Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Balcombe tunnel closed all day

SweBHAFC

Nov 16, 2009
So lets think about this, the police have damaged the tunnel so the Leeds fans cannot get to Brighton and because it makes it a bit dangerous for trains to travel through said tunnel its Southern Rail's fault that they are making these repairs today.

Finally someone at my own intellectual level..... Jeez

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
c59922a406a14fa09bdc0b9c7cd23eff_7.jpg

405000140.png

Are these photos meant to look like they were taken in the 70s?

Seems to be a lot of people standing around with, probably, no communication from Southern.

Sent by the power of squirrel poo

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well, it doesn't help much, but you can claim your "delay" pay from Southern. I claimed for nearly a weeks travel for last years snow and got about £60 back in train vouchers. Not the full amount, admittedly, and vouchers were no use to me, but I still claimed.

P.P. Good job I was working at home anyway today, sounds like I would not have made it in.

Good job I am WFH as well, coffee in town for lunch ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There are some very disturbed people in the world

You only needed to read the9/11 thread to realize that!!!!!

Blimey, what are those things called with lots of wheels and loads of seats on.....erm, oh god. Those things my son sings about the wheels going round on.....erm, er....Busses, that's it.

I take you have no understanding of how much extra time the bus replacement service adds to a journey, coupled with the fact that it is operating during the main rush hour rather than the rather considerably reduced amount of custom on a weekend when they are used for engineering works etc!!!!

See granny's comment above.

No way buses can deal with all that demand and help people such as rool. There is currently 60 min delay at haywards Heath for about 200 commuters waiting to make the 10 mile journey north.

Southern rail is a joke. Paid 4,303 quid for my season ticket. Why can't they be held financially accountable?!

Why is it Southern's fault? Aren't Network Rail responsible for the infrastructure (excepting stations I believe)?

Well, it doesn't help much, but you can claim your "delay" pay from Southern. I claimed for nearly a weeks travel for last years snow and got about £60 back in train vouchers. Not the full amount, admittedly, and vouchers were no use to me, but I still claimed.

P.P. Good job I was working at home anyway today, sounds like I would not have made it in.
Can't you use the vouchers against the price of your next season ticket?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Are these photos meant to look like they were taken in the 70s?

I didn't take them, I saw them on twitter. But I think it's just a filter - certainly the first one was taken with the instagram app on an iphone

Mr C Gull

Feb 1, 2011
Souwf London
Can anyone more knowledgeable about the railways than me tell me if it is possible to use a different line to get from Central London to anywhere near Falmer whilst avoiding said Tunnel? The only way i can think of is far too far west, going via Littlehampton

Someone at work mentioned it might be possible to get to Uckfield and then get a cab from there? But i cant seem to find a train map online so i'm not sure if this is true or not.

Thanks in Advance

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Spoke to a Southern Railways bloke on the train today.

They're sending in structural engineers to look at the tunnel, after a train driver reported a lot of brick debris on the line inside the tunnel - but in classic English parlance 'it's not going to be a five-minute job.' This looks to be a major job in the offing here.

For non-school run times, they are going to commandeer as many buses as possible for the link between Three Bridges and Haywards Heath. If you need to do Brighton - London, he said, and were prepared to take a bit more time, you can either go down to Littlehampton and up to Victoria, or along to Hastings and up to Charing Cross. Either route will add about 90 minutes to your journey.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Can anyone more knowledgeable about the railways than me tell me if it is possible to use a different line to get from Central London to anywhere near Falmer whilst avoiding said Tunnel? The only way i can think of is far too far west, going via Littlehampton

Someone at work mentioned it might be possible to get to Uckfield and then get a cab from there? But i cant seem to find a train map online so i'm not sure if this is true or not.

Thanks in Advance

Only options are via Littlehampton or Hastings, I should add Hastings out of Charing Cross not Victoria then back across via Eastbourne

Last edited:

WallyBanana

Jan 5, 2007
Haywards Heath
I take you have no understanding of how much extra time the bus replacement service adds to a journey, coupled with the fact that it is operating during the main rush hour rather than the rather considerably reduced amount of custom on a weekend when they are used for engineering works etc!!!!
QUOTE]

Hmm let me see........bus taking an indirect route or train travelling north non stop without meeting any traffic. Of course I know busses take longer, but they'll get there eventually!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Has anyone posted on Waccoe to advise Leeds fans to give more time on their journey?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Can't you use the vouchers against the price of your next season ticket?

Good question, and I can't say I know the answer. When I received them, I knew I wouldn't keep them until my season ticket renewal, so gave them away - they could be used for any train ticket on any franchise.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
those pictures look like football mobs gathering for a pwoper nawty toe to toe face off!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here