Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BAG has been accepted into Nottingham Uni

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
the full harris said:
it takes more than A grades to get into cambridge.

my sister got straight As in the hardest combination of A levels imaginable (maths, chemistry, biology) but, after interview, they didn't offer her a place anyway. it is not suited to everyone.

Remember I said her honours degree was in Mathmatical Physics.

Her A levels were Maths (done in one year) Further Maths, Physics (she got the school prize for Physics) Chemistry and General Studies.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
You daughter sounds way way cleverer then me. I could never get the hang of maths and science. Got Cs and Bs in them at GCSE but would never have taken them at A level.

Just out of interest Yorkie, why did you :rolleyes: earlier in the thread? Did you have suspisions about why your daughter was not offered a place at Cambridge?

Im honestly not taking the piss there just curious because I know a lot of people do get a bit suss over Oxbridge applications.

PS - Do uni worth their salt actually counts General Studies ;) ( i fully expect to get slagged off for that but our college told us as much)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Most Uni's only take the 3 main subjects results so no General Studies are disregarded.

Huddersfield New College (where my daughter did her A levels) has never had a pupil accepted in either Oxford or Cambridge despite having had several pupils with straight A's.
If I had lived a couple of miles down the road in Liversedge my daughter would have gone to Heckmondwike Grammar School (an old survivor) who had several Oxbridge pupils.

In retrospect I am glad she didn't go to Cambridge but it would be better in this country if all pupils were given equal chances.

There have been several cases in the press and Universities have been told that they should accept more Comprehensive school pupils.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I see where you are coming from.

I went to a comprehensive and we had quite a few Oxbridge students. Also, one boy in our class who applied got straight As and did not get in. He was definitely upper middle class and his Dad was a director of a large national company. At the same time a kid nicknamed Munch got in, as did his brother three years before, despite not being middle class.

I guess it just depends on the course and the strength of the other candidates going for the extremely limited places.

I dont think there is a big class conspiracy. If anything, Oxbridge et al are leaning toward favouring working class children now because of the amount of criticism they have recieved.

This might not have been the case 9 years ago though so cannot really comment on what it was like then.

Sounds like your daughter did pretty well anyway though. From the sound of things she would have done well regardless of what uni she went to.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
As I said she thoroughly enjoyed being at Nottm and had a job lined up as soon as she got her degree. Both she and my son in law are Chartered Accountants and I am hoping will keep me in my old age in the manner to which I hope to become accustomed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here