Smoking should it be banned ?

• Yes

Votes: 35 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 42 54.5%

• Total voters

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Of course it's not ok hence I didn't think it was necessary to say it. The point is, IMO, if you visit someone in their own home you generally accept their way of life (excluding all illegal and immoral activities ;) ). That said any caring parents/grand parents would ensure as far as possible that their grand children weren't subjected to their smoke regardless of the threat of a €2000 fine.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well, I'm an ex-smoker who tries not to be sanctimonious about it. Mrs BHA smokes and so does one of her two eldest kids who will live with us. However, she was a smoker before we met and all I can hope for is that she sees the light and stops. I was more than a little surprised at how many Americans smoke. It's a far higher percentage than here, well at least in the area I was in. The cost of fags over there must be a factor. When she was here she was shocked at how costly ours were, maybe high taxation helps reduce smoking here.

My only real problem with smoking is in confined spaces. It's horrific on a long plane ride but thankfully most airlines have banned smoking. Though a minority, there are still those who chose to ignore 'No Smoking' signs and regulations. These people deserve to be prosecuted in my opinion. This seldom happens and the only time I've seen somebody do this was recently when I was on a train. South Central is a no smoking company across the board but there was a woman on this train who had to light up. Not unreasonably a middle aged man (not me !) politely pointed out that it was non smoking only. He was then subjected to an abusive tirade. I stepped in at that point and told her she had no right to be so rude (or words to that effect) as her smoke was bothering me too. I suggested she move down to the corridor to have her smoke and blow it out of the window. I got abused. I also got pissed off ! I went to the guard who then called the Police. She was met at the next station and I understand, duly prosecuted and fined.

Okay a bit extreme but that was a clear case of a smoker blatently abusing non smokers. That's one side of the issue. Yes, smokers in resturants are a pain but as I have said before usually segregated.

However, what I do think is a bloody joke is the smokers in the US who have won a class action against a tobacco company as their product has made them ill. It's been known that cicarettes damage your health for over fifty years although the tobacco companies denied this for a long time. On the other hand, cicarette packaging has been stamped with a health warning since the seventies. If you smoke you can't say you haven't been warned about the health issues so if to do develope a smoking related illness then that's down to you.

As has been said several times where do you stop ? Ban booze ? Ban Sport ? Ban just about anything as it could harm your health ? Even crossing the road might harm your health, you might trip over.

It's a tricky issue and I can see both sides, The only thing I can be sure of is that smoking will not be banned in my life time as the government simply can't afford to.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
bhaexpress said:

As has been said several times where do you stop ? Ban booze ? Ban Sport ? Ban just about anything as it could harm your health ? Even crossing the road might harm your health, you might trip over.

My point on all of this what you do to yourself and what risks you take with yourself is ok, you are probably aware of the possible consequences. It is when you do it at the risk of others who don't have a choice that you have to be a bit more considerate.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
munster monch said:

Good luck to you, that's not the issue really as you choose to smoke, but the people on the next table in the restaurant or standing by you at the pub don't have a choice whether they breathe in your smoke or not, other than to go elsewhere. Is that fair seeing as it is the majority of the nation that are non smokers.

It's not just about customers either, which is why there is a ban in the workplace in ireland in the new year, it's about the staff who work the bars or restaurants, or should they just get another job if they don't like the smoke?

Cobblers. I walk to work every day along a 6 lane multi stacked highway. I don't see the Lancet writing articles asking to ban lorries or taxis. LA is hilarous. You can't smoke in a bar yet, as is pointed out in Bowling for Columbine it's so polluted that you can't even see the Hollywood sign from right underneath it. I agree it's everyone's choice whether to smoke or not but don't give me the passive smoking argument when the world's covered in far more dangerous pollutents and governments worldwide actually encourage it.

Sitting Room Only

Jul 5, 2003
Somewhere off the M1
Ban Alcohol I Say, Then we would all be spared the stories of how drunk you all were last Saturday

Congratulations on that by the way.:shootself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here