Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Balcombe tunnel closed all day

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Can anyone more knowledgeable about the railways than me tell me if it is possible to use a different line to get from Central London to anywhere near Falmer whilst avoiding said Tunnel? The only way i can think of is far too far west, going via Littlehampton

Someone at work mentioned it might be possible to get to Uckfield and then get a cab from there? But i cant seem to find a train map online so i'm not sure if this is true or not.

Thanks in Advance

Train to Uckfield, then 28/29 bus to Lewes. Presumably the shutle is stil working from there. It's about a 5 minute walk from the bus to the train station in Lewes, at Uckfield the bus stops by the rail station.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Can anyone more knowledgeable about the railways than me tell me if it is possible to use a different line to get from Central London to anywhere near Falmer whilst avoiding said Tunnel? The only way i can think of is far too far west, going via Littlehampton

Someone at work mentioned it might be possible to get to Uckfield and then get a cab from there? But i cant seem to find a train map online so i'm not sure if this is true or not.

Thanks in Advance

Uckfield can be reached via Oxted, with either a bus (#29) or a taxi from there.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Train to Uckfield, then 28/29 bus to Lewes. Presumably the shutle is stil working from there. It's about a 5 minute walk from the bus to the train station in Lewes, at Uckfield the bus stops by the rail station.

Note to self - read all of thread before contributing!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Just got into London from Hassocks

Left the house at 8.10 - got into London (3 trains and a coach) at 11.15

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010

This is good advice, but it's ONE bus every 30 mins, partially full as it comes from Tunbridge Wells. It will not be a great choice if 100s try the same route.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
As the crow flies how many miles is it from uckfield to Falmer exactly? Surely the London - Uckfield route is the only viable route without leaving yourself at the mercy or a bus replacement service?

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
This is good advice, but it's ONE bus every 30 mins, partially full as it comes from Tunbridge Wells. It will not be a great choice if 100s try the same route.

Well if its the best route the bus and rail service need to talk and get extra services on.

seagulls

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What about National Express coaches from Gatwick? Not ideal, but another option. Albeit slow.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Is that bloke who stood outside HH station making fart noises with his hands when people walked past still there? What a jolly time he would be having this morning.

And what is that opposite the Burrell where the Off Licence used to be?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
As far as I can see the last train from Uckfield to London is 22:34. That seems very tight if correct

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
I am confused. So the tunnel has just shown signs of a safety risk requiring it to be closed? Has anybody checked the Viaduct cause i am sure i saw a brick fall off of it when i last drove past.

VeronaSeagull

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I am confused. So the tunnel has just shown signs of a safety risk requiring it to be closed? Has anybody checked the Viaduct cause i am sure i saw a brick fall off of it when i last drove past.

It was closed this morning for inspection but is now closed all day for emergency repairs so suspect they found something that needed immediate attention. Bit of a pain, hope they fix it by tomorrow as Three BRidges station is closed all day tomorrow so will be bus to Gatwick and back

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm driving down to game with Mrs from Horsham - happy to take 3 (at a squeeze) and drop back at Three Bridges if line still closed after game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here