Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bakayoka on trial at Millwall

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
London Irish said:
That's funny, I could have swore that every one of his 16 senior appearances had been at leftback and none whatsoever at centre back.
Yes, even though he's grown up and gone through the youth team as a centre back... Gary Hart has played more than 16 games at right back, does that make him a right back even though he's a striker?... But then again, playing half the squad out of position worked alright last year didn't it?... Nothing to worry about, please accept my apologies London English.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Trigger said:
Yes, even though he's grown up and gone through the youth team as a centre back... Gary Hart has played more than 16 games at right back, does that make him a right back even though he's a striker?... But then again, playing half the squad out of position worked alright last year didn't it?... Nothing to worry about, please accept my apologies London English.

Kevin Phillips used to play FB, so even though he plays up front does that mean he is still classed as a FB? Just because someone has a position they usually play it doesn't mean they can't play other roles, or that a player can't have more than 1 natural position.

Trigger said:
Yes, even though he's grown up and gone through the youth team as a centre back...
So exactly the same as Adam Virgo then, who when we got promoted was also playing full-back? Yes or no?

You might be right that Gary Hart isn't right at full-back, that was certainly one of the lessons of last night.

But it depends on the player whether they can adjust or not. Making dogmatic assertions that no player can ever adapt is just plain dumb.

Last edited:

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
the wanderbus said:
or perhaps at 19 we don't want "another one for the future" ffs everyone's moaning that we need experience then moaning that we dont sign an untried defender

Spot on.:clap: :clap:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
London Irish said:
But it depends on the player whether they can adjust or not. Making dogmatic assertions that no player can ever adapt is just plain dumb.
Quite, it can work in moderation but when you have 3,4,5 or even 6 of the starting line up doing it like it's looking we might as per last season then that is when you struggle as per last season Mr English.

Loft23

Dec 11, 2004
Burgess Hill
London Irish said:
That's funny, I could have swore that every one of his 16 senior appearances had been at leftback and none whatsoever at centre back.

Your right but I think his original position was Centre back.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Tom Brighton also had a good game today apparently. I guess it's also Magoo's fault that Millwall have the money to take gambles left right and centre as they have money and a ground.

Wrong person getting the blame AGAIN :rolleyes:

1066gull

This is f***ing depressing me:down:

At a time where football rules my life, I feel suicidal because were such a shit club at the moment with an INEPT MANAGER who is taking us for our second successive relegation.:cry:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Adriodinho said:
This is f***ing depressing me:down:

At a time where football rules my life, I feel suicidal because were such a shit club at the moment with an INEPT MANAGER who is taking us for our second successive relegation.:cry:

suicida;? because of football? because we haven't even kicked a ball this season and have NO IDEA what's going to happen?

Don't make me laugh!

Trigger said:
Quite, it can work in moderation but when you have 3,4,5 or even 6 of the starting line up doing it like it's looking we might as per last season then that is when you struggle as per last season Mr English.

What game did we play 6 players out of position? The very most was probably 3 and that's only if you count OGH as "playing out of position" as a forward, which is dubious.

We probably played more players out of position in the season we stayed up in the Championship, eg. Virgs up front and Hinsh in midfield.

bew4194 said:
Your right but I think his original position was Centre back.

So what? Didn't Dan Harding play in midfield for the youth? So he should never have been tried as a leftback by that logic?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
McGhee said after Colchester (discussing the 'centre half crisis') that they weren't even sure that Lynch could play CH at this level - as he'd never been tried. If fit, I can't see him playing anywhere else but LB on Saturday - although the cynics will obviously see it differently.

Also, Wilkins's approach to managing the youth team was always to ensure that players were comfortable playing in different positions - so none of this should be new to any of the youngsters.

However, the 'MM outers' on NSC seem very uncomfortable having to shift position.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
fosters headband said:
To be fair, we probably knew he would not sign for £6 a week

You say that but the club were prepared to pay Dichio's wages so they must have been able to afford the LB's. It's another example of MM letting good players slip through his fingers.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
paddy said:
You say that but the club were prepared to pay Dichio's wages .

Really? How come we gave up on Tom Brighton when he was on a free 6 months after we "supposedly" offered 100k.

The fantasy PR from the club seems to still be working, how long before fans start to question whether this money is really available.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Icy Gull said:
Really? How come we gave up on Tom Brighton when he was on a free 6 months after we "supposedly" offered 100k.

The fantasy PR from the club seems to still be working, how long before fans start to question whether this money is really available.

Because we got relegated and his wages would not fit into the wage structure. If we were still in the Championship they would, largely due to the huge difference in TV money.

Elms

May 11, 2004
Horsham
I went to the game with a Millwall supporting mate of mine...the french lad a full-back looked very average to be fair, I wouldn't expect them to be signing him on that basis (fairly lively going forward - fairly clueless defensively). For what it's worth, Tom Brighton was also very quiet on the left flank...but apparently he had a good game against Reading in the week.
You can't read into these friendlies too much, but on what I saw Millwall wont be setting League One on fire. Interestingly, their fans were talking about the need for a big target man - so we're all in the same boat, and I'm sure the Albion are lower down in the pecking order when these players become available.
Byfield was ineffective upfront (& looked very lazy), their most lively player was Marvin Williams(?) on the right flank - he has electrifying pace, but unfortunately went off injured in second half.
Palace were pretty naff, and very one-paced. Don't know what they've been doing in pre-season so far as most of them looked a stone or two overweight.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Why is it Mcghees fault we have'nt signed anyone ffs..
until the board ie..KNIGHT backs him up and gives him some money we wont sign f*** all...Give him a chance..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here