, who are both smokers, they may have the right to tell them not to smoke while they are there or face the same penalties. That, in my opinion, is way too far though as no one should be told what they can do in their own premises.

I don't agree. Does that mean that if I rape, murder or abuse someone in my home that it's OK? Thought not. Let's assume that someone's kids geniunely object to their grandparents smoking around them. If the kids ask them not to do it then they should respect that and it shouldn't take the threat of a 2000 euro fine or whatever to make it happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here