Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baker On Phone-In This Sat.......CONFIRMED

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
damn it, i'm working till 6 tomorrow :down:

any chance someone can record and upload it, please?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I might be inclined to ask whether instead of devoting so much time to blocking Falmer, he doesn't address the issue of the A27 death trap road.

The relevance is that virtually every time i travel over from Eastbourne for home games, i witness some idiot driving, usually overtaking, and a dual carriageway is the obvious solution.

Come on Mr Baker focus on something that will save lives rather than obstructing something that will provide a lot of pleasure to many people and the community.

Remember folks if you do get through don't lose the battle by resorting to swearing etc

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am sure that SCR could arrange it that the most knowledgeable people are the ones that are put through first i.e Paul Samrah. Adrian Newhouse, Ed Batsford, Martin (Perry) from Shoreham, etc that could take up a lot of the program and stop Enid from East Preston or Pam from Pevensey who thinks that 'you are a nice man really just misunderstood'.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
BensGrandad said:
I am sure that SCR could arrange it that the most knowledgeable people are the ones that are put through first i.e Paul Samrah. Adrian Newhouse, Ed Batsford, Martin (Perry) from Shoreham, etc that could take up a lot of the program and stop Enid from East Preston or Pam from Pevensey who thinks that 'you are a nice man really just misunderstood'.

Could'nt agree more and we need Harty to keep the pressure on Baker all the way through. There may have been a few bridges built between Harty & DK last week but this week Harty needs to Take it to Baker in a big way! You've got him there Harty now don't waste the oppertunity fella.

The main difficulty about debating the Falmer issue with Baker has always been that he really doesn't know very much about the subject. The widely held view that he has been in some way leading the opposition is quite simply not the case. He didn't follow the progress of the planning application through the Public Inquiries and I doubt if he has read either of the Inspectors' Reports or even Prescott's decision letter.

Despite all the evidence, he still seems to believe that there has to be an alternative site to Falmer (although, when pressed, he has never been able to name it).

He doesn't like the Club - because he believes it is too close to the Labour Council in Brighton and Hove. And he believes that a Labour government is therefore predisposed to say YES to whatever the Club and the Council want - again this shows his ignorance of the planning process which has established that there IS a good case for the stadium at Falmer and that there is no other site.

In terms of his own political success, he has always been heavily dependant upon the votes of supporters of the countryside - my guess is that he has weighed up his options and still judges it to be important to appeal to those people. The fact that Falmer is NOT a countryside location is neither here nor there to him - as long as the countryside lobby says it is, he will want to be seen to be backing them.

All this adds up, in my view, to saying that there is very little point in debating the issue with him. He isn't interested in the facts, he won't change his mind, and he'll simply reiterate the arguments that he has put before - the Club shouldn't have left the Goldstone, Brighton and Hove Council are simply supporting the Club for political reasons, and there must be another site.

I believe he has agreed to appear on the phone in for one simple reason – he thinks it is an opportunity to divide opinion further. In particular, he wants to establish that the fans have reasons not to trust the Board – that’s why he raised that ridiculous “hotel” issue a couple of weeks back. As he said to me, before that story broke, “Did you know that Martin Perry isn’t telling the whole truth?”

No, Norman, it’s YOU who are twisting the story.

Last edited:

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Thanks Ed for putting it so clearly. You are absolutely right. There are other agendas in the mind of Baker. But I do hope that you, Paul & Ade give him a kicking tomorrow night.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Lovely stuff, have keyed the number into my mobile already.

"Soooo, Mr Baker... can we please have your views, once and for all, on the record, about McGhee's treatment of Leon Knight...?" :jester:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lord Bracknell said:

He isn't interested in the facts, he won't change his mind, and he'll simply reiterate the arguments that he has put before - the Club shouldn't have left the Goldstone,

He is right we shouldn't have left The Goldstone but I am sure that the people that I mentioned earlier could be forceful enough to make the point that there is nobody connected with the club who had any say in the selling of and moving from The Goldstone. The present board are trying to make the best of a very bad job, that was instigated by amongst others, the previous Liberal Democratic MP for Eastbourne.

We have not got to persuade Baker that he is wrong , because we will never do that, or at least he will not admit it. What we have got to do is win over the majority of listeners to SCR especially those living in Lewes,that way we will be more effective in winning our battle.

ps Just thought is Adrians name Newhouse or is it Newnham, sorry if I got it wrong, but I am sure that he will know who I mean.

Last edited:

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
My mobile isn't working at the mo. Can someone please ask the following question to Mr. Baker.

"Have the Liberal Democrats given you any advice or direction on how they would like you to handle the Falmer situation?"

Many thanks

Paul aka Dover.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Harty. Maybe you could raise the point with Baker that if Falmer was such a major issue to the people of Falmer & Lewes why we have not seen one public protest, demonstration or march from the opponents of Falmer, whilst the pro Falmer lobby have managed to get tens of thousands of people to vote in a referendum, sign petitions, write letters and go on demonstrations in support of the development.

He laughs at us for turning up at the Liberal conference to demonstrate, yet where were his Anti Falmer Nimby Army when it was time to stand up and be counted?

The answer is simple - they would be laughed out of Brighton when only a handful of people turn up showing the real level of support the Nimbys have.

That's an excellent question, Superseagull. Someone might care to add a supplementary ... why was it that, in just ONE WEEK, over 5,000 residents of Lewes (not just football supporters) signed a petition against their council's appeal to the High Court, when it took you several months to get fewer signatures for your petition against the incinerator at Newhaven?

Last edited:

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
desprateseagull said:
Is SCR on a freeview radio channel? with a digital recorder thingy it may be possible to set a recirding in advance..

Could someone please record this as a podcast? I'm in Oz, so can't tune in to SCR and it will be on 3am my time - would be nice to listen to it tomorrow please?

Go on, i'll be your best friend!!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Lord Bracknell said:
I believe he has agreed to appear on the phone in for one simple reason – he thinks it is an opportunity to divide opinion further. In particular, he wants to establish that the fans have reasons not to trust the Board – that’s why he raised that ridiculous “hotel” issue a couple of weeks back. As he said to me, before that story broke, “Did you know that Martin Perry isn’t telling the whole truth?”

DK, MP - legends. Simple :clap: :clap: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here